Proving Prime Numbers: The Equation Test for Primality

In summary, we discussed the possibility of proving that a derived equation of a prime number will also be prime, and whether such a polynomial exists. It has been proven that polynomials in p do not always result in prime numbers for all prime values of p. However, there is an exotic function that is prime for all prime values of p, though it is considered to be useless.
l-1j-cho
how do you prove, if p is prime, then a derived equation of p is prime, if true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi l-1j-cho! :smile:

What exactly do you mean with "a derived equation of p"?

hello!

uhm, I don't know anything in particular, but something like
if p is prime, the following equation is prime
or if p is prime, (2^p -1) is prime such things

l-1j-cho said:
hello!

uhm, I don't know anything in particular, but something like
if p is prime, the following equation is prime
or if p is prime, (2^p -1) is prime such things
You can't be saying "if p is prime, (2^p - 1) is prime" because that is not true for p = 11. But it is easy to show that (2^p -1) can be prime only if p is prime. As for equations being prime, do you mean proving that a polynominal is not factorable into the product of two polynominals of lower degree? Or do you mean to show that a certain polynomial in n yields primes for all positive values of n less than a certain integer?

Last edited:
oh right my apology

I mean polynomials that is expressed in terms of p.
obviously, polynomials like p^2+5p+6 is not prime because if can be factored to (p+2)(p+3)
but my question is, how do you prove that a random polynomials always spits out a prime number whenever we plug in a prime number?

but before that, would such polynomial exist?
(not necesarrily polynomials but exponents or other stuff)

l-1j-cho said:
oh right my apology

I mean polynomials that is expressed in terms of p.
obviously, polynomials like p^2+5p+6 is not prime because if can be factored to (p+2)(p+3)
but my question is, how do you prove that a random polynomials always spits out a prime number whenever we plug in a prime number?

but before that, would such polynomial exist?
(not necesarrily polynomials but exponents or other stuff)
It has been proven that such polynominals don't exist since if P(n) is prime then P(n+a*prime) is also divisible by "prime",
. Don't know but very much doubt that there is some exotic function in P that is prime for all prime P.

Last edited:
thank you!

ramsey2879 said:
P(n+a*prime) is also divisible by prime,
QUOTE]

sorry but, could you explain about this more?

ramsey2879 said:
It has been proven that such polynominals don't exist since if P(n) is prime then P(n+a*prime) is also divisible by "prime",
. Don't know but very much doubt that there is some exotic function in P that is prime for all prime P.

The fun thing that there IS such a function! The function is totally useless, but it exists: http://www.math.hmc.edu/funfacts/ffiles/10003.5.shtml

l-1j-cho said:
ramsey2879 said:
P(n+a*prime) is also divisible by prime,
QUOTE]

sorry but, could you explain about this more?

Sure 3p +2 = 23 for p = 7, so for p = 7 + a*23 e.g. for p = 7,30,53,... ,3p + 2 is divisible by 23 and hence not prime. The same goes for any polynominal in p.

What is the definition of a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself.

How do you prove that a number is prime?

One way to prove that a number is prime is by using the Sieve of Eratosthenes, which involves eliminating all multiples of a number until only the initial number remains.

What is the largest known prime number?

As of 2021, the largest known prime number is 2^(82,589,933) − 1, which has over 24 million digits.

Can all numbers be proven to be prime or composite?

No, there are some numbers that are considered "probable primes" because they have not been proven to be either prime or composite using current methods. However, they are still treated as prime numbers in many applications.

What is the significance of proving prime numbers?

Proving prime numbers is important in cryptography and computer science, as well as in pure mathematics. It helps us to understand the properties of numbers and can be used in various mathematical algorithms and applications.