Proving that Z2 X Z2 X Z2Z2 is a isomorphic (ring isomorphism) to P(N)

  • Thread starter Thread starter iceblits
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Isomorphism
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
iceblits
Messages
111
Reaction score
0
Proving that Z2 X Z2 X Z2... Z2 is a isomorphic (ring isomorphism) to P(N)

Homework Statement


I wish to prove that the ring of Cartesian product Z2 X Z2 X Z2...X Z2 (here we have n products) under addition and multiplication (Z2 is {0,1}) is isomorphic to P(N) where P(N) is the ring of power set of the set of n elements where the multiplication operation is AB=A U B and the addition operation is A+B=(A U B)-(A[itex]\cap[/itex]B)


Homework Equations


Both of these rings are Boolean rings
A ring isomorphism is an operation preserving (both operations) one to one and onto map between the two rings


The Attempt at a Solution


I tried for smaller cases such as Z2 => P(1) and I was able to find an isomorphism through brute force. I want to somehow use the fact that these two rings are Boolean rings to solve this.
While searching for a solution I ran into something called "the Stone Representation theorem" which states that all Boolean Algebras are isomorphic to a field of sets. Is it possible to apply this theorem in this case?

Thank you for the help
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Do you know how to prove the isomorphism in the case where the multiplication operation is intersection, rather than union? Think about what happens when each set is replaced with its complement.