QM: Changing Basis | Why Use T_{σa,σb}?

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis Qm
In summary, the conversation discusses representing the kinetic energy operator in a specific representation and the use of a contracted expression to form the matrix elements of T. The individual explains the process and clarifies a mistake made by the author.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

Say I have the kinetic energy operator denoted by T(ri) for the particle i. I wish to represent it in some [itex]\left| \sigma \right\rangle [/itex]-representation. My book says it is given by

[tex]
T = \sum\limits_{\sigma _a ,\sigma _b } {T_{\sigma _a ,\sigma _b } \left| {\psi _{\sigma _a } \left( {r_i } \right)} \right\rangle \left\langle {\psi _{\sigma _b } \left( {r_i } \right)} \right|},
[/tex]

where the first part of the sum denotes the matrix elements of T. My question is why the author is using

[tex]
\hat 1 = \sum\limits_{\sigma _a ,\sigma _b } {\left| {\psi _{\sigma _a } \left( {r_i } \right)} \right\rangle \left\langle {\psi _{\sigma _b } \left( {r_i } \right)} \right|} ,
[/tex]

when in fact it is given by

[tex]
\hat 1 = \sum\limits_\sigma {\left| {\psi _\sigma \left( {r_i } \right)} \right\rangle \left\langle {\psi _\sigma \left( {r_i } \right)} \right|}
[/tex]

I hope you will shed some light on this.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
He is, but part of the expression has been contracted to form the matrix elements of T. Specifically, start with

[tex] T = \hat{1} T \hat{1} = \left( \sum\limits_{\sigma_a} {\left| {\psi _{\sigma_a} \left( {r_i } \right)} \right\rangle \left\langle {\psi_{\sigma_a} \left( {r_i } \right)} \right|}\right) T \left( \sum\limits_{\sigma_b} {\left| {\psi _{\sigma_b} \left( {r_i } \right)} \right\rangle \left\langle {\psi_{\sigma_b} \left( {r_i } \right)} \right|} \right) [/tex]

[tex] = \sum\limits_{\sigma_a,\sigma_b } {\left| {\psi _{\sigma_a} \left( {r_i } \right)} \right\rangle \left\langle {\psi_{\sigma_a} \left( {r_i } \right)} \right|} T {\left| {\psi _{\sigma_b} \left( {r_i } \right)} \right\rangle \left\langle {\psi_{\sigma_b} \left( {r_i } \right)} \right|} = \sum\limits_{\sigma_a,\sigma_b } {\left| {\psi _{\sigma_a} \left( {r_i } \right)} \right\rangle T_{\sigma_a\sigma_b \right\rangle \left\langle {\psi_{\sigma_b} \left( {r_i } \right)} \right|}[/tex]

You are right, thanks!

FAQ: QM: Changing Basis | Why Use T_{σa,σb}?

1. What is quantum mechanics and why is it important?

Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and has led to many technological advancements, such as transistors and lasers.

2. What is a basis in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a basis is a set of states or vectors that are used to describe the behavior of a system. These states are used to represent the possible outcomes of a measurement and are often expressed as a linear combination of basis states.

3. How does changing the basis affect quantum mechanics?

Changing the basis in quantum mechanics allows us to analyze a system from different perspectives. This can provide insight into the behavior of the system and can simplify complex calculations. It also allows us to relate different physical quantities and understand their interconnections.

4. What is the purpose of using T_{σa,σb} in quantum mechanics?

T_{σa,σb} is a transformation operator that helps us change the basis in quantum mechanics. It is used to convert a state from one basis to another, making it easier to perform calculations and analyze the behavior of a system. It also allows us to study the properties of a system in different reference frames.

5. Can quantum mechanics be applied to everyday life?

While quantum mechanics may seem abstract, it has many practical applications in our everyday lives. For example, it is used in modern technology such as computers, smartphones, and GPS systems. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry, material science, and medicine.