How Does a Black Box Simplify Calculating Rope Tension in Pulley Systems?

• Thread starter arcnets
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the conversation revolved around a 'pulley question' thread with 42 replies. The question involved determining the tension in a rope when a black box was placed around a system consisting of a plate, pulley, and a man hanging from the rope. The tension is equal to the weight of the system in equilibrium, but must be greater than the weight to accelerate upward. One person shared a similar experience where they overcomplicated the problem and a younger person suggested a simpler solution involving a black box.
arcnets
With amazement, I noticed the 'pulley question' thread with (so far) 42 replies.
Put a black box around the whole system (plate, pulley, man): You get a black box hanging from a rope. Now what is the tension in the rope?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by arcnets
With amazement, I noticed the 'pulley question' thread with (so far) 42 replies.
Put a black box around the whole system (plate, pulley, man): You get a black box hanging from a rope. Now what is the tension in the rope?
Yes, apparently we still haven't exhausted that topic.

If the system is in equilibrium, then the tension must equal the weight of the system. To accelerate upward, the tension must be greater than the weight.

Yes.
BTW - I was not laughing at the discussers. I was laughing because I had to solve a similar problem some time ago - and came up with a very complicated (and wrong) answer. Then, a guy several years my junior, said "Why not put a black box around this...". He had solved it all nice and simple.

Related to How Does a Black Box Simplify Calculating Rope Tension in Pulley Systems?

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine consisting of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is used to lift heavy objects by reducing the amount of force needed to lift them.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by redirecting the force applied to the rope or belt. As the rope is pulled, the pulley rotates and the object being lifted moves up. The more pulleys used, the less force is needed to lift the object.

3. What is the tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope refers to the force applied to the rope in order to keep it taut. In the case of a pulley system, the tension in the rope is equal throughout the system and is used to lift the object.

4. How is tension affected by a pulley?

In a pulley system, the more pulleys that are used, the less force is needed to lift the object. This is because the tension in the rope is distributed evenly throughout the system, making it easier to lift the object.

5. Can the tension in a rope be greater than the weight of the object being lifted?

Yes, the tension in a rope can be greater than the weight of the object being lifted. This is possible because the tension in the rope is distributed evenly throughout the system, making it easier to lift the object.