1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving some properties on a complete measure space

1. Mar 3, 2014 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

A space ##(X,\Sigma, \mu)## is a complete measure space if given ## Z \in \Sigma## such that ##\mu(Z)=0##, for every ##Y \subset Z##, we have ##Y \in \Sigma##. In this case, prove that

a) If ##Z_1 \in \Sigma##, ##Z_1ΔZ_2 \in \Sigma## and ##\mu(Z_1ΔZ_2)=0##, then ##Z_2 \in \Sigma##.

b) If ##E_1, E_2 \in \Sigma## and ##\mu(E_1ΔE_2)=0##, then ##\mu(E_1)=\mu(E_2)##.

The attempt at a solution.

For a), ##Z_2\setminus Z_1 \subset Z_1ΔZ_2##, by definition of complete measure space, we have that ##Z_2\setminus Z_1 \in \Sigma##. If I could prove that ##Z_1\cap Z_2 \in \Sigma##, then, I could conclude that ##Z_2=(Z_2\setminus Z_1) \cup (Z_1 \cap Z_2) \in \Sigma##. I got stuck trying to prove the last part.

For b), I think I got it but I would like to check if my solution is correct:

First notice that since we are in a measure space and ##E_1, E_2 \in \Sigma \implies {E_1}^c, {E_2}^c \in \Sigma \implies E_1 \cap E_2=({E_1}^c \cup {E_2}^c)^c \in \Sigma##. Moreover, since it is a complete measure space, ##E_1\setminus E_2, E_2 \setminus E_1 \in \Sigma##. Having said that, we can write ##E_1=(E_1 \setminus E_2) \cup (E_1 \cap E_2)##, the same goes for ##E_2##. As ##\mu## is a measure, we have that ##\mu(E_1)=\mu(E_1 \setminus E_2) + \mu(E_1 \cap E_2)##, and ##\mu(E_2)=\mu(E_2 \setminus E_1) + \mu(E_1 \cap E_2)##.

Again, since ##\mu## is a measure, ##0\leq \mu(E_1 \setminus E_2),\mu(E_2 \setminus E_1)\leq \mu(E_1ΔE_2)=0 \implies \mu(E_1 \setminus E_2)=0=\mu(E_2 \setminus E_1)##.

But then, ##\mu(E_1)=0+\mu(E_1 \cap E_2)=\mu(E_2)##, which was what we wanted to prove.

I would appreciate some help for part a)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##Z_1## and ##Z_1 \setminus Z_2## are in ##\Sigma##. ##(Z_1 \cap Z_2) = Z_1 \setminus (Z_1\setminus Z_2)##. The measureable sets form a sigma algebra, right?

4. Mar 3, 2014 #3
    Oh, I see, as you've said ##(Z_1 \cap Z_2) = Z_1 \setminus (Z_1\setminus Z_2)##, and, ##Z_1 \setminus (Z_1\setminus Z_2)=Z_1 \cap (Z_1 \setminus Z_2)^c##, since a ##σ-## algebra is closed under countable intersection, one can deduce from here that ##Z_1 \cap Z_2 \in \Sigma## (for example, I can set ##\bigcap_{i \in \mathbb N} E_i## with ##E_1=Z_1, E_2=(Z_1 \setminus Z_2)^c## and ##E_i=A## for ##i\geq 2##). In a similar way, using the fact that a ##σ-##algebra is closed under countable union, it is proved that ##Z_2=(Z_2 \setminus Z_1) \cup (Z_1 \cap Z_2) \in \Sigma##

Thanks!

5. Mar 3, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome! And you can just say that if C and D are in the sigma algebra then ##C \cap D## is in the sigma algebra. You don't have to spell out the whole countable intersection. Two is countable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted