Proving Whether an Alternating Series is Divergent or Convergent

In summary, the conversation discusses determining an explicit function for a given sequence and whether it is convergent. The suggested function is cos(nπ/2) and it is questioned whether a quadratic should be used instead. The concept of convergence and its definition are also mentioned, as well as the fact that the sequence has multiple limit points and thus does not have a limit. It is also stated that the corresponding series diverges.
mundane

Homework Statement

Determine an explicit function for this sequence and determine whether it is convergent.

an={1, 0, -1, 0, 1, 0, -1, 0, 1, ...}

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with this function:

an = cos(nπ/2), and wrote that as sigma notation from n=0 to infinity. Is that good or should I use a quadratic?

I don't think it converges because it just oscillates and never changes, but how do I prove that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have to prove it using epsilon's and stuff??
If so, what is the definition of convergence? What is the negation?

see answer 5

Last edited:
I don't have to use epsilons. But I have to provide an equation showing it. And is the function I made satisfactory, or should I express it as a quadratic?

This sequence has 3 different limit points -1,0 and 1, therefore it does not have a limit.

If you reffer to the corresponding series,then it diverges because the general term does not converge to 0.

1. How do you determine if an alternating series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if an alternating series is convergent or divergent, you can use the alternating series test. This test states that if the absolute value of the terms in the series decrease and approach zero, then the series is convergent. If the terms do not approach zero, then the series is divergent.

2. What is the formula for an alternating series?

The formula for an alternating series is a1 - a2 + a3 - a4 + a5 - ..., where an represents the nth term in the series.

3. Can an alternating series be both divergent and convergent?

No, an alternating series can only be either divergent or convergent. It cannot be both at the same time.

4. What is the difference between absolute convergence and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to the convergence of a series when the absolute values of its terms converge. In contrast, conditional convergence refers to the convergence of a series when the absolute values of its terms do not converge, but the series still converges.

5. Are there any other tests for determining the convergence or divergence of an alternating series?

Yes, there are other tests such as the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test that can also be used to determine the convergence or divergence of an alternating series. However, the alternating series test is specifically designed for alternating series and is often the most efficient method.