Proving Poiseuille's Equation for Pressure Drop

• Thread starter anooop
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the pressure drop of a fluid in laminar flow through a cylindrical tube, given by the Hagen-Poiseuille equation. The proof requires advanced knowledge of mathematics and is typically taught in undergraduate courses. The conversation also mentions the desire to understand three topics in Mechanics of Continuous Media, specifically the proof of Stokes's law, Poiseuille equation, and elastic constants and their inter-relation. One book, "Physical Fluid Mechanics" by D.J Tritton, is mentioned as a useful resource for understanding the proof.
anooop

Homework Statement

Prove that pressure drop (ΔP) of a fluid, in laminar flow, through a cylindrical tube is given by
ΔP=(8QμL)/π(r)^4
where

Q = volumetric flow rate
μ = viscosity,
L = tube length, in
R = tube radius, in

Homework Equations

please do not use dimensional analysis to prove.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I have decent knowledge of taylor series.
Apart from "Mechanics of Continuous Media",i have good understanding of other undergraduate physics topics as well.
I do not have enough time to go through the whole of fluid dynamics.
i want to know only 3 things in Mechanics of Continuous Media
(a) proof of stokes's law,poiseuille equation,elastic constants and their inter-relation.
please help with these topics.

I have decent knowledge of taylor series.
Apart from "Mechanics of Continuous Media",i have good understanding of other undergraduate physics topics as well.
I do not have enough time to go through the whole of fluid dynamics.
i want to know only 3 things in Mechanics of Continuous Media
(a) proof of stokes's law,poiseuille equation,elastic constants and their inter-relation.
please help with these topics.

NOw i know the proof of stokes's law,poiseuille equation.
I never believed that the proof would be such a general one(u only need to know Newton's law).
All book except one(physical fluid mechanics by d.j tritton)were providing proof after digging into 100s of pages of fluid dynamics .
thanks D.J TRITTON
thanks you as well, even for not helping me.

Related to Proving Poiseuille's Equation for Pressure Drop

What is Poiseuille's Equation for Pressure Drop?

Poiseuille's Equation for Pressure Drop is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the pressure drop in a fluid flowing through a cylindrical pipe and the fluid's viscosity, flow rate, and pipe diameter. It was developed by French physicist Jean Léonard Marie Poiseuille in the 19th century.

How is Poiseuille's Equation derived?

Poiseuille's Equation is derived from the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of a viscous fluid. By making certain assumptions and simplifications, Poiseuille was able to derive a simpler equation that relates pressure drop to fluid properties and pipe geometry.

What are the assumptions made in Poiseuille's Equation?

Poiseuille's Equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible, the flow is laminar (smooth and non-turbulent), and the pipe is long and straight with a constant cross-sectional area. It also assumes that the fluid has a constant viscosity and that there are no external forces acting on the fluid.

What are the practical applications of Poiseuille's Equation?

Poiseuille's Equation is commonly used in the fields of fluid mechanics and engineering to calculate pressure drops in various systems, such as pipes, blood vessels, and ventilation systems. It is also used in the design and optimization of fluid flow systems, such as in chemical and petroleum industries.

Are there any limitations to Poiseuille's Equation?

Yes, Poiseuille's Equation is only valid for laminar flow and does not account for the effects of turbulence. It also assumes a constant viscosity, which may not hold true for all fluids. Additionally, it does not take into account the compressibility of the fluid, which may be significant in certain applications.