Proving Steady State of Initial Vector S0

In summary: If we now consider the vector equation,\vec x(t+1) = A\vec x(t),then we can see that,\vec x(t) = A^t \vec x(0).If we take the dot product with \vec 1 we get,\vec 1 \cdot \vec x(t) = \vec 1 \cdot A^t \vec x(0),where we have used the fact that for any vector \vec y, \vec 1 \cdot \vec y = \vec y \cdot \vec 1.Using the fact that \vec 1 \cdot \vec x(t) = \sum{x_i(t)}, as discussed above, we then
krisrai

Homework Statement

Prove that for any initial state vector
S0=
[r0
p0
w0]
as long as you begin with legitamite proportions (so that r0+p0+w0=1), after a long run you get the same result as
Sk=
[1/4
1/2
1/4]

Homework Equations

Sk= b1(Lambda1)^k [X1] + b2(Lambda2)^k[X2]+...+bn(Lambdan)^k[Xn]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried to go about this by showing this works by choosing r0+p0+w0 to =1
and I've showed that if I do not begin with legitimate proportions it will fail

Would anyone be able to help to show this maybe using an actual equation like in a linear combination?
Id really appreciate your help:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Another Proof: subsequent vectors

Homework Statement

Prove that for any initial State vector
S0=
[r0
p0
w0]
as long as you begin with legitimate proportions (such that r0+p0+w0=1), the components of subsequent state vectors will also sum to 1

Homework Equations

Sk+1= b1 (Lambda1)^k [X1] + b2(Lambda2)^k [X2]+...+bn(Lambdan)^k [Xn]

Ive only come to show this with a previous proof using actual numbers that are legitamite, and failing when the numbers used are not legitimate.
PLEASE! I need your help.

Your notation is really not clear here. I don't know what problem you are actually trying to solve.

State vector Proof

Homework Statement

1. Prove that for any intitial state vector So= [ro po wo]T, that as long as you begin with legitimate proportions (such that ro+po+wo=1), the components of subsequent state vectors will also sum to 1.

Homework Equations

For example:
if matrix
A= [ ½ ¼ 0
. ½ ½ ½
. 0 ¼ ½ ]
and my eigenvalues are:
[tex]\lambda[/tex]1= 1
[tex]\lambda[/tex]2= 1/2
[tex]\lambda[/tex]3= 0

and the associated eigenvectors are:
X1= [1 2 1] T
X2= [-1 0 1]T
X3= [1 -2 1]T

and the Initial State vector So= [1/2 1/4 1/4]T

and in finding a state vector say for t=1
S(t+1)= A*S(t)
then we need S(1) where t=0

S(1) =
[½ ¼ 0
½ ½ ½
0 ¼ ½ ] X[½ ¼ ¼]T

=[5/16 1/2 3/16]Tandwhere t=1

S(2)= A*S(1)
[½ ¼ 0
½ ½ ½
0 ¼ ½] X [5/16 1/2 3/16]T

= [9/32 1/2 7/32]T

So as you can see these subsequent state vectors sum to 1

another way this can be found is written as a linear combination with my eigenvectors
I also found [b1 b2 b3]T = [¼ -⅛ ⅛]T
and Using
S2= b1X1 (λ1)^k + b2X2 (λ2)^k + b3X3 (λ3)^k

= ¼ [1 2 1]T (1^2) -⅛[-1 0 1]T (1/2^2) + --0--

= [9/32 1/2 7/32]T

I don't know how to prove this generally, can anyone help pleasE?

Last edited:
You are on the right way. So you can write any initial state vector as a linear combination of the eigen vectors:
[tex]\vec S(0) = \lambda \vec v_1 + \mu \vec v_2 + \nu \vec v_3[/tex].
Now at a later time t the state vector is
[tex]\vec S(t) = A^t \vec S_0[/tex]
Now use that matrix multiplication is linear and that you know [tex]A \vec v_i[/tex] for the eigenvectors [itex]\vec v_i[/itex]. I didn't fully write out the proof, but it should work.

Also see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=239401.

Hmm, where have I seen this question before?
Oh wait, it was https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=239384 and https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=239401.
I doubt posting it three times will get you three times as many answers (probably even three times less, as a lot of people think it's kinda rude).

sorry i couldn't find the original place i posted it and it wasnt under my profile i needed to edit the question
but no worries i have the answer solved if anyone wants it just msg me

Several threads on the same topic merged.

If the sum of the components of each column vector of a matrix is 1, then the sum of the components of any initial vector will be preserved. It is important to note in the following proof that the dot product, when take with a vector whose components are all one(denoted [itex]\vec 1[/itex]), is equivalent to the sum of all the components of the other vector. You may be able to adapt this to your purposes.

[itex](A \vec x) \cdot \vec 1 = \vec x \cdot \vec 1[/itex]

[itex](x_1\vec C_1 + ... + x_n\vec C_n) \cdot \vec 1 = x_1 + ... + x_n[/itex]

[itex](\sum{x_i\vec C_i}) \cdot \vec 1 = \sum{x_i}[/itex]

[itex]\sum{x_i(\vec C_i \cdot \vec 1)} = \sum{x_i}[/itex]

[itex]\vec C_i \cdot \vec 1 = 1[/itex]

Related to Proving Steady State of Initial Vector S0

1. What is the purpose of proving the steady state of initial vector S0?

The steady state of initial vector S0 is important in understanding the behavior and stability of a system. It helps to determine if a system will reach a stable state or continue to fluctuate over time. This information is crucial in making accurate predictions and decisions based on the system's behavior.

2. How is the steady state of initial vector S0 determined?

The steady state of initial vector S0 is determined by analyzing the behavior of the system over time. This involves tracking the changes in the system's variables and observing if they reach a stable state or continue to fluctuate. Mathematical models and simulations can also be used to analyze and predict the steady state of a system.

3. What factors can affect the steady state of initial vector S0?

The steady state of initial vector S0 can be influenced by various factors such as external forces, changes in the system's parameters, and initial conditions. These factors can cause the system to behave differently and reach different steady states. It is important to consider these factors when analyzing and predicting the behavior of a system.

4. What are the implications of not proving the steady state of initial vector S0?

Not proving the steady state of initial vector S0 can lead to inaccurate predictions and decisions based on the system's behavior. It can also result in unexpected outcomes and instability in the system. Therefore, it is crucial to understand and prove the steady state of initial vector S0 in order to make informed decisions and ensure the stability of the system.

5. Are there any limitations to proving the steady state of initial vector S0?

Yes, there can be limitations to proving the steady state of initial vector S0. These limitations can include the complexity of the system, uncertainties in the system's parameters, and the accuracy of the mathematical models used. It is important to acknowledge and address these limitations in order to make accurate predictions and decisions based on the system's behavior.