1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM Measurements - probability, expectation value

1. May 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What are the possible results and their probabilities for a system with l=1 in the angular momentum state u = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex](1 1 0)? What is the expectation value?
    ((1 1 0) is a vertical matrix but I can't see how to format that)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]L_{z} = \hbar[/tex](1,0,-1) for l=1 where (1,0,-1) represents the block diagonal... again, not sure how to do matrices on here :rolleyes:

By saying [tex]L_{z}u = \lambda u[/tex] and just comparing I have results for lambda of +1, 0, -1.

I know probability is the modulus of <a|u> squared where a is a corresponding eigenvector... but I'm getting a bit lost somehow. Normally I'm ok with these, but this time I'm just not sure on what to do next.
    Any hints would be greatly appreciated :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume you are asked the possible outcomes and their probabilities for a measurement of [itex]L_z[/itex]? You haven't actually said which observable your measuring in this problem statement.

There are several environments you can use to display matrices and column vector in [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] (see my sig). To see how to generate the following image, just click on it.

[tex]u=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Again, click on the following image:

[tex]L_z=\hbar\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Shouldn't your eigenvalues have units of angular momentum ?:wink:

Well, what are the eigenvectors [itex]|a\rangle[/itex] of [itex]L_z[/itex]?

4. May 23, 2010 #3
    Urgh sorry, yes I meant for a measurement of [itex]L_z[/itex]... Late night :frown:

And yes, I meant 0, [tex]\pm\hbar[/tex].

Right, I think they're [tex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex] for [tex]\lambda=\hbar[/tex], [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex] for [tex]\lambda=0[/tex], and [tex]\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex] for [tex]\lambda=-\hbar[/tex].

Are those right?

5. May 23, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd choose [tex]\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex] for [itex]\lambda=0[/itex], so that your eigenvectors are an orthonormal set.

What does that make the probability of measuring zero for [itex]L_z[/itex]? How about [itex]\hbar[/itex]? And [itex]-\hbar[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook