Proving Rational Difference Exists in Finite Measure Subset [0,1]

In summary: I'm not entirely sure what my argument has shown, but it seems to imply something. In summary, the set S constructed in this way is not countable.
AxiomOfChoice
This is a practice final exam problem that has been giving me fits: Let [itex]E[/itex] be a Lebesgue measurable subset of the interval [itex][0,1][/itex] that has finite measure. Show that there exist two points [itex]x,y \in E[/itex] such that [itex]x-y[/itex] is rational.

Physics news on Phys.org
AxiomOfChoice said:
This is a practice final exam problem that has been giving me fits: Let [itex]E[/itex] be a Lebesgue measurable subset of the interval [itex][0,1][/itex] that has finite measure. Show that there exist two points [itex]x,y \in E[/itex] such that [itex]x-y[/itex] is rational.

Moved to HH. Could you please post your work so far? Thanks.

Well, I haven't done much, as I'm rather stumped here. My professor gave me the following hint: "countable unions." He also mentioned that examining the non-measurable set constructed with the axiom of choice might help. But this sort of has me even more baffled.

Why don't you start by summarizing for us the construction of the non-measurable set you're referring to? If it's the usual construction in most textbooks, it should start by defining an equivalence relation on the unit interval, such that two points [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are equivalent if and only if [itex]x - y[/itex] is rational. That seems like a promising start.

jbunniii said:
Why don't you start by summarizing for us the construction of the non-measurable set you're referring to? If it's the usual construction in most textbooks, it should start by defining an equivalence relation on the unit interval, such that two points [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are equivalent if and only if [itex]x - y[/itex] is rational. That seems like a promising start.

That is exactly it. We consider an equivalence relation on [itex][0,1][/itex] defined as follows: [itex]x\sim y[/itex] if [itex]x - y \in \mathbb Q[/itex]. We then employ the Axiom of Choice and choose one member [itex]x_\alpha[/itex] from each equivalence class [itex]E_\alpha[/itex], and define the set [itex] N = \{x_\alpha \}[/itex]. The uncountability of [itex]N[/itex] follows from the fact that [itex]N[/itex] must satisfy [itex]1 \leq \sum_{k=1}^\infty m(N) \leq 3[/itex] (where [itex]m[/itex] denotes Lebesgue measure).

Last edited:
OK, now let's consider your set [itex]E[/itex]. Suppose the assertion were not true. Then there do not exist two distinct points [itex]x,y \in E[/itex] such that [itex]x - y \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex].

Now consider the implication in terms of the equivalence classes [itex]E_\alpha[/itex]. What is the maximum number of elements of [itex]E[/itex] that can be contained in each class [itex]E_\alpha[/itex]?

P.S. I am assuming that in the problem statement, "finite measure" should really be "finite NON-ZERO measure." Otherwise the statement is false, as the example [itex]E = \{0, 1/\sqrt{2}\}[/itex] demonstrates.

jbunniii said:
P.S. I am assuming that in the problem statement, "finite measure" should really be "finite NON-ZERO measure." Otherwise the statement is false, as the example [itex]E = \{0, 1/\sqrt{2}\}[/itex] demonstrates.

You're right. Actually, instead of finite, I should have said "positive" (which I'm assuming means [itex]0 < mE < \infty[/itex]).

jbunniii said:
OK, now let's consider your set [itex]E[/itex]. Suppose the assertion were not true. Then there do not exist two distinct points [itex]x,y \in E[/itex] such that [itex]x - y \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex].

Now consider the implication in terms of the equivalence classes [itex]E_\alpha[/itex]. What is the maximum number of elements of [itex]E[/itex] that can be contained in each class [itex]E_\alpha[/itex]?

(1) You're very kind to help me out with this. Thanks. I'd buy you a beer if I could. (Or a glass of wine; whichever floats your boat.)

(2) Ah, I think I see...so each equivalence class consists of a single point: Given [itex]x,y\in E[/itex], [itex]x \sim y[/itex] iff [itex]x = y[/itex]. I guess this means there must be uncountably many equivalence classes, then, since [itex]mE > 0[/itex] implies it's necessarily uncountable. More importantly, don't we have [itex]N = \{ x_\alpha \} = E[/itex]? I guess we can derive a contradiction from this?

Last edited:
Yes, "positive" makes more sense than "finite." In fact, [itex]m(E) \leq m([0,1]) = 1[/itex] so finiteness is automatic.

OK, so far we have established that each equivalence class contains at most one point of [itex]E[/itex].

Now we can use the axiom of choice to construct a set [itex]S[/itex] containing one point of [itex]E \cap E_\alpha[/itex] for each equivalence class [itex]E_\alpha[/itex] for which [itex]E \cap E_\alpha[/itex] is non-empty. Since each [itex]E_\alpha[/itex] contains at most one point of [itex]E[/itex], what can you say about [itex]S[/itex]?

P.S. I love Belgian ales.:smile:

jbunniii said:
Yes, "positive" makes more sense than "finite." In fact, [itex]m(E) \leq m([0,1]) = 1[/itex] so finiteness is automatic.

OK, so far we have established that each equivalence class contains at most one point of [itex]E[/itex].

Now we can use the axiom of choice to construct a set [itex]S[/itex] containing one point of [itex]E \cap E_\alpha[/itex] for each equivalence class [itex]E_\alpha[/itex] for which [itex]E \cap E_\alpha[/itex] is non-empty. Since each [itex]E_\alpha[/itex] contains at most one point of [itex]E[/itex], what can you say about [itex]S[/itex]?

Ok. I think my argument above has shown that each equivalence class consists of *exactly* one point, and that if we apply the Axiom of Choice (hehe) and pluck one point out of each equivalence class, at the end of the day we get [itex]N = E[/itex]. So, if we define the translates [itex]N_k = N + r_k = E + r_k[/itex] for an enumeration of the rationals in [itex][-1,1][/itex], we find that

[tex]
mE \leq \sum_{k = 1}^\infty mN_k \leq 3,
[/tex]

since it can be shown that the sets N_k are disjoint, [itex]E \subset \bigcup_{k = 1}^\infty N_k[/itex] (just take [itex]r_k = 0[/itex]) and [itex]\bigcup_{k = 1}^\infty N_k \subset [-1,2][/itex]. But this implies, by translation invariance of [itex]m[/itex], that

[tex]
\sum_{k=1}^\infty mE \leq 3.
[/tex]

This is absurd, since we assumed [itex]mE > 0 \Rightarrow \sum_1^\infty mE = \infty[/itex]. Hence [itex]E[/itex] is not measurable. Have I missed anything?

Last edited:
jbunniii said:
P.S. I love Belgian ales.:smile:

La Chouffe, maybe? Chimay?

Replying to your updated message:

AxiomOfChoice said:
(2) Ah, I think I see...so each equivalence class consists of a single point: Given [itex]x,y\in E[/itex], [itex]x \sim y[/itex] iff [itex]x = y[/itex]. I guess this means there must be uncountably many equivalence classes, then, since [itex]mE > 0[/itex] implies it's necessarily uncountable. More importantly, don't we have [itex]N = \{ x_\alpha \} = E[/itex]? I guess we can derive a contradiction from this?

Let's be sure we agree about everything so far. Using your notation:

The equivalence classes are called [itex]E_\alpha[/itex].

Now each [itex]E_\alpha \cap E[/itex] contains either zero or one element. For convenience, define

[tex]A = \{\alpha : E_\alpha \cap E \neq \emptyset\}[/tex]

Using the axiom of choice, for each [itex]\alpha \in A[/itex] we choose [itex]x_\alpha \in E_\alpha \cap E[/itex]. We thereby construct this set:

[tex]N = \bigcup_{\alpha \in A} \{x_\alpha\}[/tex].

As you pointed out, we actually have [itex]N = E[/itex].

Now let

[tex]\{r_i\}_{i=1}^{\infty}[/tex]

be an enumeration of the rationals in [itex][0,1][/itex]

And define the following sets:

[tex]N_i = N + r_i[/tex]

where the addition is performed modulo 1.

Then, exactly as in the construction of the standard non-measurable set, we have

[tex]N_i \cap N_j = \emptyset[/tex]

whenever [itex]i \neq j[/itex], i.e., the sets are disjoint.

Then consider

[tex]\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty} N_i[/tex]

What can you say about the measure of this set, and why is that a contradiction?

P.S. For some reason the preview function is behaving strangely - it puts the wrong stuff in each TeX section. So I will have to fix any typos after I post the message.

AxiomOfChoice said:
Ok. I think my argument above has shown that each equivalence class consists of *exactly* one point, and that if we apply the Axiom of Choice (hehe) and pluck one point out of each equivalence class, at the end of the day we get [itex]N = E[/itex]. So, if we define the translates [itex]N_k = N + r_k = E + r_k[/itex] for an enumeration of the rationals in [itex][-1,1][/itex], we find that

[tex]
mE \leq \bigcup_{k = 1}^\infty mN_k \leq 3,
[/tex]

I assume you mean

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty[/tex]

not

[tex]\bigcup_{k = 1}^\infty[/tex]

Yes, now you use the fact (just as in the standard construction of the nonmeasurable set) that the [itex]N_k[/itex] are pairwise disjoint, and also the translation invariance of Lebesgue measure, to obtain

[tex]\bigcup_{k=1}^\infty N_k \subset [-1,2][/tex]

and thus

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty m(E) \leq 3[/tex]

That can't be true if [itex]m(E) > 0[/itex]. (Note that it COULD be true if [itex]m(E) = 0[/itex], which is why the positive hypothesis is important.)

Thus we have a contradiction. Therefore our assumption was wrong, and [itex]E[/itex] must indeed contain distinct [itex]x,y[/itex] such that [itex]x - y \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex].

Last edited:
jbunniii said:
I assume you mean

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty[/tex]

not

[tex]\bigcup_{k = 1}^\infty[/tex]

Yes, now you use the fact (just as in the standard construction of the nonmeasurable set) that the [itex]N_k[/itex] are pairwise disjoint, and also the translation invariance of Lebesgue measure, to obtain

[tex]\bigcup_{k=1}^\infty N_k \subset [-1,2][/tex]

and thus

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^\infty m(E) \leq 3[/tex]

That can't be true if [itex]0 < m(E) < \infty[/itex]. (Note that it COULD be true if [itex]m(E) = 0[/itex], which is why the positive hypothesis is important.)

Thus we have a contradiction. Therefore our assumption was wrong, and [itex]E[/itex] must indeed contain distinct [itex]x,y[/itex] such that [itex]x - y \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex].

jbunniii,

Yes, I meant [itex]\sum[/itex] instead of [itex]\bigcup[/itex]. You've also pointed out to me that there is actually no contradiction present in

[tex]
mE \leq \sum_{k=1}^\infty mE.
[/tex]

The contradiction comes from the *other* inequality, which would force [itex]mE = 0[/itex], which is impossible. I have made the appropriate corrections to my posts above.

Thanks again!

Looks good! By the way, notice that we didn't actually need the axiom of choice in this case to construct the set [itex]N[/itex]. We could have simply said "let [itex]N = E[/itex]" and shown directly that the [itex]N_k[/itex]'s are pairwise disjoint.

AxiomOfChoice said:
La Chouffe, maybe? Chimay?

I'm considering attending this event this afternoon:

http://www.artisanwinedepot.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EVENT-CRAFTBEERBATTLE

Needless to say, I think the Belgians will thrash the Germans. :cool:

Related to Proving Rational Difference Exists in Finite Measure Subset [0,1]

1. What is meant by "rational difference" in this context?

In this context, "rational difference" refers to the difference between two rational numbers within a given subset of the real numbers. This difference can be calculated by subtracting one rational number from the other.

2. Why is it important to prove that rational difference exists in a finite measure subset?

Proving that rational difference exists in a finite measure subset is important because it demonstrates that there are a finite number of distinct rational numbers within that subset. This has implications for mathematical theories and concepts that rely on the existence and properties of rational numbers.

3. What does it mean for a subset to have "finite measure"?

In mathematics, "measure" refers to a way of assigning a size or magnitude to a set of numbers. A subset with finite measure means that the size or magnitude of that subset can be determined and is not infinite.

4. How can one go about proving the existence of rational difference in a finite measure subset?

There are various methods for proving the existence of rational difference in a finite measure subset. One approach is to use the properties of rational and irrational numbers to show that there must be a finite number of distinct rational numbers within the subset. Another approach is to use mathematical induction to show that for any two rational numbers within the subset, their difference is also a rational number.

5. What are the implications of proving rational difference exists in a finite measure subset?

Proving rational difference exists in a finite measure subset has implications for various mathematical concepts and theories. It can help to establish the properties and behavior of rational numbers, and it can also aid in the development of new mathematical ideas and techniques. Additionally, it can contribute to a deeper understanding of the structure and nature of the real numbers and their subsets.