QM: Operator in momentum representation

In summary, the book's way of representing the kinetic energy operator in momentum space is the same as the 1-operator representation.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi guys

As we have discussed earlier, we can represent some operator in an arbitrary basis by the use of the 1-operator:

[tex]
T = \hat{1} T \hat{1} = \sum\limits_{\sigma_a,\sigma_b } {\left| {\psi _{\sigma_a} \left( {r_i } \right)} \right\rangle T_{\sigma_a\sigma_b \right\rangle \left\langle {\psi_{\sigma_b} \left( {r_i } \right)} \right|}
[/tex]

However, in my book they represent the kinetic energy operator in momentum space by the following (disregarding spin)

[tex]
\left\langle {{\bf{k}}'} \right|T\left| {\bf{k}} \right\rangle \propto k^2 \delta _{{\bf{k}},{\bf{k}}'}.
[/tex]

I cannot seem to connect these two methods of representing operators in some basis. How can one realize that the book's way of transforming is the same as ours with 1-operators?Niles.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The expression

[tex]
\left\langle {{\bf{k}}'} \right|T\left| {\bf{k}} \right\rangle \propto k^2 \delta _{{\bf{k}},{\bf{k}}'}
[/tex]

is for the matrix elements of [tex]T[/tex]. The corresponding operator could be written as

[tex] \hat{T} = \sum_k c k^2 |k\rangle\langle k|,[/tex]

where [tex]c[/tex] is the proportionality constant (probably [tex]1/(2m)[/tex]).

fzero said:
The expression

[tex]
\left\langle {{\bf{k}}'} \right|T\left| {\bf{k}} \right\rangle \propto k^2 \delta _{{\bf{k}},{\bf{k}}'}
[/tex]

is for the matrix elements of [tex]T[/tex]. The corresponding operator could be written as

[tex] \hat{T} = \sum_k c k^2 |k\rangle\langle k|,[/tex]

where [tex]c[/tex] is the proportionality constant (probably [tex]1/(2m)[/tex]).

Thanks, but how do we know what I have highlighted above? I can see that you have inserted the 1-operator.

All I did was substitute the matrix elements into the corresponding version of the equation [tex]

T = \sum\limits_{\sigma_a,\sigma_b } {\left| {\psi _{\sigma_a} \left( {r_i } \right)} \right\rangle T_{\sigma_a\sigma_b \right\rangle \left\langle {\psi_{\sigma_b} \left( {r_i } \right)} \right|}

[/tex]

Thanks!

What is the momentum representation in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the momentum representation is a mathematical tool used to describe the state of a quantum system in terms of its momentum. It is often used in conjunction with the position representation to fully describe a quantum system.

What is an operator in momentum representation?

In quantum mechanics, an operator in momentum representation is a mathematical function that operates on the wave function of a quantum system in the momentum representation. It is used to extract information about the momentum of the system.

How is the momentum operator defined in momentum representation?

The momentum operator in momentum representation is defined as the derivative of the wave function with respect to momentum. It is represented by the symbol p with a caret ( ̂ ) on top, and its action on the wave function is given by p ̂ Ψ(p) = -iħ dΨ(p)/dp, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

What is the physical significance of the momentum operator?

The momentum operator is a fundamental quantity in quantum mechanics that represents the observable momentum of a quantum system. It is used to calculate the average momentum and other statistical properties of the system, providing important physical insights about the behavior of particles on a quantum level.

How is the momentum operator used in solving quantum mechanical problems?

The momentum operator is used in conjunction with other operators, such as the Hamiltonian, to solve the Schrödinger equation and determine the wave function of a quantum system. It is also used to calculate expectation values and probabilities of different momentum values for a given system.