1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

QM: Normalizing a wave function

1. Aug 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

I have a wave function given by

[tex] \Psi \left( {x,0} \right) = A\frac{x}{a}[/tex]

I have to normalize it, which is OK. But in the solution to this problem, the teacher uses |A|2 when squaring A. Is there any particular reason for this? I mean, if you square the constant, then why bother with the signs?

I thought that it maybe because A is a complex constant, but still - I cannot see what difference it would make taking the absolute value of A before squaring.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If A is not real, then |A|2 and A2 are different. Allowing for A to be complex is the only reason I can think of for including the absolute value signs.

4. Aug 20, 2008 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For complex numbers, |z|^2 is not the same as z^2. Suppose z = 1 + i. Then |z| = sqrt(2), so |z|^2 = 2. But z^2 = 1 + 2i + i^2 = 2i. |z|^2 always gives a nonnegative real number, which is required to interpret the wave function as a probability density.

5. Aug 20, 2008 #4
    Great, thanks to both of you.

6. Aug 27, 2008 #5
    I have another question related to this.

When I find the constant A, then am I finding the complex number A or the modulus of the complex number A, |A|?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  7. Aug 27, 2008 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's |A|.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?