Proving the Quadratic Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving the equation ax²+bx+c=0 to the solutions x=(-b(+/-)√b²-4ac)/2a. It involves completing the square of ax²+bx+c and rearranging to find x. The steps to complete the square are shown and the conversation concludes with a comparison of different methods for solving the equation.
eXSBass
Hi! I'm new here so if this has been covered please accept my apologies.
I'm having trouble proving the equation from:
ax²+bx+c=0 to the solutions x=(-b(+/-)√b²-4ac)/2a
I've been told to complete the sqaure of ax²+bx+c, then rerrange to give x, but I just can't get it!
If you could show the steps you took to get there it would be very helpful too.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what do you get after completing the square, assuming that you know how to complete the square? and homework ought to go in the homework section.

I'm sorry. Its not homework. I just need to know how for an exam. When I complete the square I get:
Well, this is what I've got on my sheet. I just don't understand step three!

ax²+bx+c=0
1 a[x²+bx+c]=0 --> x²+(b/a)x+c/a=0
2 (x+b/2a)²+c/a-b²/4a²=0 --> (x+b/2a)²=b²/4a²-c/a
3 (x+b/2a)=((+/-)√b²-4ac)/2a --> x=-b/2a((+/-)√b²-4ac)/2a
4 x=(-b(+/-)√b²-4ac)/2a

I don't understand where on the sheet it got from step 2 to step 3! That is from
(From step 2): =b²/4a²-c/a to
(From step 3): =((+/-)√b²-4ac)/2aCheers

Last edited:
eXSBass said:
I don't understand where on the sheet it got from step 2 to step 3! That is from
(From step 2): =b²/4a²-c/a to
(From step 3): =((+/-)√b²-4ac)/2a

Just put the RHS over a common denominator of [tex]4a^2[/tex] and then take the square-root of both sides.

RHS :confused: - Edit, right hand side!

I understand it now! Thanks alot! It actually makes a lot more sense now! Cheers!

I never could follow that in high school. Now I am not sure why not, too many formulas, or fractions, i guess.

lets try it with no "a", just x^2 + bx + c. then we have to separate out the first two terms from the last:

x^2 + bx +c, then we fill in whatever makes it a square.

thats it i hate fractions, so let's begin with x^2 + 2bx +c,

then we get x^2 + 2bx +c = x^2 + 2bx + b^2 - b^2 + c

= (x+b)^2 + c - b^2. so now if it all = 0, we get (x+b)^2 = b^2 -c,

so x+b = + or - sqrt(b^2-c), and hence x = -b (+or-) sqrt(b^2-c).

now isn't that easier?

then you can solve the gbeneral case ax^2 + bx + c by changing it nito thius one:

i.e. divide by a, getting x^2 + (b/a)X + c/a. then get a 2 in there in the middle as follows:

x^2 + 2(b/2a)x + c/a. then this =0 if and only if

x = -(b/2a) (+or-) sqrt(b^2/4a^2 - c/a)

= -(b/2a) (+or-) sqrt(b^2/4a^2 - 4ac/4a^2)

= -(b/2a) (+or-) sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)/sqrt(4a^2)

= -(b/2a) (+or-) sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)/2a

= [-b (+or-) sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)]/2a.

what a messy formula, i like mine much better.

e.g. to solve 4x^2 + 6x -1 = 0, change it to
x^2 +(3/2)x -1/4 = x^2 + 2(3/4)x - 1/4, and the solution by my formula
is x = -(3/4) (+or-) sqrt(9/16 + 1/4) = -(3/4) (+or-)sqrt(13)/2.
is that right? it seems nicer than the usual one to me anyway.
my advice to young learners is to have somewhat less respect for tradition.

Last edited:
or is the usual one better? i get

x =[-6 (+or-) sqrt(36+16)]/8 i guess that's the same, and fewer fractions too! ok tradition has something going for it.

What is the quadratic equation?

The quadratic equation is a mathematical formula that is used to solve quadratic equations, which are equations in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are coefficients and x is the variable.

Why is it important to prove the quadratic equation?

Proving the quadratic equation is important because it provides a solid mathematical foundation for solving quadratic equations. It also helps to understand the relationship between the coefficients and the roots of the equation.

What are the different ways to prove the quadratic equation?

There are various methods to prove the quadratic equation, including the geometric proof, the algebraic proof, and the proof by induction. Each method uses different mathematical concepts and techniques to demonstrate the validity of the quadratic equation.

Can the quadratic equation be used to solve all quadratic equations?

Yes, the quadratic equation can be used to solve any quadratic equation, regardless of the values of the coefficients. This is because the formula is derived from the general form of a quadratic equation, so it applies to all cases.

What real-life applications does the quadratic equation have?

The quadratic equation has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems related to quadratic functions, such as finding the maximum or minimum values in a parabolic curve or predicting the trajectory of a projectile.