Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantium Physics or Theorectial Physics?

1. May 6, 2003 #1
    Beta particles can be targeted at a alpha target (negative vs positive). I was wondering that this can be done using a Particle accelerator. This guy i saw working on this was working with sub atomic particles quarks etc if im correct? I was wondering what would be the reason this was being done? in physics terms of course

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2003 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, you could smash alpha particles and beta particles together, but since the two particles have radically different masses, you wouldn't use a collider. You'd instead just direct an electron beam (beta ray) at a stationary sample of helium ions.

Particle physics is largely done with electron-positron colliders (LEP @ CERN) and proton-antiproton colliders (Tevatron @ Fermilab) these days.

The reason we collide particles is because the energy is manifested in lots of new particles -- say you smash a proton and an antiproton together -- you get out huge jets of (sometimes) thousands of particles. We sift through all the debris from hundreds of thousands of interactions to find the particles we want to find -- for example, a particular quark or meson resonance.

- Warren

4. May 6, 2003 #3
    Don't forget new heavy ion colliders, like RHIC at Brookhaven.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?