1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PVMs from POVMs

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the trine POVM, identify the PVM in an extended Hilbert space that reduces to the trine POVM.

2. Relevant equations
    Trine POVM:
    Define the projectors [itex] | \psi_i \rangle\langle \psi_i | [/itex] by their action on [itex] \mathbb{C}^2 [/itex] as follows
    [tex] (\sigma \cdot n_i ) \psi_i = \psi_i [/itex]
    where sigma consists of the Pauli spin operator, and [itex] n_i, i = 1,2,3 [/itex] are the set of unit vectors that lie 120 degrees relative to each other on a great circle of the Bloch sphere. The trine POVM is then given by {E}, where [itex] E_i = \frac23 | \psi \rangle\langle \psi |[/itex]

Neumark/Naimark's Theorem:
    For any POVM {E} acting on [itex] H_a [/itex], there exists a PVM {P} of the form [itex] U^\dagger (1_A \otimes P) U [/itex] for unitary U, and P an operator on an extended Hilbert space, and a state [itex] | \psi \rangle\langle \psi |\in H_B[/itex] such that, for any state [itex] \rho \in H_A[/itex] we have
    [tex] Tr[(\rho \otimes | \psi \rangle\langle \psi |) P(X) ] = Tr[E(X)\rho] [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried expanding this out, but cannot find any explicit restrictions that would clearly define P. Any ideas would be useful.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?