Puzzle: a cube with Latin squares

In summary: I solved the second puzzle without using the program you created. Here is the solution.In summary, the cube is wrapped in Latin squares and each side shares symbols with neighboring sides. The solution to the first puzzle is #OX+ and the solution to the second is #+.
mioo
Imagine a cube wrapped in Latin squares and try to solve the following puzzles. Please be aware the symbols at the borders are shared between neighboring cube's sides.
Let me know if you like it or not.

This is rather straightforward:
moderate_puzzle.png

This is a bit harder
hard_puzzle.png

Attachments

• moderate_puzzle.png
    moderate_puzzle.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the solution to the first one. I used the # symbol for the square, and the capital letter O for the circle. Highlight the text to see the solution.
Code:
[color=black]
    #OX+
    X+O#
    O#+X
    +X#O
#XO++X#OOX#+
+OX##O+XXO+#
X+#OO+X##+XO
O#+XX#O++#OX
    X#O+
    +OX#
    #X+O
    O+#X
    O+#X
    X#+O
    +XO#
    #OX+
[/color]

Thank you for your interest (I'm really happy about it).
Your solution is correct. Actually, that particular puzzle does not need a look-ahead; however the other one does.
I found a number of these puzzles requiring several look-ahead points, those are really very difficult. I can post some of them if there is an interest.

mioo, excellent puzzles, I hope you present more of the same or others.

I followed Jimmy Snyder's lead and used # for the box and O for the circle. This is the solution to the second puzzle.

...x#+O
...+xO#
...#OX+
...O+#X
x+#OO+#xX+#O
+xO##xO++xO#
#O+XXO+##O+X
O#x++#XOO#x+
...+#XO
...xO+#
...#+Ox
...OX#+
...OX#+
...#+OX
...+Ox#
...x#+O

In solving I use a truncated version of the puzzle where repeating lines are left out except the top and bottom line. This is the solution in the smaller form. An idea I found useful was to use hexadecimal numbers in the blank spaces to represent what was still possible there.
x=8 #=4 +=2 O=1 . if a box contains a 6 only 4 or 2 are possible, 13 =8,4,1 and so on.
for those unfamiliar with hexadecimal numbers they go 1 to 9 and then a,b,c,d,e,f and finally
10=16. using these numbers the possibilities are always one character long. eg.13=d.

...x#+O
...+xO#
...#OX+
x+#O+#x+#O
+xO#xO+xO#
#O+XO+#O+X
O#x+#XO#x+
...xO+#
...#+Ox
...OX#+
...#+OX
...+Ox#
...x#+O

thanks again mioo.

mathal

mathal, thank you, I'm very impressed by your approach to a solution. Thanks also for your nice words.
The following two puzzles are more difficult. I'm posting also a plain text version with characters suggested by Jimmy Snyder.
hard_1250.png

Code:
         . . . . 
         . . O . 
         . . . . 
         . . . . 

. . . .  . . . .  . . . . 
. . . .  . . . .  . . . # 
. . . +  + . . .  . . X . 

. . . . 
         . . . . 
         . O . . 
         . . . . 

. . . . 
         . # . . 
         . . + # 
         . . . .
extreme_puzzle.png

Code:
         . . # . 
         . . . + 
         . . . . 
         . . . . 

. . . .  . . . .  . . + . 
. . . O  O . X .  . . . . 
. . . .  . + . .  . . . . 

. . . . 
         . + . . 
         . . . . 
         . . . . 

. . . . 
         . . . . 
         . . X . 
         . . # .
I have even more difficult ones, still following a rule about a single solution.
Good luck

This is the solution to the first of these new 2. It appears that these puzzles are going to be more challenging- trying different 2 way choices to see if one side fails completely, and then likely ending in loops in the more difficult problems so that either path must be further split and tested. Anyway, I wrote a program yesterday, to deal with as much of the logical simplifications as I could. It will be added to.
This is the solution to the first puzzle. I'll start on the extreme tomorrow. Thanks again.

... +O#X
... #XO+
... O+X#
... X#+O
+#OX X#+O O#+X
O+X# #+OX X+O#
XO#+ +OX# #OX+
#X+O OX#+ +X#O
... OX#+
... +#OX
... XO+#
... #+XO
... #+XO
... X#O+
... OX+#
... +O#X

mathal

The program I wrote yesterday does speed up the process quite a bit. This is the extreme cube solved. Keep making them harder (for me anyway). Do you have any other types of puzzles, mioo?
mathal

...o+#x
...x#o+
...+o#x
____#x+o
ox+##x+oo#+x
+#xoo#x++xo#
#+oxx+o##+xo
xo#++o#xxo#+
...+o#x
...#+xo
...ox+#
____x#o+
...x#o+
...#x+o
...+ox#
...o+#x

mathal, you are a great mind. Even there is a small mistake (on the 3'rd row), I can see you solved it, just swapped 2 symbols. I have to find something more difficult for you :)
BTW, I will not catch a deadline with your ciphered text, nice puzzle...

mioo said:
mathal, you are a great mind. Even there is a small mistake (on the 3'rd row), I can see you solved it, just swapped 2 symbols. I have to find something more difficult for you :)
BTW, I will not catch a deadline with your ciphered text, nice puzzle...

Thanks mioo. I haven't added a readable 'save' to my program so I just copied the lines using my eye on the screen and a not always dependable mind- Which is why I wrote the program.
No one else has come up with the solution yet either- to my ciphered text. The second line deciphered is out today. The first line is an almost but not quite giveaway to the solution.
I welcome any puzzles you have to offer.

mathal

1. What is a puzzle cube with Latin squares?

A puzzle cube with Latin squares is a type of Rubik's Cube-style puzzle that uses Latin squares as its main mechanism. Latin squares are grids filled with symbols or numbers, where each symbol/number appears only once in each row and column. They are used as the basis for a challenging and intriguing puzzle cube.

2. How do you solve a puzzle cube with Latin squares?

Solving a puzzle cube with Latin squares requires a combination of logic, pattern recognition, and trial and error. The goal is to rearrange the Latin squares on each side of the cube so that each row and column contains a unique set of symbols or numbers. It can be quite challenging, but the satisfaction of solving it is worth it!

3. Are there different levels of difficulty for puzzle cubes with Latin squares?

Yes, there are various levels of difficulty for puzzle cubes with Latin squares. Some may have smaller grids with fewer symbols/numbers, while others may have larger grids with more complex patterns. The level of difficulty will depend on the specific puzzle cube and the player's skill level.

4. Can you create your own puzzle cube with Latin squares?

Yes, you can create your own puzzle cube with Latin squares. There are various tutorials and resources available online to help you design and create your own unique puzzle cube. You can also customize the level of difficulty and patterns to make it as challenging as you want.

5. Is there a specific strategy for solving a puzzle cube with Latin squares?

There is no one set strategy for solving a puzzle cube with Latin squares, as each cube can differ in its patterns and difficulty level. However, some general tips for solving these types of puzzles include starting with one side and working your way to the others, breaking the cube down into smaller sections, and using trial and error to test different combinations. Practice and patience are key in solving these types of puzzles!