Pully/block system on an incline

In summary, the block slid down the ramp with a coefficient of friction of 0.2 and a tension of 10 N.
b577phaty

Homework Statement

A block of mass m = 10 Kg is attached to a cable that wraps around the pulley. The pulley is pivoted at the center, and the angle of incline is θ = 30°. The radius of the pulley is R = 0.5 m and its moment of inertia is I = 0.4 Kgm2. The block is released from rest and slides down the ramp, and the coefficient of friction is μk= 0.2 between the block and the ramp.
(a) Find the acceleration of the block. a = _______________________
(b) Find the tension in the cable. T = ______________________

I have no idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Draw a free body diagram for the mass on the incline.
2. Use your FBD to apply Newton's Law to the mass.
3. Draw a free body diagram for the pulley.
4. Use this FBD to apply Newton's Second Law (for rotations) to the pulley. Note that the tangential acceleration of a point on the pulley's rim is the linear acceleration of the rope and, of course, the mass.
5. Steps 2 and 4 will give two equations and two unknowns, the acceleration a and the tension T.
6. Solve the system of two equations and two unknowns to find what the problem asks.

For my equation, I got mgsin(theta)-I(a/r)-umgcos(theta)=ma however this does not give me the correct answer. Any ideas?

b577phaty said:
For my equation, I got mgsin(theta)-I(a/r)-umgcos(theta)=ma however this does not give me the correct answer. Any ideas?
Unless you show what answer you got and how, I have no ideas because I don't know what you did. The equation seems correct.

For the block
Fx=mgsin(theta)-T-Ff=ma
Fy=-mgcos(theta)+N=0

For the pully
T=Ialpha
T=I(a/r)

10*9.8*sin30-.8a-.2*10*9.8*cos30=10a

a=2.72 ?

b577phaty said:
For the pully
T=Ialpha
T=I(a/r)
In the above equations "T" stands for "Torque" not "Tension". You treat it as if it were tension. What is the torque τ if the tension is T and the lever arm is r?

1. How does a pully/block system on an incline work?

A pulley/block system on an incline is a simple machine that consists of a rope or cable wrapped around a grooved wheel, or pulley, and a block or load that is being lifted or moved. The incline, or slope, allows for a change in direction of the force needed to move the load, making it easier to lift heavy objects. As the rope is pulled, the weight of the load is distributed between the rope and the incline, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the load.

2. What are the advantages of using a pulley/block system on an incline?

One advantage of using a pulley/block system on an incline is that it allows for the lifting or moving of heavy objects with less force. This makes it ideal for tasks that require moving large or heavy loads, such as construction or transportation. Additionally, the use of a pulley/block system on an incline can also help distribute the weight of the load evenly, preventing strain on a single point or person.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the efficiency of a pulley/block system on an incline?

The number of pulleys used in a pulley/block system on an incline can affect its efficiency. By adding more pulleys, the load can be distributed over a larger surface area, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the load. This can result in a more efficient and easier-to-use system.

4. Are there any safety considerations when using a pulley/block system on an incline?

Yes, there are several safety considerations to keep in mind when using a pulley/block system on an incline. It is important to make sure that the system is properly set up and that the rope or cable is secure and in good condition. Using appropriate safety gear, such as gloves and goggles, is also recommended. Additionally, it is important to be aware of the weight limit and not exceed it, as this can cause the system to fail and potentially result in injury.

5. Can a pulley/block system on an incline be used for both lifting and lowering objects?

Yes, a pulley/block system on an incline can be used for both lifting and lowering objects. By changing the direction of the force applied to the rope, the load can be lifted or lowered along the incline. This makes it a versatile tool for various tasks that require both lifting and lowering of heavy objects.