1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quadrupole Moment and Potential

1. Oct 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a physical dipole consisting of charge +q and −q separated by a distance a.
    • At first consider the origin of coordinates to be located in the middle of the dipole and a positive charge to be located at a distance y = a/2 and negative charge at position y = −a/2. Find the first two nontrivial terms to the potential of this system at large distances.
    • Second, place the charge −q at y = 0 and then place the other charge at y = a. Again, find the first two nontrivial terms to the potential of this system at large distances.
    • Discuss the difference. In both cases use spherical coordinates.

2. Relevant equations

## V(r) = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \sum_{N=0}^{\infty} \frac 1 {r^{(n+1)}} \int (r')^n P_n(cos(\theta))\rho(r')d\tau' ##

## V(r)_{mono} = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac Q r ##

## V(r)_{dip} = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac {p \cdot \hat{r}} {r^2} ##

## Q = total charge ##

## p_dip = qd ##

3. The attempt at a solution

This is just my attempt for the first bullet point:

The V(r)_{mono} is 0, because the total charge is ## Q = +q - q = 0 ##.

The ##p_dip = \frac {qa} 2 \hat y - \frac {qa} 2 (-\hat y) = qa \hat y ##

The ##V(r)_{dip} = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac {qasin(\theta)sin(\phi)} {r^2}## because ## \hat{y} \cdot \hat{r} = sin(\theta)sin(\phi) ## within sphereical coordinates.

So, this gives me the first non-trivial term. My question from this is, how do I get the term for the quadrupole potential, or even the quadrupole moment, for that matter? I've tried getting it using the multipole expansion formula I gave above, but it doesn't simplify down as nice, and I'm not sure what to do with some of the components.

## V(r) = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \sum_{N=0}^{\infty} \frac 1 {r^{(n+1)}} \int (r')^n P_n(cos(\theta))\rho(r')d\tau' ##

## V(r) = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac 1 {r^3} \int (r')^2(\frac {3cos^2(\theta)-1} {2}) \rho(r')d\tau' ##

I'm not at all sure what to do with this integral, or even how to do it, or it's bounds. I've found some other derivations online, but I don't know anything about tensors, or kronecker delta functions. Is there anyway to just get into a simple enough form I can deal with like ## V(r)_{dip} ## ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,

You sure you are supposed to do it this way and not by developing $$
    V(\vec r) = \frac Q {4\pi\epsilon_0} \left [ {1\over |\vec r - {\vec a\over 2}|} - {1\over |\vec r + {\vec a\over 2}|} \right ] \quad ?$$

PS avoid things like ##qasin## in ##TeX## by using \sin to get ##qa\sin##

4. Oct 4, 2016 #3
    I'm not to sure what the actual way I'm supposed to do it, I just figured it was multiple expansion because it said it wants the first 2 "terms", and it was in the multipole expansion chapter of griffith's introduction to electrodynamics.

5. Oct 4, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All I have available is a 1999 pdf where he actually works out the first case (example 3.10: A physical electric dipole consists of ...) in polar coordinates up to order ##r^{-2}##, so only the first nontrivial term. And problem 3.29 asks to determine the quadrupole and octopole terms (so you're lucky your exercise only wants only the first two nonzero terms... :smile:)

Your multipole expansion yields the same expressions anyway, I expect: your charge distribution is indeed two delta functions and these are (for a physicist) defined with ##\int f(x) \delta(x-x') dx = f(x')##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted