When is a quadratic function more efficient than a linear function?

In summary, to find out when a quadratic function is greater than a linear function for the same values of x, you can set the functions equal to each other and solve for x. For values smaller than the solution, the linear function is greater, and for values larger than the solution, the quadratic function is greater. You can also simplify the inequality f(x) < g(x) to determine the region where the linear function is smaller than the quadratic function.
quicksilver123
Mod note: Changed thread title from "exponential vs linear function" to "quadratic vs linear function.
basic question, won't give the full question as i don't need it solved for me, but rather need a conceptual overview of HOW to solve so i can do it myself

given two functions
A f(n)= c * n
B f(n)= c * n^2

i need to figure out when equation b is greater than equation a for the same values of n (when it is more efficent)

i tried some simple things that got me nowhere and i need some help

i found the point of intersection of the two functions but that doesn't help as the exponential function still grows faster

i tried differentiating and finding when the rate of change is equal (for n), that value was 40500
i'm not sure how that helps me

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
quicksilver123 said:
basic question, won't give the full question as i don't need it solved for me, but rather need a conceptual overview of HOW to solve so i can do it myself

given two functions
A f(n)= c * n
B f(n)= c * n^2

i need to figure out when equation b is greater than equation a for the same values of n (when it is more efficent)

i found the point of intersection of the two functions but that doesn't help as the exponential function still grows faster

i tried differentiating and finding when the rate of change is equal (for n), that value was 40500

I don't see an exponential function?

i meant function B, where the degree of the function =2

sorry if i said that wrong

i assumed this would be a precalc question, if I'm incorrect in that regard, please move this to the appropriate subforum

Well, define:

f(n) = cn
g(n) =cn²

You can use: f>g <=> f-g>0
I think you should be able to continue now on your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
quicksilver123 said:
Mod note: Changed thread title from "exponential vs linear function" to "quadratic vs linear function.

given two functions
A f(n)= c * n
B f(n)= c * n^2

As already noted by another member, neither of these function is an exponential function. The second function is a quadratic function. BTW, you shouldn't give both functions the same name: f.
quicksilver123 said:
The graphs of the two functions intersect at (1, c). The slope of the first function is always c. The slope of the second function is 2cn, so that should give you an idea of how the graphs are different.
quicksilver123 said:
I don't see how 40500 plays a role here at all. You don't need concepts from calculus to answer your question. Just a graph of the two functions would give you an idea of where cn2 > cn.

ok i done goofed
here's a different and more accurate set of functions

f(x)=0.002n^2
g(x)=700n

i need to find out when g(x) is larger than f(x) for identical values of xi tried to be intentionally vague to avoid having the question outright answered but i didn't state things properly. my bad.

quicksilver123 said:
ok i done goofed

f(x)=0.002n^2
g(x)=700n

i need to find out when g(x) is larger than f(x) for identical values of x

i tried to be intentionally vague to avoid having the question outright answered but i didn't state things properly. my bad.
I suppose you mean:
f(x)=0.002x2
g(x)=700x

quicksilver123 said:
ok i done goofed

f(x)=0.002n^2
g(x)=700n

i need to find out when g(x) is larger than f(x) for identical values of xi tried to be intentionally vague to avoid having the question outright answered but i didn't state things properly. my bad.

1) g(x) is a function in x. This implies that what you have written is a constant function. Probably, you meant g(n)
2) In the original question, you did not mention that the c in f(n) and g(n) were different.

Now, let's get started.

We have 2 continuous functions f and g.

You want to know the n values of f(n) and g(n) for which: f(n) > g(n)

Thus: f(n) > g(n) <=> f(n) -g(n) > 0
Try to use this.

It's when g(n) is bigger than f(n), so when the linear is bigger than the quadratic, the linear has a greater c value.

I can use the above method for trial and error but I was wondering if there was a method to generate an exact value of x at which g(x) is greater than f(x).
Hence my misguided attempt to find the derivative. Please ignore the values of the derivative that I have in my first post.

If I was to grind it out via trial and error there would be no method and thus no reason for my thread.

Sorry if my previous sounded ungrateful, I just want to know how to compute this without using trial and error in order to learn something.

You can solve f(x)=g(x) for x. For values smaller than that, the linear function is larger, for values larger than that the quadratic function is larger (assuming both have a positive coefficient).

Alternatively, simplify f(x)<g(x) to get the region where f(x) is smaller than g(x) - nearly the same calculation, but needs more care in some aspects.

:smile::cool:Great reply, thanks :)

quicksilver123 said:
It's when g(n) is bigger than f(n), so when the linear is bigger than the quadratic, the linear has a greater c value.

I can use the above method for trial and error but I was wondering if there was a method to generate an exact value of x at which g(x) is greater than f(x).
Hence my misguided attempt to find the derivative. Please ignore the values of the derivative that I have in my first post.

If I was to grind it out via trial and error there would be no method and thus no reason for my thread.
Actually, trial and error is a method. In this case, it might be good as a method for showing how some other methods work. However, ...

In post #5, @Math_QED gave the following suggestion.
Math_QED said:

Thus: f(n) > g(n) <=> f(n) -g(n) > 0
Try to use this.
That can lead to the answer, even though you have corrected the problem as follows:
quicksilver123 said:
i need to find out when g(x) is larger than f(x) for identical values of x.
So, if g(x) > f(x), then 0 > f(x) - g(x) .

In other words, f(x) - g(x) < 0 .

There are several ways to solve this.

A way I like is to recognize that the function f(x) - g(x) is continuous. So as x increases, f(x) - g(x) Cannot change sign without passing through zero.

So solve for f(x) - g(x) = 0 . Then check at "test points".

By the way: You are at the point of having 100 posts on PF.
  1. Congratulations.
  2. You should learn to use the reply feature so readers know which post you are replying to.
  3. You should learn to use the superscript & subscript features. X2 X2 in the darker blue banner above the message composing box.
  4. Also in that banner the ∑ (Sigma) character will give you access to many useful symbols.

is there a button to quote/reply to a post or do i have to use code?

i'm familiar with using sub/superscript

quicksilver123 said:
is there a button to quote/reply to a post or do i have to use code?

i'm familiar with using sub/superscript
It's in the lower right hand corner of the following image.

upload_2016-5-28_21-20-7.png

quicksilver123 said:

given two functions
A f(n)= c * n
B f(n)= c * n^2

Assuming n≠0 and a(n) = c⋅n; b(n) = c⋅n2, then b(n) > a(n) ⇔ b(n)/a(n) >1. Since b(n)/a(n) = n (continue yourself).

1. What is the main difference between a quadratic and linear function?

A linear function is a polynomial of degree one, meaning it has a constant slope and a straight line graph. A quadratic function is a polynomial of degree two, meaning it has a variable slope and a parabolic graph.

2. How do I know if a function is quadratic or linear?

A function is quadratic if it has a variable raised to the power of two, such as x^2. A function is linear if it has a variable raised to the power of one, such as x.

3. What are the real life applications of quadratic and linear functions?

Linear functions are commonly used to represent rates of change, such as speed or growth. Quadratic functions are used to model real-world phenomena such as projectile motion and the shape of a parabolic mirror.

4. Can a quadratic function ever be linear?

No, a quadratic function can never be linear. The degree of a quadratic function is always two, while the degree of a linear function is always one. This means that the graph of a quadratic function will always have a curve, while the graph of a linear function will always be a straight line.

5. What is the importance of understanding the differences between quadratic and linear functions?

Understanding the differences between quadratic and linear functions is important because it allows us to accurately model and analyze real-world situations. It also helps us to solve problems and make predictions about the behavior of various phenomena. Additionally, knowing the differences between these two types of functions is crucial in higher level mathematics and science courses.