Lost Kinetic Energy in Inelastic Collision of Putty and Pivoting Rod

• Thread starter kingsmaug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rod
In summary, a piece of putty with a mass of 0.75 kg and velocity of 2.5 m/s collides with and sticks to a rod with a mass of 2 kg and length of 0.9 m. The collision is inelastic and the putty sticks to the end of the rod. Using the conservation of momentum, the final angular velocity is found to be 1.47059 rad/sec. The initial kinetic energy of the putty is 2.34375 J and the final kinetic energy is 1.24081 J, resulting in a loss of 0.470588. The source of error may be due to assuming the putty sticks to the end of the rod without clarification
kingsmaug

Homework Statement

A piece of putty of mass m = 0.75 kg and velocity v = 2.5 m/s moves on a horizontal frictionless surface. It collides with and sticks to a rod of mass M = 2 kg and length L = 0.9 m which pivots about a fixed vertical axis at the opposite end of the rod as shown. What fraction of the initial kinetic energy of the putty is lost in this collision?

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2mv^2
KE = 1/2Iw^2
L=mvr
L=Iw
I=mL^2/3
I=mr^2

r=L (I'm using the pivot as the point of origin)

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on the wording, it's an inelastic collision, and the putty sticks to the rod.

So, momentum is conserved:

mvL = (mL^2/3+mL^2)w

Using numbers, I found that w = 1.176 rad/s

The initial KE is 1/2mv^2= 2.34

The final KE is 1/2Iw^2= 0.79

KElost/KEi=(KEi-KEf)/KEi = 0.66

but the answer is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did the problem statement give any information regarding where the putty sticks to the rod? I see you assumed that it stuck to the end of the rod. If you guessed "wrong", that could be your source of error. Under this assumption I am also calculating a different value for the angular velocity post-collision.

Last edited:
kingsmaug said:
I found that w = 1.176 rad/s
If the mass is striking the end of the rod, that's too low. Are you confusing yourself by using 'm' for both masses in the equation?

I don't believe I'm using the wrong ones.

So working it over using the proper masses:

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2mv^2
KE = 1/2Iw^2
L=mvr
L=Iw
I=ML^2/3
I=mr^2

r=L (I'm using the pivot as the point of origin)

mvL=(ML^2/3+mL^2)w

w=mvL/(ML^2/3+mL^2) = 1.47059 rad/sec (I don't understand why it isn't the same, but whatever...)

KEi = 1/2mv^2 = 2.34375 J

KEf = 1/2(ML^2/3+mL^2)w^2 = 1.24081 J

(KEi-KEf)/KEi = 0.470588 Which is correct.

And looking through my calculator's log, I found exactly where I went wrong the first time. I accidentally used 2 as the velocity instead of 2.5. :| The stupid feelings.

1. What is putty on a pivoting rod?

Putty on a pivoting rod is a scientific demonstration used to show the properties of both putty and a pivot point. It involves placing a small amount of putty on the end of a pivoting rod and observing how the putty behaves when the rod is moved.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a pivoting rod (such as a ruler or pencil), a small amount of putty, and a flat surface to conduct the experiment on.

3. How does the putty behave on the pivoting rod?

The putty will stretch and move along the rod as it is pivoted. It will also form a ball at the end of the rod due to the force of gravity pulling it down.

4. What scientific principles does this experiment demonstrate?

This experiment demonstrates the properties of putty, such as its ability to stretch and conform to different shapes. It also shows the concept of a pivot point and how objects can rotate around it.

5. Are there any real-world applications for this experiment?

Yes, this experiment can be used to explain various concepts in physics, such as rotational motion and the properties of materials. It can also be used to demonstrate the importance of pivot points in machines and structures.