QM interpretation with something moving backward in time?

In summary: Wow. Thanks Atyy. That was quick. So the pilot wave interpretation doesn't include anything going backwards in time. Right?Right, the pilot wave is a naive Newtonian interpretation. It works for non-relativistic QM and some relativistic QM, not yet sure whether it works for everything.
thenewmans
It’s easy enough to find the interpretations that break counterfactual definiteness in order to maintain locality. But I’m not sure how to find the ones with something (perhaps information) moving backwards through time.

The reason I ask is I’ve always had trouble with the idea that a measurement on one entangled particle instantaneously affects the other. That’s because that implies simultaneity and a preferred inertial frame of reference. It also implies (something (info?) traveling superluminally. I’ve always thought you can avoid those issues by having the information travel backwards through time. That way, you can keep the information within the light cones of the 2 measurements. Chances are I’m not the first to think of this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. Thanks Atyy. That was quick. So the pilot-wave interpretation doesn't include anything going backwards in time. Right?

Right, the pilot wave is a naive Newtonian interpretation. It works for non-relativistic QM and some relativistic QM, not yet sure whether it works for everything.

The transactional interpretation is much less studied than the pilot wave theory, so it is even less clear where it works or doesn't. You can look up Ruth Kastner's research for some current attempts at advancing the transactional interpretation.

thenewmans said:
It’s easy enough to find the interpretations that break counterfactual definiteness in order to maintain locality. But I’m not sure how to find the ones with something (perhaps information) moving backwards through time.

The reason I ask is I’ve always had trouble with the idea that a measurement on one entangled particle instantaneously affects the other. That’s because that implies simultaneity and a preferred inertial frame of reference. It also implies (something (info?) traveling superluminally. I’ve always thought you can avoid those issues by having the information travel backwards through time. That way, you can keep the information within the light cones of the 2 measurements. Chances are I’m not the first to think of this.

It's called retrocausality. I wrote a short Insight on it https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/retrocausality/

Atty: That page you linked to says “TIQM is explicitly non-local.” If the confirmation wave travels back to the emitter along the same path as the offer wave, then it stays within the future light cone of the emission event. It also stays within the past light cone of the measurement event. So why is TIQM considered non-local? I was thinking that counterfactual definiteness could be sacrificed in order to maintain locality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transactional_interpretation#Advances_over_previous_interpretations

1. What is the concept of QM interpretation with something moving backward in time?

QM interpretation with something moving backward in time refers to the idea that certain quantum phenomena, such as particle interactions, may appear to be moving in reverse chronological order. This is based on the concept of time symmetry in quantum mechanics, where the laws governing particle interactions are the same regardless of the direction of time.

2. How does this concept differ from the traditional understanding of time in physics?

In traditional physics, time is considered to be a linear and irreversible concept. However, in quantum mechanics, time symmetry allows for the possibility of particles moving backward in time, at least from an observational standpoint. This concept challenges our traditional understanding of time and suggests that it may not be as linear as we once thought.

3. Is there any evidence to support the idea of something moving backward in time in quantum mechanics?

While there is no direct evidence of particles moving backward in time, there have been experiments that suggest a violation of time symmetry in certain quantum systems. For example, the phenomenon of quantum tunneling, where particles can seemingly pass through barriers that they shouldn't be able to, has been interpreted as evidence of time symmetry violation.

4. How does this concept impact our understanding of causality?

The concept of something moving backward in time in quantum mechanics raises questions about causality, as it suggests that the effect may precede the cause in some cases. This challenges our traditional understanding of causality, which states that the cause must always precede the effect. However, it is important to note that this concept is still being studied and has not been fully understood or accepted.

5. Are there any practical applications of this concept in science or technology?

Currently, there are no known practical applications of the concept of something moving backward in time in quantum mechanics. However, the study of time symmetry and the possibility of particles moving backward in time may lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe and technology in the future.