Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q: name this material

  1. Sep 26, 2009 #1
    I'm a layman so the following terms are not to be taken to the first degree.

    I'm searching for a material that offers preferential permeability to magnetic fields. In the article I read (and subsequently lost) the material is offered as an alternative to a Faraday cage in that it doesn't prevent EM fields from entering the cage and the object it protects, but rather encloses the object in a solid shell that forces the fields to flow through the shell - following it's contours - rather than piercing it, for lack of a better term.

    Ring a bell, anyone?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2009 #2
    Rechecking...Materials & Chemical Engineering (check).
  4. Oct 4, 2009 #3
  5. Oct 4, 2009 #4
    God yes, thank you! With a name like that I understand why I could not find it again with a typical Google search.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook