How can I put this summation into a closed form?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a closed form expression for a summation of natural numbers between 1 and an upper limit K. The solution involves using well-known summation formulas and combining them to get a final formula of n(n+1)(n+2)/6. The person is impressed by the elegance of the solution and asks about the level of expertise of the summarizer.
beadmaster
Hi,

I can't think / remeber how to write the following expresion in a closed form,

the function is a summation of natural numbers between 1 and an upper limit "K", written as

Sigma x with limits K and 1 effectivly, straightforward etc...
what i want is the summation of all the "summations" between K and 1 so sigma (1,K) + sigma (1,(K-1)) + sigma (1,(K-2)) etc.. until it reaches sigma (1,1) ie 1.

its easy to visulise, take K as 5, the expression would be

5+4+3+2+1
+4+3+2+1
+3+2+1
+2+1
+1

which gives 35, i am wanting the answer in terms of K (im presuming its possible) or at least can be written much neater than an expansion, cheers (I thought it could possibly be written as a general sigma summation but prehaps with tending limits, but if so how do you represent the tending being discrete and not continous)

cheers,
tom

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is fairly well known that
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n i= \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]
so your "sum of sums" is
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n\left(\sum_{i=1}^k i\right)= \sum_{k=1}^n \frac{k(k+1)}{2}[/tex]

It is also (reasonably) well known that
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n k^2= \frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/tex]

putting those together,
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{k(k+1)}{2}= \frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^n k^2+ \frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^n k[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}+ \frac{n(n+1)}{2}\right)= \frac{1}{4}n(n+1)\left(\frac{2n+1}{3}+ \frac{3}{3}\right)= \frac{n(n+1)(n+2)}{6}[/tex]

You will note that for your example, with n= 5, this gives
[tex]\frac{5(6)(7)}{6}= (5)(7)= 35[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
thats great thanks, i knew the general summations but tbh i wouldn't have the wit to make some of those connections, not currently at least...:P

cheers

That turns out be remarkably simple! I hadn't expected it to.

Actually, I was surprised that the final formula was so simple!

i recognise the final answer from somewhere else, o well thanks again
:)

can i just mention that that "proof" or process appears increadibly elegant, how long did it take for you to do, could i be so intrusive to ask about you level of expertise as i am taken back by again by the elegence of the solution

cheers

Related to How can I put this summation into a closed form?

1. What is the meaning of "putting a function into closed form"?

Putting a function into closed form means expressing it in a mathematical formula or equation that can be easily evaluated without the need for further calculations.

2. What is the benefit of putting a function into closed form?

Putting a function into closed form allows for easier analysis and manipulation of the function. It also allows for faster and more efficient computation, as well as providing a more concise representation of the function.

3. How do you put a function into closed form?

To put a function into closed form, you need to manipulate the function using mathematical techniques such as algebra, calculus, or trigonometry. This may involve simplifying or rearranging the function to express it in a more concise and easily evaluated form.

4. Can all functions be put into closed form?

No, not all functions can be put into closed form. Some functions, such as transcendental functions like sine and cosine, do not have a closed form expression. In these cases, numerical methods or approximations may be used instead.

5. Are there any limitations to using closed form expressions for functions?

One limitation of using closed form expressions is that they may not always be accurate for all values of the function's variables. This is especially true for functions with complex or irregular behavior. Additionally, some functions may have multiple equivalent closed form expressions, making it difficult to determine the "best" form to use.