1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadratic forms under constraints

1. Feb 28, 2016 #1
    • Member warned about posting with no effort shown
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the minimum value of ## x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2## subject to the constraint:
    ## q(x_1,x_2,x_3)=7x_1^2+3x_2^2+7x_3^2+2x_1x_2+4x_2x_3=1 ##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not really sure how to think about it. I have seen the opposite way but have not seen this type of question yet. Any guidance will be very helpful.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean by "the opposite way"?

4. Feb 28, 2016 #3
    I mean something like "find the max/min of ## q(x_1,x_2,x_3)=7x_1^2+3x_2^2+7x_3^2+2x_1x_2+4x_2x_3## under the constraint ## x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2=1##"
    I know how to solve this type of questions. This is the opposite way(maybe "way" is not a good word here)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  5. Feb 28, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How would you solve the "opposite way" problem? And why does that method not work in the present case?

6. Feb 28, 2016 #5
    Because there is a theorem that says that at the unit sphere(## x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2=1##) the max/min of the equation is at the max/min of the eigenvalues of the form. I cannot use it here.

7. Feb 28, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you can.

You can change variables to ##u_i = U_i(x_1,x_2,x_3)## for ##i = 1,2,3##, where the ##U_i## are linear functions of the ##x_j##, devised so that your ##q(x_1,x_2,x_3)## has the form ##u_1^2 + u_2^2 + u_3^2##. Then, if you reverse the transformations to get ##x_i = X_i(u_1,u_2,u_3)##, the functions ##X_i## will be linear in the ##u_j##, and so ##f(x_1,x_2,x_3) = x_1^2 + x_2^2 + x_3^2## will be quadratic in the ##u_j##. That problem will be exactly of the type you can solve already.

However, I don't know why you would ever want to do this; it is much easier to just solve the problem directly using the Lagrange multiplier method.

8. Feb 28, 2016 #7
    Thank you for the answer. I am not sure that I got it 100% but I will work on it.
    This is a question from a past exam in linear algebra. The subject of Lagrange multiplier is not covered in this course. I am not sure if I want to start talking about the course. I have a lot of bad things to say...

By the way, now I understand the reason why I couldn't find any explanation or notes about something similar to that...

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it!

Thomas

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted