Quadratic Stark Effect: Field Strength Calc.

In summary, the electric field needed to shift the rubidium D1 line by 0.001 nm would have to be positive.
Matt atkinson

Homework Statement

A Stark effect experiment is performed on the rubidium D1 line ##(5p \ {}^2P_{1/2} →
5s \ {}^2S_{1/2})## at 780.023 nm. Given that the polarizabilities of the ##5p \ {}^2P_{1/2}## and ##5s \ {}^2S_{1/2}## levels are ##6.86 × 10^{−16}## and ##2.78 × 10^{−16} cm−1 m^2 V^{−2}## , respectively, deduce the field strength that would have to be applied to shift the wavelength by 0.001 nm, stating
whether the wavelength shift would be positive or negative.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know that basically; ##\vec{p}=\alpha \vec{E}##
and so ##\Delta \epsilon=-\frac{1}{2}\alpha E^2## by integrating from ##E=0## to ##E=E##.
I know that both levels shift by an amount proportional to their polarization but, I am just completely stuck on how to go about solving it.
I drew a diagram and understand the process i think, just when i go about solving it I end up with stupid answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matt atkinson said:
I drew a diagram and understand the process i think, just when i go about solving it I end up with stupid answers.
Please show what you did then, so we can see what went wrong.

Okay, here's what I was trying to do;
So both levels the ##{}^2P_{1/2}## and the ##{}^2S_{1/2}## would be shifted by an applied electric field.
If that shift was equal to;
##\Delta \epsilon_1=-\frac{1}{2}\alpha_1E^2##
and
##\Delta \epsilon_2=-\frac{1}{2}\alpha_2E^2##
for the P and S state respectively.
The photon in the transistion given off then has a shift of ##0.001nm## so I did
##\frac{hc}{\lambda }=\frac{hc}{(780.023nm)}+(\Delta \epsilon_1 +\Delta \epsilon_2)=\frac{hc}{(780.023nm)\pm (0.001nm)}##
This is as far as i got, I was wondering if I can use a ##+## for the shift because the polarizabilities are positive, but I am not sure.

Why do you add the two energy shifts?

You can plug in the formulas and solve for E. One sign for the shift will give a solution, one will not.

I added the two shifts because they would shift the total energy also, or do you mean why is it a plus? I suppose it should be a ##\pm## right?

Your photon comes from the transition between the two states. If you know the energies E1 and E2 (let's say E1>E2), what is the energy of the transition? What changes if you increase E1 by some value X and E2 by a different value Y?

Oh right, so as before ##\Delta E=E_2 - E_1## then after shift ##\Delta E'=(E_2 + Y) - (E_1 +X)##.

So in the case above id have;
##\frac{hc}{780.023nm}+\Delta\epsilon_2 - \Delta\epsilon_1=\frac{hc}{(780.023nm)\pm(0.001nm)}##
and so
##\frac{hc}{780.023nm}-\frac{1}{2}\alpha_2E^2+ \frac{1}{2}\alpha_1E^2=\frac{hc}{(780.023nm)\pm(0.001nm)}##
and then solve for E, and like you mentioned previously one either the plus or minus will give a solution.

Which would have to be the positive shift because its energy needs to be greater so the solution isn't complex.
Thankyou!

I got;

##E=\sqrt(2(\frac{hc}{(780.023nm)\pm(0.001nm)}-\frac{hc}{780.023nm})*(\alpha_1-\alpha_2)^{-1})##

This would only work for a "-" wavelength shift uhm.

Last edited:
Check the signs. the higher energy level gets a larger shift downwards.

##\alpha_1## is for the higher energy level with a larger polarization factor, which means with my equation now, if i swapped any signs wouldn't it mean that the answer would be complex?

No, it means you have to reconsider the sign of the wavelength shift after you fixed the energy shift.

Oh i see, to the signs of the alpha would be the other way round, which would make it a positive wavelength shift.

1. What is the Quadratic Stark Effect?

The Quadratic Stark Effect is a phenomenon in which the energy levels of an atom or molecule are shifted due to the presence of an external electric field. This effect is observed in systems with permanent electric dipole moments, and the energy shift is proportional to the square of the electric field strength.

2. How is the field strength calculated for the Quadratic Stark Effect?

The field strength for the Quadratic Stark Effect can be calculated using the formula E = αE_0^2, where E is the energy shift, α is the polarizability of the atom or molecule, and E_0 is the strength of the external electric field. This formula is based on the assumption that the electric field is weak enough to be treated as a perturbation.

3. What factors influence the strength of the Quadratic Stark Effect?

The strength of the Quadratic Stark Effect is influenced by several factors, including the polarizability of the atom or molecule, the strength and direction of the external electric field, and the energy level structure of the system. Additionally, the presence of other nearby electric fields or charged particles can also affect the strength of the effect.

4. How is the Quadratic Stark Effect used in scientific research?

The Quadratic Stark Effect is used in a variety of scientific research fields, including atomic and molecular physics, quantum chemistry, and astrophysics. It is often used to study the structure and properties of atoms and molecules, and can provide valuable information about the electric dipole moments and energy levels of these systems.

5. Can the Quadratic Stark Effect be observed in everyday life?

The effects of the Quadratic Stark Effect are generally too small to be observed in everyday life. However, the principles behind this phenomenon are used in various technologies, such as atomic clocks and laser spectroscopy, which have practical applications in areas such as navigation and telecommunications.