1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM: More Spherical Harmonics

1. Feb 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A system's wavefunction is proportional to sin^2p. What are the possible results of measurements of Lz and L^2? Give the probabilities of each possible outcome.

I'm using p for theta and q for phi.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I believe that the value of L^2 is 6 (as l is 2), and the possible values of Lz are -2 and +2. But I can't find the probabilities. I tried:

|psi> = a|2,2> + b|2,-2>

where the kets are |l,m> and the spherical harmonice are Y(l,m)

<2,2|psi> = int dpdq <2,2|p,q><p,q|psi>
    <2,2|psi> = int dpdq Y(2,2)* [aY(2,2) + bY(2,-2)]

And then inserted the spherical harmonic expressions in, but I just get a=a, so I guess this isn't the way.

I also thought about using the ladder operators, applying L+|psi> = 2a|2, -1> but I don't think this is helpful.

Any help wouldbe much appreciated!!

EDIT: Another thing I tried was saying Lz|l,m>=m|l,m>. So I thought if I had a matrix representation of Lz, I could maybe have

Lz (a*, b*) = 2(a*, -b*)

Where ( , ) is a column matrix. But I don't know the matrix representation of Lz or what basis it should be in. Please help!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the wavefunction has NO phi dependence?

4. Feb 16, 2009 #3
    Yeah that was my first reaction. But I don't think it is possible to have no phi dependence and be proportional to sin^2, so I assumed that it meant it was proportional to sin^2 as well as some function of phi. I may be wrong though?

5. Feb 17, 2009 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The spherical harmonics are basis functions for angular functions, so one should be able to find a linear combination of them to build up sin^2 theta.

Now if I give you this hint, you should be able to do it.

[tex]-3\sin ^2 \theta +2 = 3\cos ^2 \theta - 1[/tex]

Also recall that one of the S. harm's does not depend on any angle at all.

6. Feb 17, 2009 #5
    Ahhhh I forgot about that one.

I see now, I just need Y(2,0) and then need to subtract an amount of Y(0,0) to get rid of the constant, and normalise.

Thank you!!!

7. Feb 17, 2009 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

correct observation :-)

Good luck

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook