Punctuation in mathematical writing

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of proper punctuation in writing, specifically in mathematical statements. The question is whether commas are necessary in the sentence "For each i \in \{1,\dots,n\}, write \alpha_i = b_{i1}\beta_1+\cdots+b_{in}\beta_n, where b_{i1},\dots,b_{in} \in \mathbb{Z}." The speaker suggests that the commas are helpful in indicating where short pauses should be made, and that "where" is a better word choice than "with" in this context.
jgens
Gold Member
Recently I went through a bunch of my old solution sets and realized that I've been quite sloppy with my use of punctuation; in particular, examining the quality of my writing in solution sets over a period time, it appears that the lack of proper punctuation is getting more and more pronounced. So, in an effort to fix this trend, I have been trying to use proper punctuation in all of my writing. However, today I came across a sentence that I am uncertain how to punctuate properly, and I was hoping that some of the member of PF could help me out on this one. Here is the sentence:

For each [itex]i \in \{1,\dots,n\}[/itex], write [itex]\alpha_i = b_{i1}\beta_1+\cdots+b_{in}\beta_n[/itex], where [itex]b_{i1},\dots,b_{in} \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex].

My question is whether or not the commas used above are correct and/or necessary. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any rules that necessitate the use of the commas, but when I write the sentence above, I am naturally inclined to use the commas.

Edit: I suppose that since [itex]b_{i1},\dots,b_{in} \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex] is technically a noun, I should write something like "... with [itex]b_{i1},\dots,b_{in} \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex]" instead.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think it looks fine but then again I just started learning how to write proofs not too long ago.

jgens said:
Recently I went through a bunch of my old solution sets and realized that I've been quite sloppy with my use of punctuation; in particular, examining the quality of my writing in solution sets over a period time, it appears that the lack of proper punctuation is getting more and more pronounced. So, in an effort to fix this trend, I have been trying to use proper punctuation in all of my writing. However, today I came across a sentence that I am uncertain how to punctuate properly, and I was hoping that some of the member of PF could help me out on this one. Here is the sentence:

For each [itex]i \in \{1,\dots,n\}[/itex], write [itex]\alpha_i = b_{i1}\beta_1+\cdots+b_{in}\beta_n[/itex], where [itex]b_{i1},\dots,b_{in} \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex].

My question is whether or not the commas used above are correct and/or necessary. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any rules that necessitate the use of the commas, but when I write the sentence above, I am naturally inclined to use the commas.
IMO, the commas are helpful.
jgens said:
Edit: I suppose that since [itex]b_{i1},\dots,b_{in} \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex] is technically a noun, I should write something like "... with [itex]b_{i1},\dots,b_{in} \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex]" instead.

No, "##b_{i1},\dots,b_{in} \in \mathbb{Z} ## " is a mathematical statement, which makes it more akin to a declarative sentence than to a noun. The bis make up the subject, and "##\in Z##" is the predicate. You can use either "where" or "with," and I doubt that anyone would notice, although I lean a bit toward "where."

It's not so much about grammar as it is about where the reader should make short pauses. In this case, it's natural to make a short pause at both places where you put commas, so I think it would look weird to omit them. "Where" sounds better than "with" to me. "With" sounds better in this rewrite:

For each ##i\in\{1,\dots,n\}##, let ##\alpha_i## be a linear combination ##b_{i1}\beta_1+\cdots+b_{in}\beta_n## with ##b_{i1},\dots,b_{in} \in \mathbb{Z}##.

I assume that's what you meant. Here I prefer to not use a comma before the "with".

As a scientist, it is important to use proper punctuation in mathematical writing to ensure clarity and accuracy. In this case, the use of commas is not necessary as the sentence is a list of items separated by "+" signs. However, it is also not incorrect to use commas, as they can help to visually separate the items and make the sentence easier to read. Ultimately, the most important thing is to be consistent in your use of punctuation throughout your writing. You can also consult style guides or ask for feedback from colleagues to ensure your writing is clear and easy to understand.

Related to Punctuation in mathematical writing

1. What is the purpose of using punctuation in mathematical writing?

Punctuation in mathematical writing serves the same purpose as punctuation in any other form of writing - to clarify meaning and aid in understanding. In mathematical writing, punctuation helps to separate and organize different parts of an equation or expression, making it easier to read and follow.

2. Can I use punctuation marks interchangeably in mathematical writing?

No, it is important to use the correct punctuation marks in mathematical writing as they have specific meanings and functions. For example, the minus sign (-) is used to denote subtraction, while the hyphen (-) is used to connect words or parts of words.

3. Are there any specific rules for using punctuation in mathematical writing?

Yes, there are some general rules to follow when using punctuation in mathematical writing. For example, parentheses are used to group terms or indicate the order of operations, while brackets are used to denote a vector or matrix. It is important to consult a style guide or reference when unsure about the correct usage of punctuation marks.

4. Should I use punctuation in mathematical notation or expressions?

Yes, punctuation should be used in mathematical notation or expressions to make them easier to read and understand. For example, a comma can be used to separate terms in a list, and a period can be used to end a sentence or denote multiplication. However, it is important to use punctuation sparingly and only when necessary.

5. How can I improve my use of punctuation in mathematical writing?

The best way to improve your use of punctuation in mathematical writing is to practice and familiarize yourself with the specific rules and conventions of mathematical notation. Additionally, proofreading your work and asking for feedback from peers or a mentor can also help improve your punctuation usage.