Proving the Geometric Mean Inequality

• Thread starter zeion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the geometric mean of a and b is equal to sqrt(ab). You can use this information to solve an equation in two different ways. The first way is to use the inequality that sqrt(ab) >= (a+b)/2. The second way is to use the fact that sqrt(b) - sqrt(a) >= 0.
zeion

Homework Statement

Given that 0 <or equal to a <or equal to b, show that

a <or equal to sqrt(ab) <or equal to (a+b)/2 <or equal to b

The number sqrt(ab) is called the geometric mean of a and b

Homework Equations

Not sure -_-

The Attempt at a Solution

a = sqrt(aa) <or equal to sqrt(ab) <or equal to sqrt(bb) = b
a = (a+a)/2 <or equal to (a+b)/2 <or equal to (b+b)/2 = b

Not sure what to do now -_-

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 3 things you need to show:

a < root ab
root ab < (a+b)/2
(a+b)/2 < b

So you have the given condition 0 < a < b (Let's assume that < or > also includes the equal to, since I don't know how to use the notations)

since 0 < a < b, a < b as well

try working around a < b

PS. is this from the MAT137 problem set?

a <= b;
a*a <= b*a;
sqrt(a*a) <= sqrt(b*a)
a <= sqrt(b*a)

use similar logic for the other ones.

I'm not sure how to prove sqrt(ab) <= (a+b)/2

And yes this is for MAT137 -_-

You know both sides are positive or zero. You can square both sides and the inequality still holds. Can you see the next step?

I know that b >= a >= 0
So sqrt(b) >= sqrt(a) >= 0
I know that b - a >= 0
So sqrt(b) - sqrt(a) >= 0
I know that sqrt of any number is >= 0
So sqrt(sqrt(b) - sqrt(a)) >= 0
Now I square now sides twice
(sqrt(b) - sqrt(a))^2 >= 0
Expand
b - 2sqrt(ab) + a >= 0
a + b / 2 >= sqrt(ab)

I'm pretty sure this is right.. though I only came this part with someone else' help.
Now I'm wondering if there is any other way to solve this and how I can learn to think this way and be able to solve other similar questions.. any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

FAQ: Proving the Geometric Mean Inequality

1. How do you prove an inequality?

To prove an inequality, you must show that the two sides of the inequality are unequal. This can be done by using algebraic manipulations, logical reasoning, or mathematical principles such as the properties of inequalities.

2. What is the purpose of proving an inequality?

The purpose of proving an inequality is to establish that one quantity is greater than or less than another quantity. This can be helpful in solving mathematical problems, making comparisons, and drawing conclusions based on data.

3. What are some common strategies for proving inequalities?

Some common strategies for proving inequalities include using known inequalities, using mathematical properties and theorems, using algebraic manipulations, and using graphical representations.

4. What are some challenges in proving inequalities?

One challenge in proving inequalities is finding a starting point and determining the most effective strategy to use. Additionally, inequalities can sometimes be complex and require multiple steps to prove, making them more challenging to solve.

5. Can inequalities be proven in multiple ways?

Yes, inequalities can be proven using different strategies and approaches. It is important to choose the most appropriate method for each specific inequality to ensure a clear and accurate proof.

Back