Quadratic forms under constraints

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear algebra problem involving finding the minimum value of a quadratic equation subject to a constraint. The person is unsure how to approach it and mentions a related problem that they know how to solve, but cannot use for this particular problem. It is suggested to use a change of variables and the Lagrange multiplier method. The person expresses frustration with the lack of coverage of these topics in their course.
mr.tea
Member warned about posting with no effort shown

Homework Statement

Find the minimum value of ## x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2## subject to the constraint:
## q(x_1,x_2,x_3)=7x_1^2+3x_2^2+7x_3^2+2x_1x_2+4x_2x_3=1 ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure how to think about it. I have seen the opposite way but have not seen this type of question yet. Any guidance will be very helpful.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
mr.tea said:

Homework Statement

Find the minimum value of ## x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2## subject to the constraint:
## q(x_1,x_2,x_3)=7x_1^2+3x_2^2+7x_3^2+2x_1x_2+4x_2x_3=1 ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure how to think about it. I have seen the opposite way but have not seen this type of question yet. Any guidance will be very helpful.

Thank you.

What do you mean by "the opposite way"?

Ray Vickson said:
What do you mean by "the opposite way"?

I mean something like "find the max/min of ## q(x_1,x_2,x_3)=7x_1^2+3x_2^2+7x_3^2+2x_1x_2+4x_2x_3## under the constraint ## x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2=1##"
I know how to solve this type of questions. This is the opposite way(maybe "way" is not a good word here)

Last edited:
mr.tea said:
I mean something like "find the max/min of ## q(x_1,x_2,x_3)=7x_1^2+3x_2^2+7x_3^2+2x_1x_2+4x_2x_3## under the constraint ## x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2=1##"
I know how to solve this type of questions. This is the opposite way(maybe "way" is not a good word here)
How would you solve the "opposite way" problem? And why does that method not work in the present case?

Samy_A said:
How would you solve the "opposite way" problem? And why does that method not work in the present case?
Because there is a theorem that says that at the unit sphere(## x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2=1##) the max/min of the equation is at the max/min of the eigenvalues of the form. I cannot use it here.

mr.tea said:
Because there is a theorem that says that at the unit sphere(## x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2=1##) the max/min of the equation is at the max/min of the eigenvalues of the form. I cannot use it here.

Yes, you can.

You can change variables to ##u_i = U_i(x_1,x_2,x_3)## for ##i = 1,2,3##, where the ##U_i## are linear functions of the ##x_j##, devised so that your ##q(x_1,x_2,x_3)## has the form ##u_1^2 + u_2^2 + u_3^2##. Then, if you reverse the transformations to get ##x_i = X_i(u_1,u_2,u_3)##, the functions ##X_i## will be linear in the ##u_j##, and so ##f(x_1,x_2,x_3) = x_1^2 + x_2^2 + x_3^2## will be quadratic in the ##u_j##. That problem will be exactly of the type you can solve already.

However, I don't know why you would ever want to do this; it is much easier to just solve the problem directly using the Lagrange multiplier method.

Likes mr.tea and Samy_A
Ray Vickson said:
Yes, you can.

You can change variables to ##u_i = U_i(x_1,x_2,x_3)## for ##i = 1,2,3##, where the ##U_i## are linear functions of the ##x_j##, devised so that your ##q(x_1,x_2,x_3)## has the form ##u_1^2 + u_2^2 + u_3^2##. Then, if you reverse the transformations to get ##x_i = X_i(u_1,u_2,u_3)##, the functions ##X_i## will be linear in the ##u_j##, and so ##f(x_1,x_2,x_3) = x_1^2 + x_2^2 + x_3^2## will be quadratic in the ##u_j##. That problem will be exactly of the type you can solve already.

However, I don't know why you would ever want to do this; it is much easier to just solve the problem directly using the Lagrange multiplier method.
Thank you for the answer. I am not sure that I got it 100% but I will work on it.
This is a question from a past exam in linear algebra. The subject of Lagrange multiplier is not covered in this course. I am not sure if I want to start talking about the course. I have a lot of bad things to say...

By the way, now I understand the reason why I couldn't find any explanation or notes about something similar to that...

Thank you for the help, I appreciate it!

Thomas

Last edited:

1. What is a quadratic form under constraints?

A quadratic form under constraints is a mathematical expression that represents a quadratic function with certain limitations or conditions. These constraints can be in the form of equations, inequalities, or other restrictions.

2. What are some examples of quadratic forms under constraints?

Some examples of quadratic forms under constraints include optimization problems, where the quadratic expression is subject to certain constraints such as a limited budget or resources. They can also be found in physics and engineering, where the quadratic function represents the energy or force of a system under certain constraints.

3. How are quadratic forms under constraints solved?

The process of solving a quadratic form under constraints involves using mathematical techniques such as Lagrange multipliers, substitution, or graphing to find the maximum or minimum value of the quadratic function while satisfying the given constraints.

4. What is the importance of studying quadratic forms under constraints?

Quadratic forms under constraints are essential in many fields of study, including mathematics, physics, engineering, and economics. They provide a way to model real-world problems and find optimal solutions while considering limitations and restrictions.

5. Are there any real-world applications of quadratic forms under constraints?

Yes, there are numerous real-world applications of quadratic forms under constraints. These include optimal resource allocation, portfolio optimization, and modeling physical systems such as bridges and buildings. They are also used in machine learning algorithms and financial modeling.