[QM] Time dependent operator

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian operator for a particle, denoted by H, which has a mass m>0 and a potential energy operator u(\vec{Q})=\lambda_0 (Q_x^2+Q_y^2). It is known that [Q_\alpha, m V_\beta]=i \delta_{\alpha \beta}. The problem asks to show that if A_\alpha= \frac{d V_\alpha^{(t)}}{d t}, then mA_\alpha = -\frac{\partial u(\vec{Q})}{\partial x_\alpha}. The attempt at a solution involves using the time dependence of an operator and the Heisenberg Equation of Motion for operators in the
Mathitalian

Homework Statement

Let
[tex]H= \frac{1}{2}m(V_x^2+V_y^2+V_z^2)+u(\vec{Q})[/tex]
be the hamiltonian operator for a particle which has mass m>0 with
[tex]u(\vec{Q})=\lambda_0 (Q_x^2+ Q_y^2)[/tex].
Knowing that
[tex][Q_\alpha, m V_\beta]=i \delta_{\alpha \beta}[/tex].
Show that If
[tex]\displaystyle A_\alpha= \frac{d V_\alpha^{(t)}}{d t}[/tex]
then
[tex]\displaystyle mA_\alpha = -\frac{\partial u(\vec{Q})}{\partial x_\alpha}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Note that
Q is position operator, V is velocity operator, A is acceleration operator
[tex][A_1, A_2]= A_1 A_2-A_2 A_1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is equivalent to show that [tex]A_\alpha= -\frac{\partial u(\vec{Q})}{m\partial x_\alpha}[/tex], but it is difficult to me, because of time dependent operator [tex]V_{\alpha}^{(t)}[/tex].
I think that the relation [tex]V_{\alpha}^{(t)}= i U_{t}^{-1}[H, V_{\alpha}]U_t[/tex] is useful. Now
[tex][H, V_\alpha]= [u(\vec{Q}), V_\alpha]= [\lambda_0 (Q_x^2+ Q_y^2), V_\alpha]=\frac{\lambda_0}{m}(2 i (\delta_{\alpha, x}Q_x+ \delta_{\alpha, y}Q_y))= i \frac{\partial u(\vec{Q})}{m x_{\alpha}} [/tex]

So
[tex]V_\alpha^{(t)}=i U_t^{-1}[H, V_\alpha]U_t = - U_t^{-1} \frac{\partial u(\vec{Q})}{m x_\alpha}U_t[/tex].
Now I'm stuck. Any helps will be appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry for mistakes in english language. I'm italian :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathitalian said:
I think that the relation [tex]V_{\alpha}^{(t)}= i U_{t}^{-1}[H, V_{\alpha}]U_t[/tex] is useful.

This is not correct. I think you are mixing together two different relations. One is the time dependence of an operator in the Heisenberg picture:

[tex]V_a(t)=U^{-1}V_aU[/tex]

where U is the time translation operator.

The other relation is the Heisenberg Equation of Motion for operators in the Heisenberg picture:

[tex]\frac{dV_a(t)}{dt}=\frac{1}{i\hbar}[H,V_a(t)][/tex]

from which we can find an "expectation value equation of motion:"

[tex]\frac{d<V_a(t)>}{dt}=\frac{1}{i\hbar}<[H,V_a(t)]>[/tex]

You are essentially being asked to show that the quantum expectation values obey equations similar in form to their classical variable counterparts.

You should be able to get to the result directly if you start from the third equation in this post.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm so sorry for this terrible mistake. You're right. To tell the truth, when I posted the question, it was night in Italy.

My intent was to use
[tex]
\frac{dV_\alpha^{(t)}}{d t}=i U_t^{-1}[H, V_\alpha]U_t = - U_t^{-1} \frac{\partial u(\vec{Q})}{m\partial x_\alpha}U_t
[/tex]

Now, from
[tex]i U_t^{-1}[H, V_\alpha]U_t = - U_t^{-1} \frac{\partial u(\vec{Q})}{m \partial x_\alpha}U_t[/tex]

How can i complete the proof? Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Bring the U operators inside the derivative (they do not depend on x). Then remember that the Hamiltonian, and thus the potential energy operator, is time independent.

Last edited:
G01 said:
Bring the U operators inside the derivative (they do not depend on x). Then remember that the Hamiltonian, and thus the potential energy operator, is time independent.

I'm not so good in physics, so forgive me if I'm going to say something stupid..

From your word, can i conclude that
[tex]\displaystyle\left[U_t, \frac{\partial u(\vec{Q})}{m \partial x_\alpha}\right]=O[/tex]
i.e. the operators commute?

Yes. And what does that then imply?

[tex]\displaystyle\left[U_t, \frac{\partial u(\vec{Q})}{m \partial x_\alpha}\right]=O\implies U_t\frac{\partial u(\vec{Q})}{m \partial x_\alpha}=\frac{\partial u(\vec{Q})}{m \partial x_\alpha} U_t
[/tex]
then
[tex]- U_t^{-1} \frac{\partial u(\vec{Q})}{m\partial x_\alpha}U_t = - U_t^{-1} U_t\frac{\partial u(\vec{Q})}{m\partial x_\alpha}= -\frac{\partial u(\vec{Q})}{m\partial x_\alpha}[/tex]
as we want.

I think it is ok now, right?

Thanks a ton

Yes, you got it. You're welcome. :smile:

1. What is a time-dependent operator in quantum mechanics?

A time-dependent operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical representation of an observable physical quantity that changes with time. It is used to describe the evolution of a quantum system over time.

2. How does a time-dependent operator differ from a time-independent operator?

A time-dependent operator takes into account the changes in a quantum system over time, while a time-independent operator assumes that the system remains constant. In other words, a time-dependent operator considers the time evolution of a system, while a time-independent operator does not.

3. What is the role of time-dependent operators in the Schrödinger equation?

Time-dependent operators play a crucial role in the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics. They appear in the time-dependent version of the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system.

4. How are time-dependent operators used in practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Time-dependent operators are used in various practical applications of quantum mechanics, such as in quantum computing, quantum chemistry, and quantum information processing. They are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems.

5. Can time-dependent operators be measured in experiments?

Yes, time-dependent operators can be measured in experiments. However, the measurement of a time-dependent operator is more challenging than that of a time-independent operator, as it requires precise control and measurement of the system at different points in time.