Putting a superscript before a variable or expression ....

In summary, Opalg and Krylov were able to provide a solution to the problem of placing a superscript before a variable or expression in a Cartesian Product.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Can someone help with the issue/problem of placing a superscript before a variable or expression ... as Just and Weese do in their book on Set Theory ... in the expression for a Cartesian Product as follows:

View attachment 7536Hope that someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
There are various packages that can do this and more sophisticated things, but I think in this case the easiest is: $^{A}B$. (Right-click on formula to see $\LaTeX$ source.)

You may need to add an empty pair of braces before the superscript, like this: {}^{A}B. Otherwise, the superscript will attach itself to the previous element in the formula. Compare

$f\in ^I\left( \bigcup \{A_i:i\in I\}\right)$ with $f\in {}^I \left( \bigcup \{A_i:i\in I\}\right)$.

In the first case, the superscript $I$ has attached itself to the $\in$ symbol. Even when the braces are inserted, the superscript looks as though it is suspended halfway between the symbols on either side. You can eliminate that by inserting a negative space (given in TeX by \!) after the superscript, to get

$f\in {}^I \!\left( \bigcup \{A_i:i\in I\}\right)$.

Opalg said:
You may need to add an empty pair of braces before the superscript, like this: {}^{A}B. Otherwise, the superscript will attach itself to the previous element in the formula. Compare

$f\in ^I\left( \bigcup \{A_i:i\in I\}\right)$ with $f\in {}^I \left( \bigcup \{A_i:i\in I\}\right)$.

In the first case, the superscript $I$ has attached itself to the $\in$ symbol. Even when the braces are inserted, the superscript looks as though it is suspended halfway between the symbols on either side. You can eliminate that by inserting a negative space (given in TeX by \!) after the superscript, to get

$f\in {}^I \!\left( \bigcup \{A_i:i\in I\}\right)$.
Thanks to Krylov and Opalg for the help ...

Much appreciated ..

Peter

1. What does it mean to put a superscript before a variable or expression?

Putting a superscript before a variable or expression means to raise the variable or expression to a higher power. This is commonly denoted by a number or symbol written slightly above and to the right of the variable or expression.

2. How do I put a superscript before a variable or expression?

To put a superscript before a variable or expression, you can use the caret symbol (^) in most programming languages. For example, to raise x to the power of 2, you would write x^2.

3. What is the purpose of using superscripts before variables or expressions?

The use of superscripts before variables or expressions allows for easier notation and representation of mathematical operations, particularly when dealing with larger numbers or complex equations. It also allows for a more concise and efficient way of writing equations.

4. Can I use superscripts before any type of variable or expression?

Yes, superscripts can be used before any type of variable or expression. This includes numbers, letters, and symbols. However, it is important to follow proper mathematical notation and rules when using superscripts.

5. Are there any limitations to using superscripts before variables or expressions?

While superscripts are a useful tool in mathematical notation, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not be compatible with certain fonts or programs. It is important to be aware of these limitations and use alternative notation when necessary.