Quantity of watersheds (homework)

• Thread starter _medo88_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, medo88 is new to the forum and is seeking help with their physics homework. They need to find the amount of water shed from the Mediterranean to the Adriatic sea, using the area and shape of the Adriatic sea and the height of tide at the entry point. The suggested shape is a triangle, but it may be more complicated. Medo88 has calculated a result of 37 Tl using the formula (length*width*height)/2.
_medo88_
I'm new on this forum, so I hope I picked the right thread.

For my Physics, I heve to do a homework.

Because the height of tide at entry of Mediterranean to Adriatic sea is negligible, assess from this and geographic data, how much amount of water sheds from Mediterranean to Adriatic sea.

height of tide in Tržaški zaliv=60cm

I'm apologising myself for mistakes I made in text.

TNX

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi medo88! Welcome to PF! :smile:

First, you need to find the area of the Adriatic sea.

Then draw a diagram for yourself … show the surface of the water at low tide and at high tide (or does the question only want half of this?) … what shape do you think that surface should be? :smile:

Yes, I was thinking that if this is a shape of triangle?? But, I'm not shure if that is right.

_medo88_ said:
Yes, I was thinking that if this is a shape of triangle?? But, I'm not shure if that is right.

It's probably much more complicated than a triangle …

but I think that is what the homework wants you to use.

So what is the volume? :smile:

Ok, tnx.
I just asked, because I wasn't sure, it looked to easy.

I calculated and the result was 37 Tl , what do you think??:confused:

Hi medo88! :smile:
_medo88_ said:
I calculated and the result was 37 Tl , what do you think??:confused:

I've no idea … you have to show me your calculations! :smile:

l...length=783,3 km
w...width=157.4 km
t...difference between low and high tide=60 cm

(l*w*t)/2=37Tl

Yes that looks like the right formula! :smile:

hmm … I agree with the 37, but not the Tl.

How do you get that?

Related to Quantity of watersheds (homework)

1. How is the quantity of watersheds measured?

The quantity of watersheds is typically measured using a unit called "square miles" or "square kilometers". This unit refers to the total area of land that drains into a particular body of water, such as a river, lake, or ocean. It is important to note that the quantity of watersheds can vary depending on the specific boundaries and characteristics of the watershed in question.

2. What factors affect the quantity of watersheds in a given area?

The quantity of watersheds can be influenced by a variety of factors, including topography, climate, land use, and human activities. For example, areas with steep slopes and high levels of precipitation are more likely to have a larger quantity of watersheds, while areas with flat terrain and lower levels of precipitation may have fewer watersheds. Additionally, human activities such as urban development, agriculture, and deforestation can alter the quantity of watersheds in a given area.

3. Why is it important to study the quantity of watersheds?

Studying the quantity of watersheds is crucial for understanding and managing the health of our freshwater resources. Watersheds play a critical role in regulating the quantity and quality of water in rivers, lakes, and oceans. By studying the quantity of watersheds, scientists can identify areas that are at risk of water scarcity or pollution and develop strategies to protect and sustain these vital resources.

4. How does the quantity of watersheds impact the environment?

The quantity of watersheds can have significant impacts on the environment, both locally and globally. For example, a decrease in the quantity of watersheds in a particular area can lead to a decrease in the availability of freshwater, which can have negative effects on plants, animals, and humans that rely on this resource. On a larger scale, the quantity of watersheds can also affect global water cycles and climate patterns.

5. Can the quantity of watersheds change over time?

Yes, the quantity of watersheds can change over time due to natural processes and human activities. Natural processes such as erosion, sedimentation, and changes in weather patterns can alter the boundaries and characteristics of watersheds. Human activities, such as land use changes and water extraction, can also impact the quantity of watersheds in a given area. It is important for scientists to continually monitor and study these changes to better understand and manage our freshwater resources.