Understanding Light Propagation for Quantum Field Theory

• Thread starter captain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft Topic
In summary, quantum field theory does not directly deal with the propagation of light, but understanding the speed of light as a constant from special relativity is important in studying QFT. While studying QFT, it is also important to understand how various phenomena related to the propagation of light are accounted for. The radiation of electromagnetic waves is relevant to QFT, but is usually not explicitly covered in courses as it can be explained by classical Maxwell's equations. However, it is possible to explain all of these phenomena within the framework of QFT. The number of degrees of freedom in a field is related to the dimensions of the Hilbert space for a specific state, but this is not a simple relationship.
captain
do you need to know about the propagation of light to understand quantum field theory?

note: when i speak of propagation of light i am only talking about these topics only: geometrical optics, intensity, the angular eikonal, narro bundles of rays, image formation with broad bundles of rays, limits of geometrical optics, diffraction, fresnel diffraction, fraunhofer diffraction.

Physics news on Phys.org
They have no direct relevance to the foundations of quantum field theory. However, it's important whilst studying QFT to understand how those various phenomenon are accounted for.

the one most important thing about the propagation of light that is relevant to QFT is the fact that speed of light is a "constant".. ie. special relativity. :smile:

thanks for your responses

does the radiation of electromagnetic waves have anything to do with quantum field theory?

note: when i speak of radiation of electromagenetc waves i am only referring to the topics: the field of a system of charges at large distances, dipole radiation, dipole radiation during collisions, radiation of low frequency in collision, radiation in the case of coulomb interaction, quadrupole and magnetic dipole radiation, the field of the radiation at near distances, radiation from a rapidly movig charge, synchrotron radiation (magnetic bremsstrahlung), radiation damping, radiation damping in the relativistic case, spectral resolution of the radiation in the ultrarelativistic case, scattering by free charges, scattering of low frequency waves, scattering of high frequency waves.

I am sure they do, but how exactly everything ties together, I am not qualified to tell you that. remember, QFT comes from special rel + QM... and so such "action-at-a-distance" can naturally be explained by QFT.

eg. in the QFT picture, electromagnetic interactions are mediated by virtual photons (like a messager).. so for instance a +ve charge knows a presence of -ve charge nearby because of the exchange of these virtual photons between them. but of course real radiation are carried by real photons.

captain said:
does the radiation of electromagnetic waves have anything to do with quantum field theory?

note: when i speak of radiation of electromagenetc waves i am only referring to the topics: the field of a system of charges at large distances, dipole radiation, dipole radiation during collisions, radiation of low frequency in collision, radiation in the case of coulomb interaction, quadrupole and magnetic dipole radiation, the field of the radiation at near distances, radiation from a rapidly movig charge, synchrotron radiation (magnetic bremsstrahlung), radiation damping, radiation damping in the relativistic case, spectral resolution of the radiation in the ultrarelativistic case, scattering by free charges, scattering of low frequency waves, scattering of high frequency waves.

In so far as they're both models of the same phenomenon, yes. In so far as whether courses that teach them will cover that material, no. Whole field effects in QED are given by coherent photon states, and usually people don't bother to actually base their calculations on them. The usual testing ground of QED is high energy particle collisions, where you have a tiny space over which interactions occur, and detection (and set-up) is done at approximately infinity away.

captain said:

Your question is quite broad, I'd just like to comment that QFT is about the ways to solve for quantum mechanical behaviour of a system with an infinite number of degrees of freedom (a field), whenever such physical model is applicable. It by no mean has to deal with electromagnetism (that is, QED is just application of QFT to electrodynamics). You can study QFT using, e.g. field theories for phase-transitions in condensed matter systems.

Another note: from a quick look, it looks to me as if all the E-M phenomena you referred to are classical, which means that they can be explained by the Maxwell Eqs. For that reason, they follow from QFT, specifically QED, once you see how the Maxwell Eqs. follow from the theory. For that reason they don't need to come up explicitly.

On the other hand, it should be possible to explain all those phenomena in purely QFT terms, if one had a good reason to do so, although I'm certainly not about to try!

Slaviks said:
Your question is quite broad, I'd just like to comment that QFT is about the ways to solve for quantum mechanical behaviour of a system with an infinite number of degrees of freedom (a field), whenever such physical model is applicable. It by no mean has to deal with electromagnetism (that is, QED is just application of QFT to electrodynamics). You can study QFT using, e.g. field theories for phase-transitions in condensed matter systems.

just a quick question, is the number of degrees of freedom the same as the number to dimensions in hilbert space for the specific state of a field?

captain said:
just a quick question, is the number of degrees of freedom the same as the number to dimensions in hilbert space for the specific state of a field?

I'll say that it is. Unfortunately, of course, it's not *really* that simple.

captain said:

Not really. The number of degree of freedoms of a free bosonc is the number of Harmonic oscillators you use to describe it. Formally it is divergent, but physically you always have a small-k cutoff. But then even for a single harmonic oscialltor, the corresponding Hilber space has infinite number of dimensions (again, usually one can truncate at highenough energies).
So the total dimension of the Hilbert space for a specific state
is one large numebr (the number of oscillators) to the power of another large numebr (the number of sates of a single oscillator.

In this way you can see why quantum field theory is much "richer" that the its calssical limit: in the classical limit, each oscillator is characterized by a single number (amplitude), while the quantum description assigns to it an infinitely-dimensional vector.

1. What is light propagation in the context of quantum field theory?

Light propagation in quantum field theory refers to the behavior of electromagnetic waves in the quantum realm. It is described by the interaction between photons and virtual particles, where photons are the carriers of electromagnetic force and virtual particles are constantly popping in and out of existence in the quantum vacuum.

2. How does light propagate in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, light propagates as a series of interacting particles and waves. Photons, as the fundamental particles of light, travel at the speed of light and can interact with virtual particles, creating a complex network of interactions that determines the behavior of light.

3. What is the role of quantum field theory in understanding light propagation?

Quantum field theory provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions, including the propagation of light. It allows us to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes and make predictions about the behavior of light in various scenarios.

4. How does light propagation in quantum field theory differ from classical physics?

In classical physics, light is described as a continuous wave that travels through space without interacting with particles. In quantum field theory, light is described as a series of interacting particles and waves, and its behavior is probabilistic rather than deterministic.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding light propagation in quantum field theory?

Understanding light propagation in quantum field theory has many real-world applications, including the development of quantum technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It also plays a crucial role in various fields of physics, such as particle physics and astrophysics, where the behavior of light is essential to understanding the universe.