1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving two circles are orthogonal

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    prooffff.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's an image of what I need to show.

pf2.png

I know I need to show that the segment from the center of the smaller circle to F forms a right angle with line segment CF. Alternatively I could show that line segment CH forms a right angle with the line segment from the center of the smaller circle to H. Both of those methods seem unlikely, since the center of the smaller circle isn't even included in the original image in my textbook.

I noticed the the Power of point E is EF*EA which equals EH*EB. I also noticed that [itex]\angle AFB = \angle AHB = 90^\circ[/itex]

I also have the secant-secant angle theorem, but that doesn't seem to help, because we don't know the measure of the intercepted arcs, plus that doesn't seem really useful anyways.

I also don't have access to inverses, so I can't use those.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2011 #2
    Can you use Pythagoras' theorem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook