Should I Major in Math and Economics for a Career in Applied Mathematics?

• Programs
  • Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of a majoring in both math/economics is to gain a better understanding of economics and math. It is not necessary to become an applied mathematician, but it is beneficial if you want to pursue a career in financial mathematics.
courtrigrad
What is the purpose of majoring in both math/economics? I am asking this, because the school I am attending this fall (Denison University) has a very good economics program as well as a math program. If I want to become an applied mathematician, should I even consider this? Or should I just get a major in math?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Recently, there are fairly large amount of reserach over mathematical finance, mathematical economics and etc.
I have read some research people that uses topology to analysis economical problem.
Perhaps you can go to your library and see if there is book about maths econ. IF there is, you might want to look at those research and see if you are interested in that. Remember, what you like is the most important.

Thats what I want to do: quantitative finance. I asked the same question, and got this response:
Hell no. Maths and economics majors know jack about maths either pure or applied. Economists struggle to add up, never mind do maths properly (including applied maths).

If you're going to be a good applied mathematician then you'll be able to do Apostol and the purer stuff: you might not see the utility of it a great deal at times, but you will be able to do it, and it might well come in useful later.
. I am unsure what to do. My goal is to become an applied mathematician/QUANT (although that may change during my years in college)

Courtrigrad, why not consider minoring in economics rather than doing a double-major? I do think taking a second major in economics (they way they do math will appall you) will be counterproductive.

PS : Denison U is like an hour's drive from here. I've never been there, but heard it's a beautiful campus.

Yeah, in Denison they have a combined major in Mathematics and Economics. So I don't think it is two separate majors. Here's the site: http://www.denison.edu/mathsci/catalog/math.html#math356

So I would be better off doing a minor in economics rather than a combined major? Indeed, Denison has a beautiful campus.

are combined majors usually not reccommended?

remember, quan finance is not a research degree, you don't really get funding. Moreover, master degree in those degree are mostly offered by private school... very expensive.

My goal is financial maths in U of chicago

yeah, that is my goal to (financial maths). But Denison doesn't actually have a major called financial maths. They have a math-economics combined degree. But would I miss out on all of the math?

courtrigrad said:
yeah, that is my goal to (financial maths). But Denison doesn't actually have a major called financial maths. They have a math-economics combined degree. But would I miss out on all of the math?
as long as you fulfilled class the classes that you need to do for applied maths, you should be fine.
when they say conbined major, they just put classes together so that it get a degree with special name. Therefore, it is you who makes every class link together

do you want to be an economist? they can earn a lot more money than mathematicians. at my school, economics was a major people opted for if they could not hack mathematics. but now that i am an old poor mathematician some of my friends are old well to do economists. it might not hurt to leave your options open in both directions, if you like both areas.

Yeah, I guess I will major in math and minor in economics. The combined degree seems to blend both disciplines together, so I don't understand one area very well. Anyway, thanks a bunch guys.

What is the purpose of majoring in a specific field?

The purpose of majoring in a specific field is to gain in-depth knowledge and skills in a particular subject area. It allows you to focus your studies and become an expert in a specific field, which can increase your job prospects and career opportunities.

How does majoring in a field help with career development?

Majoring in a field can help with career development by providing you with specialized knowledge and skills that are highly sought after by employers. It also allows you to network with professionals in your field and gain relevant work experience through internships and research opportunities.

What factors should I consider when choosing a major?

When choosing a major, you should consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. It's important to choose a field that you are passionate about and that aligns with your skills and future aspirations. You should also research the job market and potential salary for your chosen major.

Can I change my major during my college years?

Yes, it is possible to change your major during your college years. Many students change their major at least once during their academic career. It's important to consult with an academic advisor to understand the requirements and potential impact on your graduation timeline.

Can I pursue a career outside of my major?

Yes, you can pursue a career outside of your major. While your major can provide you with specific skills and knowledge, it does not limit your career options. Many employers value transferable skills such as critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving, which can be gained through various majors.