PWM Circuit and DC motor problems (for NYE ball drop project)

In summary, the conversation revolves around the creation of a New Year's Eve ball-drop using a motorized controlled-release lit-up ball. The circuit is being built using an online schematic and includes a high-speed motor, variable power supply, and a pot. There is an issue with the pot burning out and it has been replaced with a 25 ohm pot, but it still gets hot when turned up. The person is seeking help with troubleshooting the circuit and making modifications to increase the frequency of the motor turning on. There is some discussion about the wiring and potential errors, as well as the suitability of the replacement pot.
froggy365
Hi all,

This is my first time making a somewhat complicated circuit, with the help of an online schematic. (http://www.dprg.org/tutorials/2005-11a/index.html )

My goal is to make a New Year's Eve ball-drop, which has a motorized controlled-release lit-up ball (on a separate power cable). All of the mechanics are in place, so the only issue I currently have is troubleshooting the electronics on the circuit. I have a variable power supply from 3V-12V at 1A. The motor I am using is a high-speed 18,000 RPM motor that operates from 9V-18V, at a maximum of 1.9A.

I initially used the schematic that I have provided the link for, but the 100K pot burned out, so I replaced it with a 25 ohm 3-watt pot, and that seems to be handling the current better; although, when I turn this pot up, it gets very hot, and apparently can only work at lower resistances.

The voltage input I am using is 12V, with 1A of current. It takes about 40 seconds for the ball to drop currently, so I would like to modify the circuit so that the frequency of the motor turning on would be about 4x greater than it is now (now I think it's turning on around every 1.5 seconds). My setup is a DC motor connected to a large pulley by a rubberband, which is on the same axel as a smaller pulley, which has the string holding the ball wrapped around it. The string goes up about 7.5 feet, through another 2-pulley system (so that the ball is easier on the motor).

It looks great so far, but some help from the gurus would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 625
  • circuit2.JPG
    circuit2.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 521
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This looks like a variant of a pretty standard circuit. However, usually the FET is wired to 555's output pin not discharge like this:
http://www.discovercircuits.com/DJ-Circuits/simplepwm2.htm

As reset is tied in your example I think connecting the FET's gate to output is the right thing to do. There is also usually a current limiting resistor on the pot's wipe like on the circuit I linked to.

I suspect what is happening is once discharge let's go of the gate the FET just drives the motor full blast due to R2 so it is not actually PWM'ing the motor.

I have no idea why the pot would get hot enough to burn out though. If you pushed the wipe all the way to one side it would be a short and Q can sink and source a lot of current but TR and THR should be high impedance. My only guess is there is a wiring error somewhere.

Good Luck

Oh I should've mentioned that I think the schematic you linked looks like it should work fine (Not sure why they use R2 instead of just wiring to Q though) that's why my only guess is a wiring error.

You might be having trouble because of the way that circuit is drawn.

Where you have wires that cross and make contact, they draw a small circle at the joining point.
Where they cross, but don't make contact, then there is no circle.

So, for example, there is no connection between pin 1 and pin 6. If there was one, then this would explain your pot burning out.

There is also no connection between pins 3 and 8.

Also, the 25 ohm pot is not a suitable substitute for a 100K pot. You need to get a pot that is similar to the one that burnt out.

1. What is a PWM circuit and how does it work?

A PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses a digital signal to control an analog device, such as a DC motor. It works by rapidly turning on and off the power supply to the device, with the duration of the on and off cycles determining the average voltage supplied to the device. This allows for precise control of the speed or position of the device.

2. How does a DC motor work and how is it different from other types of motors?

A DC motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy through the use of a magnetic field. This is achieved by passing an electric current through a coil of wire (armature) that is placed between the poles of a permanent magnet. As the current flows, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnet, causing the armature to rotate. DC motors are different from other types of motors because they use a direct current power source and have a simple construction, making them more efficient and reliable.

3. What are some common problems that can occur when using a PWM circuit with a DC motor?

One common problem is motor noise, which is caused by the rapid switching of the power supply in the PWM circuit. This can be reduced by using smoothing capacitors or adding a low-pass filter to the circuit. Another issue is back EMF (electromotive force), which occurs when the motor stops abruptly and can damage the circuit. This can be avoided by using flyback diodes or other protective devices in the circuit.

4. How can I troubleshoot and fix problems with my PWM circuit and DC motor?

If your PWM circuit and DC motor are not functioning properly, start by checking all connections and ensuring they are secure. Make sure the power supply is adequate for the motor and that the PWM signal is being sent correctly. If the motor is not spinning, check for any physical obstructions or damage. If the motor is spinning erratically, adjust the duty cycle of the PWM signal or add a smoothing capacitor to the circuit.

5. Is a PWM circuit necessary for controlling a DC motor, or are there alternative methods?

A PWM circuit is not the only way to control a DC motor, but it is one of the most efficient and precise methods. Other options include using a variable resistor (potentiometer) or a motor controller. However, these methods may not provide the same level of control and may be less efficient. It is recommended to use a PWM circuit for optimal performance and motor control.