QM probability and normal distribution

In summary, the relationship between QM probability and normal distribution is that the probability of a given result (e.g. spin up or spin down) is proportional to the normal distribution function at the point in time when the result is measured.
forcefield
Is there a relationship between QM probability and normal distribution ?

I'm thinking about drawing probability densities as functions of phase.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can find things that follow a normal distribution in QM, but I would not call this "relationship between QM and normal distribution" in the same way I don't see a "relationship between the normal distribution and the number 3".

mfb said:
You can find things that follow a normal distribution in QM, but I would not call this "relationship between QM and normal distribution" in the same way I don't see a "relationship between the normal distribution and the number 3".

You dropped out an essential word which was "probability". I'm looking for a mathematical relationship to calculate QM probabilities from probability densities.

Probability densitites are used in quantum mechanics, but quantum mechanics is more than pure probability theory.

mfb said:
quantum mechanics is more than pure probability theory.

That's why I said QM probability.

Hi Forcefield, I'm really not at all sure what you're trying to get at here.

The probability function you get depends on what observable you're trying to measure - and the state of the system. Suppose we prepared a single qubit (a spin-1/2 particle say) in an eigenstate of the spin-z operator, and let's suppose we prepared the spin up state. Then, assuming ideal measurements, the probability of getting spin up in a measurement of spin-z is 1, and the probability of getting spin down is 0. Not really very Gaussian :-)

Now suppose we measure spin-x, then the probability of getting a spin up result is now 1/2 and the probability of getting a spin down result is 1/2. A uniformly random distribution.

Let's take some more examples - if we have a coherent state of light and make a measurement of photon number - then we'll get a Poisson distribution (in many runs of the same experiments, of course). Measurement of the field quadrature operator of the same coherent state will give us a Gaussian (if I recall correctly). Take a photon number state of the EM field and measure it's phase - you'll get a uniformly random distribution.

So the probabilities depend crucially on what property we're choosing to measure and what state the system is in.

Could you perhaps be a bit more specific because your question doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Hi Simon,

Simon Phoenix said:
Then, assuming ideal measurements, the probability of getting spin up in a measurement of spin-z is 1, and the probability of getting spin down is 0. Not really very Gaussian :-)

Actually I think it is Gaussian but the variance is zero.

Simon Phoenix said:
Now suppose we measure spin-x, then the probability of getting a spin up result is now 1/2 and the probability of getting a spin down result is 1/2. A uniformly random distribution.

I think that makes it Gaussian too just like throwing coins. It is just difficult to see because there are only two options.

Simon Phoenix said:
Let's take some more examples - if we have a coherent state of light and make a measurement of photon number - then we'll get a Poisson distribution (in many runs of the same experiments, of course). Measurement of the field quadrature operator of the same coherent state will give us a Gaussian (if I recall correctly). Take a photon number state of the EM field and measure it's phase - you'll get a uniformly random distribution.

I have only a vague idea what you are talking about here. Remember I marked this thread high school level.

Simon Phoenix said:
Could you perhaps be a bit more specific because your question doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

You know there is this so called phase that you can throw away when you calculate probabilities in QM. I am thinking about whether it is possible to calculate QM probabilities by assuming that the measurement probability changes like normal distribution as time goes by.

forcefield said:
I am thinking about whether it is possible to calculate QM probabilities by assuming that the measurement probability changes like normal distribution as time goes by.
Given ##\psi(x,t)##, you want ##|\psi(x,t)|^2## at fixed position ##x=x_0## to follow Gaussian profile with time, is that what you mean?

forcefield said:
You know there is this so called phase that you can throw away when you calculate probabilities in QM

You're talking here about a global phase factor - you certainly can't ignore the relative phases between terms in a superposition when calculating probabilities. Recall that to calculate a probability in QM we're taking the square modulus of sums of complex numbers.

forcefield said:
I think that makes it Gaussian too just like throwing coins

Well only in the sense that for sufficiently large numbers of trials then the Gaussian is a good approximation to the binomial (I think the rule of thumb is that np ≥ 5 where n is the number of trials and p is the probability)

forcefield said:
You know there is this so called phase that you can throw away when you calculate probabilities in QM.
Only phases in the basis where you want to calculate the probabilities, at the time when you want to calculate them.
forcefield said:
I am thinking about whether it is possible to calculate QM probabilities by assuming that the measurement probability changes like normal distribution as time goes by.
No.

blue_leaf77 said:
Given ##\psi(x,t)##, you want ##|\psi(x,t)|^2## at fixed position ##x=x_0## to follow Gaussian profile with time, is that what you mean?
No, I'm not considering wave functions. Actually I haven't studied them seriously yet.

Simon Phoenix said:
You're talking here about a global phase factor - you certainly can't ignore the relative phases between terms in a superposition when calculating probabilities. Recall that to calculate a probability in QM we're taking the square modulus of sums of complex numbers.
Yes, I thought about that and it looks like a relative phase of pi/2 is required.

The relative phase in a superposition can be everything (well, as it is a phase, it is usually restricted to the range from 0 to 2pi).

forcefield said:
No, I'm not considering wave functions. Actually I haven't studied them seriously yet.
The only entity which connects QM with probabilistic interpretation is the wavefunction.

mfb said:
The relative phase in a superposition can be everything (well, as it is a phase, it is usually restricted to the range from 0 to 2pi).
I think one should consider a period of π here.

forcefield said:
I think one should consider a period of π here.
That does not make sense.

mfb said:
That does not make sense.
Yes, I was sloppy there. The length of the period doesn't really matter but if you look at the shape of normal distribution it is more like half-circle than full-circle.

forcefield said:
Yes, I was sloppy there. The length of the period doesn't really matter but if you look at the shape of normal distribution it is more like half-circle than full-circle.
Sorry, but that made even less sense.

1. What is QM probability?

QM probability, also known as quantum probability, is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the likelihood of a particular outcome or observation in a quantum system. It is based on the principles of superposition and uncertainty, and is often represented by a wave function.

2. How is QM probability different from classical probability?

QM probability differs from classical probability in that it allows for the possibility of multiple outcomes occurring simultaneously, rather than just one. It also takes into account the wave-like behavior of particles at the quantum level, which is not present in classical systems.

3. What is the normal distribution?

The normal distribution, also known as the Gaussian distribution, is a probability distribution that is commonly seen in natural phenomena. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve, with the majority of data points falling near the mean and fewer points further away from the mean. The normal distribution is often used to model random variables in statistics and is an important concept in QM probability.

4. How does the normal distribution relate to QM probability?

The normal distribution is a key tool in QM probability because it allows for the prediction of outcomes in quantum systems. This is because the wave function, which represents the probability of finding a particle at a specific location, can be described by a normal distribution. This allows scientists to make predictions about the likelihood of a particle being in a certain location or having a certain energy level.

5. Can the normal distribution be used in all quantum systems?

No, the normal distribution is not applicable to all quantum systems. It is most commonly used in systems that exhibit wave-like behavior, such as photons and electrons. Other quantum systems, such as those involving spin states, may require different mathematical models to describe their probabilities. It is important for scientists to carefully consider the specific characteristics of a quantum system when using the normal distribution to make predictions.