Q is the quality factor of series resonant circuits

In summary, the quality factor (Q) of a series resonant circuit is calculated by dividing 1 by the square root of the product of inductance (L) and capacitance (C). For parallel resonant circuits, Q is calculated by dividing resistance (R) by the angular frequency (w) times inductance (L). A loaded resonant circuit refers to a circuit with a load connected to it, while an unloaded resonant circuit has no load connected. The definition of Q is the quotient of center frequency over bandwidth, which leads to the different formulas for parallel and series circuits. To find the Q of a loaded resonant circuit, further explanation and clarification may be needed.
ng
Hi all

I read that Q,the quality factor of series resonant circuits is wL/R
------------>1/R sqrt(L/C).This i understand

1.but for parallel resonant it is R/wL...hmm but why is that?this i don quite get.

2.Then what do u mean by loaded resonant circuit and unloaded resonant circuit?

I hope to hear from u guys.
Thanx for ur time and help.
ng

Engineering news on Phys.org
Q is defined as the quotient of center frequency over bandwidth. From this definition follow the different formulas for parallel and series circuits.

i am sorry to be a dumbo but i wish u spelled it out. :redface:

Can someone tell me how to find the Quality factor of a loaded resonant circuit?

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEthanks a lot.

Related to Q is the quality factor of series resonant circuits

1. What is the purpose of Q in series resonant circuits?

The quality factor, or Q, of a series resonant circuit determines the sharpness of the resonance peak. It indicates how well the circuit can store and release energy at its resonant frequency. A higher Q value means a more efficient and precise resonance.

2. How is Q calculated in a series resonant circuit?

Q can be calculated by dividing the reactance of the inductor (XL) by the resistance of the circuit (R), or by dividing the resonant frequency (fr) by the bandwidth (BW). The formula for Q is Q = XL / R = fr / BW.

3. What factors affect the Q value in a series resonant circuit?

The Q value in a series resonant circuit is affected by the resistance of the circuit, the inductance of the inductor, and the capacitance of the capacitor. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and frequency can also impact the Q value.

4. What is the relationship between Q and bandwidth in a series resonant circuit?

The bandwidth of a series resonant circuit is inversely proportional to the Q value. This means that as the Q value increases, the bandwidth decreases and the resonance peak becomes sharper. Conversely, a lower Q value results in a wider bandwidth and a less defined resonance peak.

5. How does Q affect the selectivity of a series resonant circuit?

Q is directly related to the selectivity of a series resonant circuit. A higher Q value indicates a more selective circuit, meaning it can better filter out unwanted frequencies and only allow the resonant frequency to pass through. This makes Q an important factor in the design and performance of filters and other applications that require precise frequency control.