Publishing in physics after no longer having a university job?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of publishing academic papers on Theoretical Physics without any institutional affiliation. The speaker mentions their experience publishing with a small consulting company as their affiliation and suggests creating a research affiliation by using a personal or made-up name. They also mention that it may be easier to do so in the US.
Manphysics
I'm a university physics professor. I'm currently employed, but next year that can change. Can I easily publish academic papers on Theoretical Physics without any institutional affiliation at all? It seems to me that good peer-reviewed journals tend to extra-officially consider the university affiliation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Colleagues and I have published in a number of disciplines listing the affiliation as my small consulting company, including papers in Review of Scientific Instruments, The Physics Teacher, Physics Education, NeuroImage, Brain Injury, and Journal of Engineering Mechanics. Not sure why theoretical physics would be any different.

It's hard to be sure, but it's never seemed to us that the lack of a university affiliation has been a hindrance in the editorial or peer-review process.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary and Manphysics
Thank you very much; I'm concerned because, for a Theoretical physicists, being outside universities means no affiliation at all. I'd publish as a person.

Manphysics said:
Thank you very much; I'm concerned because, for a Theoretical physicists, being outside universities means no affiliation at all. I'd publish as a person.

You could do that, or you could just make up the name of a consulting business. In most states in the US, individuals may conduct business under just about any name they choose (as long as it is not taken by another party) with little or no paperwork, especially if you are not spending or making money. One can create your own research affiliation by fiat.

Sally Q. Physicist
ABC Research
123 Side Street #714
Big City, IN 42150

Likes Keith_McClary and Manphysics

1. How can I continue publishing in physics after losing my university job?

There are several options for continuing to publish in physics after no longer having a university job. One option is to collaborate with colleagues who are still employed at universities. Another option is to apply for research grants or fellowships from organizations outside of academia. You can also consider submitting your research to open access journals or presenting at conferences.

2. Will losing my university job affect my chances of getting published?

Losing your university job may make it more challenging to get published, as you may no longer have access to resources such as funding, equipment, or colleagues for collaboration. However, it is still possible to publish in physics without a university job by seeking alternative options, such as those mentioned in the previous answer.

3. How can I maintain my research momentum without a university job?

Maintaining research momentum without a university job can be challenging, but it is not impossible. It is important to stay connected with the scientific community through conferences, networking events, and online platforms. You can also consider joining research groups or collaborations outside of academia to continue your work.

4. What are some potential challenges I may face when publishing in physics without a university job?

Some potential challenges you may face when publishing in physics without a university job include limited access to resources, difficulty finding collaborators, and a lack of institutional support. You may also face challenges in navigating the publishing process and staying up-to-date on the latest research in your field.

5. Are there any advantages to publishing in physics without a university job?

There can be advantages to publishing in physics without a university job, such as having more freedom and flexibility in your research direction and being able to collaborate with a diverse range of scientists outside of academia. Additionally, publishing without a university job can demonstrate your ability to continue conducting high-quality research independently.