QF, action, EoM, mass of particle, on-shell

In summary, the speaker is stuck on part d of the problem and is unsure how to find the corresponding mass. The speaker should expand only to first order in ##\phi'(x)## and use the dispersion relation to solve for ##m^2##.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Question attached.

avtiommas.png

I am stuck on part d, but give my workings to all parts of the question below.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
a) EoM given by E-L equations:
Gives ##-\partial_u\partial^u \phi + m^2 \phi - \frac{\lambda \phi^3}{3!} =0 ##
b) ## L=T- V ##, ## T## the kinetic energy, ##V## the potential energy

So , assuming a signature of ##(-,+,+,..) ## , ##L=\frac{1}{2} (\partial_t \phi)^2-\frac{1}{2} (\partial_i \phi )^2+\frac{1}{2}m^2 \phi^2 - \frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4-\frac{3m^4}{2\lambda} ##

So ##-V= -\frac{1}{2} (\partial_i \phi )^2+\frac{1}{2}m^2 \phi^2 - \frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4-\frac{3m^4}{2\lambda} ##

c) for a constant field the first deriviative term of the EoM vanishes. So we have :

##m^2 \phi - \lambda \frac{\phi^3}{3!} = 0 ##
## \phi (m^2-\lambda \frac{\phi^2}{3!}) =0 ##
So ##\phi_c = \pm m \sqrt{\frac{3!}{\lambda}} ##

To check which have the lowest energy evaluate ## T+ V##

d)

I get: (I can't do tilda in LaTex so I've changed it to ##\phi=\phi_c+\phi'(x) ## )

## S= \int d^2 x (\frac{-1}{2} \partial_u \phi' \partial^u \phi' + \frac{1}{2}m^2 (\phi_c + \phi')^2 - \frac{\lambda}{4!} (\phi_c + \phi')^4 -\frac{3m^4}{2\lambda}) ##

Should I expand only to first order in ##\phi'(x)##?

Since ## \phi_c ## satisfies the EoM , the EoM becomes:

## -\partial_u\partial^u \phi' + m^2 \phi' -\frac{\lambda}{3!}\phi^3 =0 ##

I have no idea how get the corresponding mass. I know that if the EoM is obeyed, the particle is on-shell and ##p^up_u = -m^2 ## ? I think my answer lies in this but I'm not sure what to do

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving the given problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts involved and have made some progress towards finding the solution.

To answer your question about part d, yes, you should expand only to first order in ##\phi'(x)##. This is because we are interested in small fluctuations around the classical solution ##\phi_c##, and expanding to higher orders would involve higher powers of these fluctuations which are negligible in comparison to the classical solution.

To find the corresponding mass, you can use the relation you mentioned: ##p^up_u = -m^2##. This is known as the dispersion relation and relates the energy and momentum of a particle to its mass. In this case, since we are considering a scalar field, the momentum is given by ##p^u = \partial^u \phi## and the energy is given by ##p_u = \partial_u \phi##. Substituting these into the dispersion relation, you can solve for ##m^2##.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your solution!

1. What is the meaning of "QF" in physics?

QF stands for quantum field, which is a theoretical framework used to describe and analyze the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to study the dynamics of particles and fields at a microscopic level.

2. What is the concept of "action" in physics?

Action is a fundamental quantity in physics that describes the dynamics of a physical system. It is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian (a function that describes the energy of a system) over time. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how much a system changes over a certain period of time.

3. What does "EoM" stand for in physics?

EoM stands for equations of motion, which are mathematical equations that describe the behavior of a physical system over time. These equations are derived from the principles of classical mechanics and can be used to predict the trajectory of a particle or the evolution of a system.

4. What is the mass of a particle in physics?

In physics, mass is a fundamental property of matter and is often defined as the amount of matter in an object. It is a scalar quantity and is usually measured in units of kilograms (kg). The mass of a particle is an important parameter that affects its behavior and interactions with other particles.

5. What does it mean for a particle to be "on-shell"?

In physics, a particle is said to be on-shell when its energy and momentum satisfy the equations of motion. This means that the particle's energy and momentum are consistent with the physical laws governing its behavior. Off-shell particles, on the other hand, do not satisfy these equations and are typically considered to be virtual particles with limited lifetimes.