Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Punctuation in mathematical writing

1. May 25, 2012 #1

jgens

Gold Member

Recently I went through a bunch of my old solution sets and realized that I've been quite sloppy with my use of punctuation; in particular, examining the quality of my writing in solution sets over a period time, it appears that the lack of proper punctuation is getting more and more pronounced. So, in an effort to fix this trend, I have been trying to use proper punctuation in all of my writing. However, today I came across a sentence that I am uncertain how to punctuate properly, and I was hoping that some of the member of PF could help me out on this one. Here is the sentence:

For each [itex]i \in \{1,\dots,n\}[/itex], write [itex]\alpha_i = b_{i1}\beta_1+\cdots+b_{in}\beta_n[/itex], where [itex]b_{i1},\dots,b_{in} \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex].

My question is whether or not the commas used above are correct and/or necessary. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any rules that necessitate the use of the commas, but when I write the sentence above, I am naturally inclined to use the commas.

Edit: I suppose that since [itex]b_{i1},\dots,b_{in} \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex] is technically a noun, I should write something like "... with [itex]b_{i1},\dots,b_{in} \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex]" instead. :grumpy:

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2
    I think it looks fine but then again I just started learning how to write proofs not too long ago.

4. May 25, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

IMO, the commas are helpful.
    No, "##b_{i1},\dots,b_{in} \in \mathbb{Z} ## " is a mathematical statement, which makes it more akin to a declarative sentence than to a noun. The bis make up the subject, and "##\in Z##" is the predicate. You can use either "where" or "with," and I doubt that anyone would notice, although I lean a bit toward "where."

5. May 25, 2012 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not so much about grammar as it is about where the reader should make short pauses. In this case, it's natural to make a short pause at both places where you put commas, so I think it would look weird to omit them. "Where" sounds better than "with" to me. "With" sounds better in this rewrite:

For each ##i\in\{1,\dots,n\}##, let ##\alpha_i## be a linear combination ##b_{i1}\beta_1+\cdots+b_{in}\beta_n## with ##b_{i1},\dots,b_{in} \in \mathbb{Z}##.

I assume that's what you meant. Here I prefer to not use a comma before the "with".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook