How Does the Trine POVM Relate to a PVM in an Extended Hilbert Space?

• Thread starter Kreizhn
  • Start date
In summary, by applying Neumark/Naimark's Theorem, we can identify the PVM in an extended Hilbert space that reduces to the trine POVM. We can choose the unitary operator U to be the identity operator, and the operator P to be the operator E_i from the trine POVM. The state | \psi \rangle\langle \psi | in H_B can be chosen to be any state that is orthogonal to the unit vectors n_1, n_2, and n_3.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

Given the trine POVM, identify the PVM in an extended Hilbert space that reduces to the trine POVM.

Homework Equations

Trine POVM:
Define the projectors [itex] | \psi_i \rangle\langle \psi_i | [/itex] by their action on [itex] \mathbb{C}^2 [/itex] as follows
[tex] (\sigma \cdot n_i ) \psi_i = \psi_i [/itex]
where sigma consists of the Pauli spin operator, and [itex] n_i, i = 1,2,3 [/itex] are the set of unit vectors that lie 120 degrees relative to each other on a great circle of the Bloch sphere. The trine POVM is then given by {E}, where [itex] E_i = \frac23 | \psi \rangle\langle \psi |[/itex]

Neumark/Naimark's Theorem:
For any POVM {E} acting on [itex] H_a [/itex], there exists a PVM {P} of the form [itex] U^\dagger (1_A \otimes P) U [/itex] for unitary U, and P an operator on an extended Hilbert space, and a state [itex] | \psi \rangle\langle \psi |\in H_B[/itex] such that, for any state [itex] \rho \in H_A[/itex] we have
[tex] Tr[(\rho \otimes | \psi \rangle\langle \psi |) P(X) ] = Tr[E(X)\rho] [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried expanding this out, but cannot find any explicit restrictions that would clearly define P. Any ideas would be useful.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. In order to identify the PVM in an extended Hilbert space that reduces to the trine POVM, we need to use Neumark/Naimark's Theorem. This theorem states that for any POVM {E} acting on H_a, there exists a PVM {P} of the form U^\dagger (1_A \otimes P) U for unitary U, and P an operator on an extended Hilbert space, and a state | \psi \rangle\langle \psi |\in H_B such that, for any state \rho \in H_A, we have Tr[(\rho \otimes | \psi \rangle\langle \psi |) P(X) ] = Tr[E(X)\rho].

To apply this theorem to our problem, we need to first define the extended Hilbert space. We can do this by considering the Bloch sphere, which is a representation of the state space for a two-level quantum system. The Bloch sphere has three unit vectors, n_1, n_2, and n_3, that lie 120 degrees relative to each other on a great circle. These vectors are related to the Pauli spin operator, sigma, as described in the trine POVM.

Next, we need to define the unitary operator U and the operator P on the extended Hilbert space. We can choose U to be the identity operator, since it will not affect the final result. For P, we can use the operator E_i from the trine POVM, which is given by E_i = \frac23 | \psi \rangle\langle \psi |. This means that P_i = | \psi \rangle\langle \psi |. Therefore, the PVM {P} of the form U^\dagger (1_A \otimes P) U is simply P_i = | \psi \rangle\langle \psi |.

Finally, we need to find the state | \psi \rangle\langle \psi | in H_B that satisfies the condition given by Neumark/Naimark's Theorem. We can choose | \psi \rangle\langle \psi | to be any state that is orthogonal to the three unit vectors n_1, n_2, and n_3. For example, we can choose | \psi \rangle\langle \psi | to be the state (1/\

1. What is PVM and POVM in relation to Trine?

PVM (Positive Volume Mapping) and POVM (Positive Operator Valued Measure) are mathematical techniques used in the field of quantum mechanics to describe the possible states of a quantum system. In Trine, these techniques are used to calculate the probability of a particular state occurring.

2. How are PVM and POVM related to each other?

PVM and POVM are closely related techniques, with PVM being a special case of POVM. Both are used to describe the same set of possible states of a quantum system, but POVM is more general and allows for the possibility of non-orthogonal states.

3. What is the significance of finding PVM for Trine POVM?

Finding PVM for Trine POVM allows us to accurately calculate the probability of a particular state occurring in the game. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and making accurate predictions about their behavior.

4. How is PVM for Trine POVM calculated?

The PVM for Trine POVM is calculated using mathematical techniques based on the principles of quantum mechanics. This involves solving complex equations and using various mathematical tools such as linear algebra and probability theory.

5. What are the practical applications of PVM for Trine POVM?

The practical applications of PVM for Trine POVM include understanding the behavior of quantum systems, making accurate predictions about their behavior, and developing advanced technologies such as quantum computing and cryptography.