QFT Time Ordering: Solve Mystery of Operator Rewriting

• Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft Time
In summary, the time ordering operator T_τ orders operators according to time such that: T_τ(A(τ)B(τ')) = A(τ)B(τ') for τ>τ' and B(τ')A(τ) for τ'>τ. And the operator U(t,t') is a unitary operator that propagates a state from t' to t and has the property that: U(t,t')=U(t,t'')U(t'',t')
aaaa202
I have asked this question once, but no one seemed to notice it, so I'll try again. In my book the time ordering operator is used to rewrite an operator product:

U(β,τ)A(τ)U(τ,τ')B(τ')U(τ',0) = T_τ(U(β,0)A(τ)B(τ'))

To refresh your memories the time ordering operator T_τ orders operators according to time such that:
T_τ(A(τ)B(τ')) = A(τ)B(τ') for τ>τ' and B(τ')A(τ) for τ'>τ
And the operator U(t,t') is a unitary operator that propagates a state from t' to t and has the property that:
U(t,t')=U(t,t'')U(t'',t')

I am still unsure how the rewriting is done though. One key ingredient is to use the property of the unitary above to write:
This way we have:
U(0,β)=U(0,τ')U(τ',τ)U(τ,β)
And i think the idea is then to insert in the expression and use time-order but I am not sure how to.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an implicit assumption here that ##\beta>\tau>\tau'>0##.

Start with
[tex]T[U(\beta,0)A(\tau)B(\tau')][/tex]
Then substitute in
[tex]U(\beta,0)=U(\beta,\tau)U(\tau,\tau')U(\tau',0)[/tex]
to get
[tex]T[U(\beta,\tau)U(\tau,\tau')U(\tau',0)A(\tau)B(\tau')][/tex]
Now rearrange the operators so that time labels decrease as you go left to right:
[tex]T[U(\beta,\tau)A(\tau)U(\tau,\tau')B(\tau')U(\tau',0)][/tex]
The labels are now in time-order, so the time-ordering symbol can be dropped:
[tex]U(\beta,\tau)A(\tau)U(\tau,\tau')B(\tau')U(\tau',0)[/tex]
QED.

hmm okay I thought it was something like that, but I am still unsure though. Which time do you assing to the operator U(t1,t2)? It propagates a state from t1 to t2, so it is not really a function of one time - or am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
aaaa202 said:
Which time do you assign to the operator U(t1,t2)?
You can think of it as a product of many operators at closely spaced times, and break it up as needed; this is what I did above.

So I should basically assign to U(t1,t2) a value of time between t1 and t2?

Related to QFT Time Ordering: Solve Mystery of Operator Rewriting

1. What is QFT time ordering?

QFT time ordering, or time ordering in quantum field theory, is a mathematical operation used to rearrange operators in an expression to ensure the correct ordering of time-dependent variables. This is necessary in order to accurately calculate the time evolution of a quantum system.

2. Why is time ordering important in QFT?

Time ordering is important in QFT because it allows us to properly account for the time evolution of quantum systems. Without it, calculations would not accurately reflect the physical reality of the system. QFT time ordering also ensures that operators are properly ordered in terms of their creation and annihilation times, which is crucial in understanding the dynamics of a system.

3. How does QFT time ordering solve the mystery of operator rewriting?

In QFT, operators can be rewritten in different ways due to the non-commutativity of quantum operators. Time ordering provides a systematic way to handle these operator rewrites, ensuring that the correct ordering of operators is maintained and leading to accurate calculations and predictions.

4. How is QFT time ordering related to Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are graphical representations of mathematical expressions in QFT. These diagrams often involve time-ordered products of operators, which are arranged according to QFT time ordering rules. This allows Feynman diagrams to accurately capture the time evolution of quantum systems and make predictions about their behavior.

5. Are there any challenges in using QFT time ordering?

One challenge in using QFT time ordering is that it can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially when dealing with more complicated systems. Additionally, time ordering may not always be well-defined or unique for certain types of interactions, leading to potential difficulties in calculations. However, with proper understanding and application, QFT time ordering is a powerful tool for solving mysteries in operator rewriting and accurately predicting the behavior of quantum systems.