1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Purpose of Majoring in

1. Jun 12, 2006 #1
    What is the purpose of majoring in both math/economics? I am asking this, because the school I am attending this fall (Denison University) has a very good economics program as well as a math program. If I want to become an applied mathematician, should I even consider this? Or should I just get a major in math?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2006 #2
    Recently, there are fairly large amount of reserach over mathematical finance, mathematical economics and etc.
    I have read some research people that uses topology to analysis economical problem.
    Perhaps you can go to your library and see if there is book about maths econ. IF there is, you might want to look at those research and see if you are interested in that. Remember, what you like is the most important.

4. Jun 12, 2006 #3
    Thats what I want to do: quantitative finance. I asked the same question, and got this response:
    . I am unsure what to do. My goal is to become an applied mathematician/QUANT (although that may change during my years in college)

5. Jun 12, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Courtrigrad, why not consider minoring in economics rather than doing a double-major? I do think taking a second major in economics (they way they do math will appall you) will be counterproductive.

PS : Denison U is like an hour's drive from here. I've never been there, but heard it's a beautiful campus.

6. Jun 12, 2006 #5
    Yeah, in Denison they have a combined major in Mathematics and Economics. So I don't think it is two separate majors. Here's the site: http://www.denison.edu/mathsci/catalog/math.html#math356

So I would be better off doing a minor in economics rather than a combined major? Indeed, Denison has a beautiful campus.

7. Jun 13, 2006 #6
    are combined majors usually not reccommended?

8. Jun 13, 2006 #7
    remember, quan finance is not a research degree, you dont really get funding. Moreover, master degree in those degree are mostly offered by private school..... very expensive.

My goal is financial maths in U of chicago

9. Jun 13, 2006 #8
    yeah, that is my goal to (financial maths). But Denison doesn't actually have a major called financial maths. They have a math-economics combined degree. But would I miss out on all of the math?

10. Jun 13, 2006 #9
    as long as you fulfilled class the classes that you need to do for applied maths, you should be fine.
    when they say conbined major, they just put classes together so that it get a degree with special name. Therefore, it is you who makes every class link together

11. Jun 13, 2006 #10

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

do you want to be an economist? they can earn a lot more money than mathematicians. at my school, economics was a major people opted for if they could not hack mathematics. but now that i am an old poor mathematician some of my friends are old well to do economists. it might not hurt to leave your options open in both directions, if you like both areas.

12. Jun 13, 2006 #11
    Yeah, I guess I will major in math and minor in economics. The combined degree seems to blend both disciplines together, so I don't understand one area very well. Anyway, thanks a bunch guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?