• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Testing Quadratics as Important Chapter for SAT Math

Hello,

Recently I viewed a blog post about SAT Math preparation. It stated that quadratics is the chapter which is most asked in SAT, and if I don't master the chapter, I can't answer most SAT problems. IMO, this statement above implied that quadratics (quadratic equation) is the core chapter which must be mastered for SAT, analogous to Values and Norms chapter in Sociology tests.

Is it true that quadratics is the most important subject I have to master for SAT Math?

Cheers, Bagas

I can't say for sure but consider that the SAT is limited in the kinds of questions it can ask and consider that you've probably spent more time than you care to imagine working with quadratics in all kinds of problems.

Putting the two together, it's not hard to see that quadratics fit nicely with multiple choice questions and are used in many places in high school math ala:
- factoring methods,
- quadratic formula
- multiplying,
- finding roots,
- plotting them,
- solving area problems given the area and some description of the sides in terms of x,
- the Pascal triangle relationship,
- differentiation of quadratics if you've had calculus,
- quadratics and trig functions
- quadratics and complex numbers...

Here's some discussion on them:

I can't say for sure but consider that the SAT is limited in the kinds of questions it can ask and consider that you've probably spent more time than you care to imagine working with quadratics in all kinds of problems.

Putting the two together, it's not hard to see that quadratics fit nicely with multiple choice questions and are used in many places in high school math ala:
- factoring methods,
- quadratic formula
- multiplying,
- finding roots,
- plotting them,
- solving area problems given the area and some description of the sides in terms of x,
- the Pascal triangle relationship,
- differentiation of quadratics if you've had calculus,
- quadratics and trig functions
- quadratics and complex numbers...

Here's some discussion on them:

But I have not been taught quadratics in high school, unfortunately.

What? That's not right.

Quadratics are taught in Algebra I where you learn to factor them and then later learn the quadratic formula.

Take a look at these video topics from Algebra I and see if you covered them.

Perhaps your teacher called them polynomials.

Scan down the third column to see ploynomials and binomials.

What? That's not right.

Quadratics are taught in Algebra I where you learn to facotr them and then later learn the quadratic formula.

Take a look at these video topics from Algebra I and see if you covered them.

Perhaps your teacher called them binomials.

Scan down the third column to see ploynomials and binomials.
I missed quadratic equations because it wasn't listed in curriculum of my high school. Strangely, in final exam it was asked

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
But I have not been taught quadratics in high school, unfortunately.
Algebra 1:
Includes products to produce quadratic expressions and the factorization of quadratic expressions and maybe an introduction to graphing quadratic equations.

Algebra 2:
Among other topics, further develops knowledge of quadratic equations, functions, Completing The Square, and finding solutions to quadratic equations with the general solution. Also will include Conic Sections which also rely on completing the square, and graphs for these Conic Sections.

If you have not yet studied "Algebra 2" or Intermediate Algebra at your high school, do so!