Proving Metric Space: (X,\bar\rho) is Positive Definite

In summary, we are trying to prove that if a metric space (X,\rho) is given, then the modified metric space (X,\bar\rho) is also a metric space. We can show this by proving that the modified metric space is positive definite, meaning that it cannot be less than 0. We can show this by showing that if x is not y, then the modified metric is greater than 0 since the original metric is greater than 0. Additionally, we can show that if x is equal to y, then the modified metric is equal to 0. We can also use this concept to prove that a function f is continuous with respect to the modified metric if and only if it is continuous with respect
boneill3

Homework Statement

Prove that if [itex] (X,\rho) [/itex]is a metric space then so is [itex](X,\bar\rho)[/itex], where
[itex]
\bar\rho:X \times X \Rightarrow R_{0}^{+}, (x,y) \Rightarrow \frac{\rho(x,y)}{1+\rho(x,y)}.
[/itex]

Homework Equations

I'm trying to prove the axiom that a metric space is positive definate.

The Attempt at a Solution

because given [itex] (X,\rho) [/itex] is a metric space is it enough to say that [itex](X,\bar\rho)[/itex], cannot be [itex]< 0 [/itex] because [itex] (X,\rho) [/itex] cannot be [itex]< 0 [/itex] ? ie the limit of [itex](X,\bar\rho)[/itex] is 0 as [itex] (X,\rho) [/itex] tends to zero ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if x is not y, then [itex]
\bar\rho
[/itex] is greater than 0 since [itex]
\rho
[/itex] is greater than 0 for this case.
If x=y, then it is clear that [itex]
\bar\rho
[/itex] is 0 as you have [itex]
\rho(x,x)

[/itex] = 0 in the numerator.

Thanks for your help.

I have also got to prove the following
Let [itex](Y, \theta)[/itex] be a metric space. Prove the following.
[itex] f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex] is continuous with respect to [itex]\bar\rho [/itex] if and only if it is continuous with respect to [itex]\rho[/itex]

I know I have to show that the inverse of Open sets in Y are open in X and visa versa how ever I'm not sure how to represent the open sets in [itex]\bar\rho[/itex]

ie if I was proving [itex](X,\rho)[/itex] and [itex](Y,\theta)[/itex]

I would show that for each [itex] G \subseteq Y[/itex] that [itex]f^{-1}(G) [/itex]is an open [itex] \subseteq X [/itex] whenever [itex]G[/itex] isan open subset of [itex]Y[/itex]

As the metric space [itex]\bar\rho[/itex] uses the metric [itex]\rho[/itex] how to I incorporate that into the proof ?

Let f be continuous wrt [itex]
\rho
[/itex] and let G be open in Y. Then, as you pointed out, [itex]
f^{-1}(G)
[/itex] is open in X. Let a be a point in [itex]
f^{-1}(G)
[/itex] = A. Then, A is open in X implies that neighborhoods of a are in A (under the rho metric). Write out what these neighborhoods look like. They look like {y | ||a-y||[itex]
\rho
[/itex]
< e }, and these neighborhoods are in X. Now what do the neighborhoods look like under the [itex]
\bar\rho
[/itex] metric and how do they relate to the usual neighborhoods?

Does this look alright ?
I've tried to use Open balls of radius [itex]\delta[/itex] and [itex]\psi[/itex]

So I have three metric spaces

[itex](X,\rho)[/itex]
[itex](X,\bar\rho)[/itex]
and
[itex](Y, \theta)[/itex]
and a function
[itex] f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex]
which is continuous wrt [itex](X,\rho)[/itex]

So given [itex]f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex]continous wrt [itex]\rho[/itex].

Take a neighbourhood [itex]B_{\rho}(a,\delta) = {x \in X \mid \rho(x,a) < \delta } [/itex]

Then for each [itex]\epsilon > 0
[/itex] there is an [itex] \delta > 0 [/itex]

Such that we have [itex]B_{\rho}(a,\delta) \leq \theta(f(x),f(a)) < \epsilon[/itex] As [itex] f [/itex] is continuous

To show that [itex] f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex] is continuous wrt [itex]\bar\rho[/itex] we need to to find a [itex]B_{\rho}(b,\psi) \subset B_{\rho}(a,\delta)[/itex]

So we can take [itex]\psi = \delta - \rho(b,a)[/itex]

if
[itex]\rho(x,b) < \psi[/itex]
then
[itex]\rho(x,a) \leq \rho(x,b)+\rho(x,a)[/itex]
[itex] \rho(x,a) < \psi+ \delta - \psi = \delta[/itex]

So we can know show that:
[itex] f : X \rightarrow Y [/itex] is continuous wrt [itex]\bar\rho[/itex]

[itex]0 < B_{\bar\rho}(x,\psi) < \rho(f(x),f(b)) \leq B_{\rho}(a,\delta) \leq \theta(f(x),f(a)) < \epsilon[/itex]

What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that consists of a set of objects and a function that measures the distance between any two objects in the set. This function is called a metric and it follows certain properties, such as non-negativity, symmetry, and the triangle inequality.

What does it mean for a metric space to be positive definite?

A metric space (X, d) is said to be positive definite if the distance between any two distinct points in the space is always positive. This means that the metric function d(x,y) is always greater than 0 for any two points x and y in the space X.

What is the importance of proving that a metric space is positive definite?

Proving that a metric space is positive definite is important in the field of mathematics, particularly in the study of topology and analysis. It ensures that the distance between any two points in the space is always meaningful and that the properties of the metric are preserved.

How do you prove that a metric space is positive definite?

To prove that a metric space (X, d) is positive definite, you need to show that the distance function d(x,y) satisfies the property of being always greater than 0 for any two distinct points x and y in the space X. This can be done by using mathematical techniques such as proofs by contradiction or direct proofs.

What are some examples of positive definite metric spaces?

Some examples of positive definite metric spaces include the Euclidean space, the discrete metric space, and the taxicab metric space. In these spaces, the distance between any two points is always positive and the properties of the metric are preserved.