Is P:V→V a Linear Function with Projection Property?

• Thread starter PirateFan308
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the problem is to prove that P is a linear function with the property that P^2=P, where P:V→V is defined as P(v)=u for all v∈V, where v=u+u' for some u∈U, u'∈U', and where V is a direct sum of U and U', two subspaces of a larger subspace Fn. The solution involves showing that P is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, using the fact that U and U' only intersect at the zero vector, and using the definition of P to simplify expressions. By showing that P satisfies the properties of a projection, it is also shown that P' satisfies the properties of a projection as well,
PirateFan308

Homework Statement

Suppose that V is the direct sum U[itex]\oplus[/itex]U' where U, U' are subspaces of V, which is a subspace of Fn. Define P:V→V as follows: if v[itex]\in[/itex]V then we know we can write v uniquely as v=u+u' for some u[itex]\in[/itex]U, u'[itex]\in[/itex]U'. Define P(v)=u. Show that:
a) P is linear
b) P2=P (a linear function with this property is called a projection).
Let P'=I-P where I is the identity function
c) PP'=0=P'P
d) U=KerP', U'=KerP

The Attempt at a Solution

Since V is a direct sum of U and U', then U[itex]\bigcap[/itex]U'={0}
To prove that P is linear, I need to prove that P(v+v')=P(v)+P(v') and P(cv)=cP(v)
[itex]P(v+v') = u[/itex]
[itex]P(v)+P(v') = u+u'[/itex]
Which obviously doesn't work. I'm using the assumption that v+v' is still in V, which is clearly an incorrect assumption. I also tried this:
[itex]P(v+v') = P((u_1+u_1')+(u_2+u_2')) = P(u_1'+u_2'+u_1+u_2)[/itex]
[itex]P(v)+P(v') = P(u_1+u_1')+P(u_2+u_2')[/itex]
For closed under multiplication, I didn't even know where to start.

Sorry for not showing very much work, but I'm so stuck that there is no work to show...:confused: Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation is awkward because you're using the ' to indicate two different ideas. Let's reserve ' to denote the part of the vector that lies in U'.

Suppose [itex]v_1[/itex] and [itex]v_2[/itex] are in [itex]V[/itex]. The goal is to show that

[tex]P(v_1 + v_2) = P(v_1) + P(v_2)[/tex].

As V is the direct sum of U and U', there exist unique

[tex]u_1, u_2 \in U[/tex]
and
[tex]u_1', u_2' \in U'[/tex]

such that

[tex]v_1 = u_1 + u_1'[/tex]
and
[tex]v_2 = u_2 + u_2'[/tex]

Now start from [itex]P(v_1 + v_2)[/itex] and start plugging things in and simplifying based on the definition of P.

hint: for x in U, p(x)=x, and for y in U', p(y)=0. now what happens to P(z+w) when z+w is in V? also you may need to know that U and U' only intersect at zero.

jbunniii said:
Your notation is awkward because you're using the ' to indicate two different ideas. Let's reserve ' to denote the part of the vector that lies in U'.

Suppose [itex]v_1[/itex] and [itex]v_2[/itex] are in [itex]V[/itex]. The goal is to show that

[itex]P(v_1 + v_2) = P(v_1) + P(v_2)[/itex].

As V is the direct sum of U and U', there exist unique

[itex]u_1, u_2 \in U[/itex] and [itex]u_1', u_2' \in U'[/itex]

such that

[itex]v_1 = u_1 + u_1'[/itex] and [itex]v_2 = u_2 + u_2'[/itex]

Now start from [itex]P(v_1 + v_2)[/itex] and start plugging things in and simplifying based on the definition of P.

Ok, so [itex]P(v_1+v_2) = P(u_1+u_1'+u_2+u_2') = P(u_1+u_2+u_1'+u_2')[/itex]

Let [itex]u_3=u_1+u_2[/itex] which will still be in U. Let [itex]u_3'=u_1'+u_2'[/itex] which will be in U' because both U and U' are subspaces of V which are closed under addition.

[itex]P(u_1+u_2+u_1'+u_2') = P(u_3+u_3') = P(v_3) = u = P(v)[/itex] where u is in U (because P(v) is defined to equal u)

[itex]P(v_1)+P(v_2) = P(u_1+u_1')+P(u_2+u_2') = [/itex]

Once again, I'm stuck. I know that I should use the fact that V is a direct sum of U and U', which means the intersection of U and U' is only at zero, v[itex]\in[/itex]V is uniquely the sum of u+u', if u+u'=0 then u=u'=0 but I don't see where to use this fact.

xaos said:
hint: for x in U, p(x)=x, and for y in U', p(y)=0. now what happens to P(z+w) when z+w is in V? also you may need to know that U and U' only intersect at zero.

How did you figure out that p(x)=x and p(y)=0 (if x is in U and y is in U')?

Because U and U' only intersect at zero, the only time x=y is when x=y=0. So that taking x=y=0, we have P(x)=x=0 and P(y)=0 (which happens to equal y in this case). So if z+w is in V then P(z+w)=x=0=P(y). Or am I taking too far of a leap when I say x=y=0?

I think I figured it out. Taking [itex]P(v_1+v_2) = P(u_1+u_1'+u_2+u_2') = P(u_1+u_2+u_1'+u_2')[/itex] and letting [itex]u_3=u_1+u_2[/itex] and [itex]u_3'=u_1'+u_2'[/itex], we get

[itex]P(v_1+v_2) = P(u_1+u_2+u_1'+u_2') = P(u_3+u_3') = u_3[/itex]

[itex]P(v_1)+P(v_2) = P(u_1+u_1')+P(u_2+u_2') = u_1+u_2=u_3[/itex]

I didn't realize that [itex]P(v)=u[/itex] was referring to a specific v and u - I had thought it was an arbitrary v, u, and u' that they were referring to. Whoops!

Related to Is P:V→V a Linear Function with Projection Property?

1. What does it mean for a function to be linear?

A linear function is a mathematical transformation that satisfies two properties: 1) additivity, which means that f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y) for any inputs x,y and 2) homogeneity, which means that f(ax) = af(x) for any input x and constant a. In simpler terms, a linear function preserves the properties of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How can you prove that a function is linear?

To prove that a function P:V→V is linear, we must show that it satisfies the two properties of additivity and homogeneity. This can be done by plugging in arbitrary inputs x and y and a constant a, and then showing that the function satisfies the equations f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y) and f(ax) = af(x).

3. What is the importance of proving linearity in scientific research?

Proving that a function is linear is crucial in scientific research as it allows us to use mathematical tools and techniques to analyze and understand the behavior of the function. Linearity also simplifies complex systems and makes them more manageable for analysis, making it an essential concept in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can a function be partially linear?

No, a function is either linear or it is not. There is no such thing as a partially linear function. A function must satisfy both properties of additivity and homogeneity to be considered linear.

5. How can a linear function be applied in real-world scenarios?

Linear functions have many practical applications in real-world scenarios. For example, they can be used to model relationships between variables in economics or to describe the motion of objects in physics. They can also be used in engineering to design systems and predict their behavior. Linear functions are also commonly used in data analysis and machine learning algorithms to make predictions and classify data.