QM Measurements - probability, expectation value

In summary: I'd choose \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix} for \lambda=0, so that your eigenvectors are an orthonormal set. This gives the probability of measuring zero for L_z as 1/4, and the probability of measuring \hbar as 2.
duckie

Homework Statement

What are the possible results and their probabilities for a system with l=1 in the angular momentum state u = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex](1 1 0)? What is the expectation value?
((1 1 0) is a vertical matrix but I can't see how to format that)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]L_{z} = \hbar[/tex](1,0,-1) for l=1 where (1,0,-1) represents the block diagonal... again, not sure how to do matrices on here :rolleyes:

By saying [tex]L_{z}u = \lambda u[/tex] and just comparing I have results for lambda of +1, 0, -1.

I know probability is the modulus of <a|u> squared where a is a corresponding eigenvector... but I'm getting a bit lost somehow. Normally I'm ok with these, but this time I'm just not sure on what to do next.
Any hints would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
duckie said:

Homework Statement

What are the possible results and their probabilities for a system with l=1 in the angular momentum state u = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex](1 1 0)? What is the expectation value?
((1 1 0) is a vertical matrix but I can't see how to format that)

I assume you are asked the possible outcomes and their probabilities for a measurement of [itex]L_z[/itex]? You haven't actually said which observable your measuring in this problem statement.

There are several environments you can use to display matrices and column vector in [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] (see my sig). To see how to generate the following image, just click on it.

[tex]u=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]L_{z} = \hbar[/tex](1,0,-1) for l=1 where (1,0,-1) represents the block diagonal... again, not sure how to do matrices on here :rolleyes:

Again, click on the following image:

[tex]L_z=\hbar\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

By saying [tex]L_{z}u = \lambda u[/tex] and just comparing I have results for lambda of +1, 0, -1.

Shouldn't your eigenvalues have units of angular momentum ?:wink:

I know probability is the modulus of <a|u> squared where a is a corresponding eigenvector... but I'm getting a bit lost somehow. Normally I'm ok with these, but this time I'm just not sure on what to do next.
Any hints would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Well, what are the eigenvectors [itex]|a\rangle[/itex] of [itex]L_z[/itex]?

gabbagabbahey said:
I assume you are asked the possible outcomes and their probabilities for a measurement of [itex]L_z[/itex]? You haven't actually said which observable your measuring in this problem statement.
Urgh sorry, yes I meant for a measurement of [itex]L_z[/itex]... Late night :frown:

gabbagabbahey said:
Shouldn't your eigenvalues have units of angular momentum ?:wink:
And yes, I meant 0, [tex]\pm\hbar[/tex].

gabbagabbahey said:
Well, what are the eigenvectors [itex]|a\rangle[/itex] of [itex]L_z[/itex]?

Right, I think they're [tex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex] for [tex]\lambda=\hbar[/tex], [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex] for [tex]\lambda=0[/tex], and [tex]\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex] for [tex]\lambda=-\hbar[/tex].

Are those right?

duckie said:
Right, I think they're [tex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex] for [tex]\lambda=\hbar[/tex], [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex] for [tex]\lambda=0[/tex], and [tex]\begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex] for [tex]\lambda=-\hbar[/tex].

Are those right?

I'd choose [tex]\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex] for [itex]\lambda=0[/itex], so that your eigenvectors are an orthonormal set.

What does that make the probability of measuring zero for [itex]L_z[/itex]? How about [itex]\hbar[/itex]? And [itex]-\hbar[/itex]?

The possible results for the system with l=1 in the angular momentum state u = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1,1,0) are +\hbar, 0, and -\hbar, with respective probabilities of 1/2, 0, and 1/2. This can be determined by calculating the expectation value, which is the average of all possible results weighted by their respective probabilities. In this case, the expectation value is 0, as the probabilities of +\hbar and -\hbar are equal.

To find the expectation value, we can use the formula <u|L_{z}|u>, where L_{z} is the angular momentum operator and u is the state vector. Substituting in the values, we get:

<u|L_{z}|u> = \frac{1}{2}(1,1,0)|\hbar(1,0,-1) = \frac{\hbar}{2}(1,1,0)|(1,0,-1) = \frac{\hbar}{2}(1,0,-1)\cdot(1,1,0) = 0

Therefore, the expectation value is 0, indicating that the system has an equal chance of measuring +\hbar or -\hbar.

It is important to note that the probabilities and expectation value can only be calculated for observable quantities. In this case, the observable quantity is the angular momentum along the z-axis, represented by L_{z}. The state vector u represents the possible states of the system, and the eigenvalues of the operator L_{z} represent the possible outcomes of a measurement.

In summary, the possible results and their probabilities for the system with l=1 in the angular momentum state u = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(1,1,0) are +\hbar (with a probability of 1/2), 0 (with a probability of 0), and -\hbar (with a probability of 1/2). The expectation value for this system is 0.

FAQ: QM Measurements - probability, expectation value

1. What is the relationship between probability and expectation value in quantum mechanics?

The probability of measuring a particular value for a given quantum observable is related to the expectation value of that observable. The expectation value is the average value of the observable over many measurements, weighted by the probability of obtaining each value. In other words, the probability of measuring a certain value is directly proportional to the likelihood of obtaining that value in a large number of measurements.

2. How is the uncertainty principle related to quantum measurements?

The uncertainty principle states that certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, cannot be simultaneously known to arbitrary precision. This is due to the inherent uncertainty in quantum measurements, as the act of measuring one property will necessarily disturb the other. In other words, the more precisely we know one property, the less precisely we can know the other.

3. Can the outcome of a quantum measurement be predicted?

No, the outcome of a quantum measurement cannot be predicted with certainty. According to quantum mechanics, the outcome of a measurement is probabilistic and cannot be determined beforehand. The best we can do is calculate the probability of obtaining a certain result, based on the properties of the system and the measurement being performed.

4. How do multiple measurements affect the probability and expectation value?

Multiple measurements of the same quantum observable will have the same expectation value, but the probabilities of obtaining different values may change. As more measurements are performed, the probability distribution becomes more concentrated around the expectation value, meaning that the likelihood of obtaining other values decreases. However, each individual measurement is still subject to the inherent uncertainty in quantum measurements.

5. Can the wave function collapse be observed in quantum measurements?

No, the wave function collapse is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics and cannot be directly observed in measurements. The collapse occurs when a quantum system is observed and its state is determined with certainty, but this process is not observable in itself. Instead, we can only observe the end result of the collapse, which is the measurement outcome and the corresponding probability distribution.

Back