Quadrupole Moment and Potential

In summary: I'm not to sure what the actual way I'm supposed to do it, I just figured it was multiple expansion because it said it wants the first 2 "terms", and it was in the multipole expansion chapter of griffith's introduction to electrodynamics.As I said, your approach is fine, and you will get the same result. I am just a bit curious as to why you want to avoid the "natural" way of doing this problem.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

Consider a physical dipole consisting of charge +q and −q separated by a distance a.
• At first consider the origin of coordinates to be located in the middle of the dipole and a positive charge to be located at a distance y = a/2 and negative charge at position y = −a/2. Find the first two nontrivial terms to the potential of this system at large distances.
• Second, place the charge −q at y = 0 and then place the other charge at y = a. Again, find the first two nontrivial terms to the potential of this system at large distances.
• Discuss the difference. In both cases use spherical coordinates.

Homework Equations

## V(r) = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \sum_{N=0}^{\infty} \frac 1 {r^{(n+1)}} \int (r')^n P_n(cos(\theta))\rho(r')d\tau' ##

## V(r)_{mono} = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac Q r ##

## V(r)_{dip} = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac {p \cdot \hat{r}} {r^2} ##

## Q = total charge ##

## p_dip = qd ##

The Attempt at a Solution

This is just my attempt for the first bullet point:

The V(r)_{mono} is 0, because the total charge is ## Q = +q - q = 0 ##.

The ##p_dip = \frac {qa} 2 \hat y - \frac {qa} 2 (-\hat y) = qa \hat y ##

The ##V(r)_{dip} = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac {qasin(\theta)sin(\phi)} {r^2}## because ## \hat{y} \cdot \hat{r} = sin(\theta)sin(\phi) ## within sphereical coordinates.

So, this gives me the first non-trivial term. My question from this is, how do I get the term for the quadrupole potential, or even the quadrupole moment, for that matter? I've tried getting it using the multipole expansion formula I gave above, but it doesn't simplify down as nice, and I'm not sure what to do with some of the components.

## V(r) = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \sum_{N=0}^{\infty} \frac 1 {r^{(n+1)}} \int (r')^n P_n(cos(\theta))\rho(r')d\tau' ##

## V(r) = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac 1 {r^3} \int (r')^2(\frac {3cos^2(\theta)-1} {2}) \rho(r')d\tau' ##

I'm not at all sure what to do with this integral, or even how to do it, or it's bounds. I've found some other derivations online, but I don't know anything about tensors, or kronecker delta functions. Is there anyway to just get into a simple enough form I can deal with like ## V(r)_{dip} ## ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

You sure you are supposed to do it this way and not by developing $$
V(\vec r) = \frac Q {4\pi\epsilon_0} \left [ {1\over |\vec r - {\vec a\over 2}|} - {1\over |\vec r + {\vec a\over 2}|} \right ] \quad ?$$

PS avoid things like ##qasin## in ##TeX## by using \sin to get ##qa\sin##

BvU said:
Hi,

You sure you are supposed to do it this way and not by developing $$
V(\vec r) = \frac Q {4\pi\epsilon_0} \left [ {1\over |\vec r - {\vec a\over 2}|} - {1\over |\vec r + {\vec a\over 2}|} \right ] \quad ?$$

PS avoid things like ##qasin## in ##TeX## by using \sin to get ##qa\sin##

I'm not to sure what the actual way I'm supposed to do it, I just figured it was multiple expansion because it said it wants the first 2 "terms", and it was in the multipole expansion chapter of griffith's introduction to electrodynamics.

All I have available is a 1999 pdf where he actually works out the first case (example 3.10: A physical electric dipole consists of ...) in polar coordinates up to order ##r^{-2}##, so only the first nontrivial term. And problem 3.29 asks to determine the quadrupole and octopole terms (so you're lucky your exercise only wants only the first two nonzero terms... :smile:)

Your multipole expansion yields the same expressions anyway, I expect: your charge distribution is indeed two delta functions and these are (for a physicist) defined with ##\int f(x) \delta(x-x') dx = f(x')##

1. What is a quadrupole moment and potential?

A quadrupole moment and potential is a measure of the distribution of electric charge or mass within a system. It describes the shape and orientation of the charge or mass distribution, and is defined by the second moment of the charge or mass distribution.

2. How is the quadrupole moment and potential calculated?

The quadrupole moment is calculated by summing the products of the charge or mass at each point and its distance from the origin, and then integrating over the entire system. The quadrupole potential is then determined using the calculated quadrupole moment and the distance from the center of the system.

3. What are the units of quadrupole moment and potential?

The units of quadrupole moment are typically expressed in units of charge or mass multiplied by distance squared (C*m^2 or kg*m^2). The units of quadrupole potential are typically expressed in units of energy divided by charge (J/C or V).

4. What is the significance of the quadrupole moment and potential in physics?

The quadrupole moment and potential are important in understanding the behavior of electric and gravitational fields in complex systems, such as molecules, atoms, and planets. They also play a role in the study of nuclear and particle physics.

5. Can the quadrupole moment and potential be measured experimentally?

Yes, the quadrupole moment and potential can be measured experimentally using techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy and mass spectrometry. These techniques allow for the determination of the quadrupole moment and potential of molecules and atoms, providing valuable information about their structure and properties.