Proving the Inequality for Complex Numbers: A Challenge in n Dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses proving an inequality involving complex numbers and using the triangle inequality and the concept of absolute value to simplify the proof. The key is using the square of the magnitude to show that the real part of a complex number must be less than the total number.
bobby2k

Homework Statement

Hello

Assume that we have n complex numbers u: [itex]u_1,u_2,...,u_n[/itex], and n complex numbers v:[itex]v_1,v_2,...v_n[/itex]

I would like to prove that:
[itex]|\Sigma_{i=1}^nRe(u_i\bar{v_i})| \le |\Sigma_{i=1}^nu_i\bar{v_i}|[/itex]

I guess this can be written simpler:
[itex]|\Sigma_{i=1}^nRe(z_i)| \le |\Sigma_{i=1}^n z_i|[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If n=1. I know that this obviously must hold. But When n is bigger than 1, I am not so sure how to show that it holds. It becomes quit messy, I tried moving the absolute value inside the sum, but id didn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest writing each ##z## (you omitted the index by the way) in terms of its real and imaginary components.

Last edited:
Hint:

[tex]\textrm{Re}(z+w) = \textrm{Re}(z) + \textrm{Re}(w)[/tex]

By the way, when working with complex numbers, you should probably use some other letter for your index instead of ##i##, which is already reserved for ##\sqrt{-1}##. Unless you are one of those strange people who use ##j## for that purpose. :smile:

I got this:

[itex]|\Sigma z_j|=|\Sigma Re(z_j)+i*Im(z_j)|=|\Sigma Re(z_j)+i*\Sigma Im(z_j)|[/itex]

Now I would use the triangle inequality if I did not have the i. But I can still say that there is always so that the absolute value of the real part of a complex number must be less than the absolute value of the total number?

so I get

[itex]\ge |\Sigma Re(z_j)|[/itex]?

Consider working with the square of the magnitude. ##|a + ib|^2 = ?##

jbunniii said:
Consider working with the square of the magnitude. ##|a + ib|^2 = ?##

Do you mean that I should write [itex]c=|\Sigma z_j|[/itex], [itex]a=\Sigma Re(z_j)[/itex], [itex]b=\Sigma Im(z_j)[/itex]
So then I get [itex]c=|a+bi|[/itex], squaring I get [itex]c^2=|a+ib|^2=a^2+b^2[/itex], then I get:

[itex]|\Sigma z_j|^2 = (\Sigma Re(z_j))^2+(\Sigma Im(z_j))^2[/itex], and since all are positive we must have that:

[itex]|\Sigma z_j| \ge |\Sigma Re(z_j)|[/itex]

bobby2k said:
Do you mean that I should write [itex]c=|\Sigma z_j|[/itex], [itex]a=\Sigma Re(z_j)[/itex], [itex]b=\Sigma Im(z_j)[/itex]
So then I get [itex]c=|a+bi|[/itex], squaring I get [itex]c^2=|a+ib|^2=a^2+b^2[/itex], then I get:

[itex]|\Sigma z_j|^2 = (\Sigma Re(z_j))^2+(\Sigma Im(z_j))^2[/itex], and since all are positive we must have that:

[itex]|\Sigma z_j| \ge |\Sigma Re(z_j)|[/itex]
Yes, the key is that ##a^2 + b^2 \geq a^2##, so taking square roots of each side, we get ##\sqrt{a^2 + b^2} \geq \sqrt{a^2}##. The LHS of this inequality is ##|a + ib|## and the RHS is ##|a|##.

Likes 1 person
Thank you for your help!

Related to Proving the Inequality for Complex Numbers: A Challenge in n Dimensions

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part, written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. They are used to represent quantities that involve both real and imaginary components, such as the square root of a negative number.

What is the proof for the existence of complex numbers?

The proof for the existence of complex numbers is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, which states that every polynomial equation of degree n has exactly n complex roots. This shows that complex numbers are necessary to solve certain equations that cannot be solved with real numbers alone.

How are complex numbers represented in the complex plane?

Complex numbers can be represented as points on the complex plane, where the horizontal axis represents the real part and the vertical axis represents the imaginary part. The distance of a complex number from the origin is known as its modulus or absolute value, and the angle it forms with the positive real axis is known as its argument or phase.

What operations can be performed with complex numbers?

Complex numbers can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided using rules similar to those for real numbers. Additionally, they have their own set of properties and operations, such as the complex conjugate, which involves changing the sign of the imaginary part. These operations are used to manipulate and simplify expressions involving complex numbers.

How are complex numbers used in science and mathematics?

Complex numbers have many applications in science and mathematics, such as in electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They are also used in fields such as calculus, differential equations, and number theory. They provide a powerful tool for solving problems that involve both real and imaginary quantities.