Pulse powder delivery of 0.25mg for a few seconds

In summary, the conversation is about creating a laboratory scale system for delivering 0.25 mg of a granular and powder-like substance. The individual is seeking advice on a suitable delivery mechanism and has tried using an Auger Feed mechanism but it was too large for the desired dosage. Suggestions for using an injection method similar to dye or using high frequency, low amplitude vibrations are mentioned. Pharmaceutical tablet presses and capsule fillers are also suggested as possible options.
vkar16
Hi,

I am trying to create a laboratory scale system, where I would like to deliver 0.25 mg of a substance which is granular and powder like consistency. I would like to pulse it for a few seconds and stop it. Can anybody tell me a good delivery mechanism for this. I have a method to disperse it but I am not able to find a bulk delivery system for that specs.

Thanks and best regards
Venkat

Engineering news on Phys.org
Would this be for an experiment pertaining to fluid mechanics? If so you should be able to use an injection method similar to dye. If even if its not fluids related a dye-analogous method may be worth investigating.

Hi Aero 51. I could not succeed in the injection method as I am not supposed to liquefy or convert it to an aerosol. When used as is, the powder only compacts but does not come out. I tried using a Auger Feed mechanism (1.5 cm dia) but it was too large for the dosage I am looking into. The particle size is about 20microns in dia for my particles. Thank you for your suggestion though.

If caking is an issue you could always use the injection method with the added configuration of high frequency, low amplitude vibrations throughout the delivery system.

Pharmaceutical tablet presses and capsule fillers come to mind.

1. What is pulse powder delivery?

Pulse powder delivery is a method of administering medication in a powder form through a burst of air or gas. This allows for precise and controlled delivery of a specified dosage.

2. How does pulse powder delivery work?

Pulse powder delivery works by using a device that creates a brief pulse of air or gas to disperse the powder through a small opening. The powder is then inhaled or ingested by the patient, delivering the medication directly to the desired location in the body.

3. What is the dosage for a pulse powder delivery of 0.25mg for a few seconds?

The dosage for pulse powder delivery can vary depending on the specific medication and the condition being treated. In this case, the dosage is 0.25mg and the duration of the delivery is a few seconds. It is important to follow the instructions of a healthcare professional for the correct dosage and duration.

4. What are the benefits of using pulse powder delivery?

Pulse powder delivery offers several benefits over traditional methods of medication delivery. It allows for precise and accurate dosing, reduces the risk of contamination, and can be less invasive for the patient. It also has a faster onset of action compared to oral medication, making it a more efficient option for certain treatments.

5. Are there any risks or side effects associated with pulse powder delivery?

As with any medication delivery method, there may be potential risks or side effects associated with pulse powder delivery. These can vary depending on the specific medication being delivered. It is important to discuss any concerns with a healthcare professional before undergoing this type of treatment.