Quantized Dirac field calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the fermionic propagator for the quantized Dirac field. The main issue is understanding how to take the term (iγ⋅∂+m) outside of the integral in step 5.27 to get 5.28. It is explained that since p is an integration variable, it can be replaced with -p in the second term of 5.27. This resolves the first question. The second question is also addressed, and it is explained that the difference in D(x-y) and D(y-x) can be seen from equation 5.29. It is also mentioned that the anticommutation relation does not violate causality because the fermion field
Nod
Hi everyone!

I'm having a problem with calculating the fermionic propagator for the quantized Dirac field as in the attached pdf. The step that puzzles me is the one performed at 5.27 to get 5.28. Why can I take outside (iγ⋅∂+m) if the second term in 5.27 has (iγ⋅∂-m)? And why there's a difference of the D(x-y) and D(y-x)?

Attachments

• qft.dvi - five.pdf
    219 KB · Views: 191
Physics news on Phys.org
Since ##p## is an integration variable, in the second term in (5.27) you can replace ##p## with ##-p##. (More precisely, introduce a new variable ##p'=-p## and then remove the prime since it is a dummy variable.) With a little extra work, that should resolve your first question. The answer to the second question should be obvious from (5.29).

A more interesting comment on that page of Tong lectures is that the anticommutation relation does not violate causality because the fermion field is not an observable, while bilinear observables commute (not anticommute). That's an important lesson to those who like to interpret fields as "fundamental" objects.

Likes vanhees71 and Nod
Demystifier said:
Since ##p## is an integration variable, in the second term in (5.27) you can replace ##p## with ##-p##. (More precisely, introduce a new variable ##p'=-p## and then remove the prime since it is a dummy variable.) With a little extra work, that should resolve your first question. The answer to the second question should be obvious from (5.29).

I also thought like this, but still I have doubts:
If I replace ##p## with ##-p##, then instead of
##\displaystyle{\not} p = γ_μ p^μ = γ_0 p^0 +γ_i p^i##
I'll have
##\displaystyle{\not}p = γ_μ p^μ = γ_0 p^0 -γ_i p^i##.
But the last equation is not equal to ##-\displaystyle{\not}p## , because for that also the energy part ##γ_0 p^0## must change the sign!

Nod said:
Hi everyone!

I'm having a problem with calculating the fermionic propagator for the quantized Dirac field as in the attached pdf. The step that puzzles me is the one performed at 5.27 to get 5.28. Why can I take outside (iγ⋅∂+m) if the second term in 5.27 has (iγ⋅∂-m)? And why there's a difference of the D(x-y) and D(y-x)?

I think it's pretty straightforward:

[itex]D(x-y) = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_p} e^{-i p \cdot(x-y)}[/itex]

So: [itex](i \displaystyle{\not} \partial + m) D(x-y) = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_p} (+\displaystyle{\not} p + m) e^{-i p \cdot(x-y)}[/itex]

[itex]D(y-x) = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_p} e^{-i p \cdot(y-x)} = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_p} e^{+i p \cdot(x-y)}[/itex]

So: [itex](i \displaystyle{\not} \partial + m) D(y-x) = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_p} (- \displaystyle{\not} p + m) e^{-i p \cdot(x-y)}[/itex]

Subtract the two and you get:

[itex](i \displaystyle{\not} \partial + m) D(x-y) - (i \displaystyle{\not} \partial + m) D(y-x) [/itex]
[itex]= \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_p} ((+ \displaystyle{\not} p + m) e^{-i p \cdot(x-y)} - (- \displaystyle{\not} p + m) e^{-i p \cdot(x-y)})[/itex]

You have to remember that [itex]\partial[/itex] acts on [itex]x[/itex], not [itex]y[/itex], and that [itex]i \displaystyle{\not}\partial e^{\mp i p \cdot (x-y)} = \pm \displaystyle{\not}p e^{-i p \cdot (x-y)}[/itex]

Likes Demystifier, Nod and vanhees71
stevendaryl said:
I think it's pretty straightforward:

[itex]D(x-y) = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_p} e^{-i p \cdot(x-y)}[/itex]

So: [itex](i \displaystyle{\not} \partial + m) D(x-y) = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_p} (+\displaystyle{\not} p + m) e^{-i p \cdot(x-y)}[/itex]

[itex]D(y-x) = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_p} e^{-i p \cdot(y-x)} = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_p} e^{+i p \cdot(x-y)}[/itex]

So: [itex](i \displaystyle{\not} \partial + m) D(y-x) = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_p} (- \displaystyle{\not} p + m) e^{-i p \cdot(x-y)}[/itex]

Subtract the two and you get:

[itex](i \displaystyle{\not} \partial + m) D(x-y) - (i \displaystyle{\not} \partial + m) D(y-x) [/itex]
[itex]= \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_p} ((+ \displaystyle{\not} p + m) e^{-i p \cdot(x-y)} - (- \displaystyle{\not} p + m) e^{-i p \cdot(x-y)})[/itex]

You have to remember that [itex]\partial[/itex] acts on [itex]x[/itex], not [itex]y[/itex], and that [itex]i \displaystyle{\not}\partial e^{\mp i p \cdot (x-y)} = \pm \displaystyle{\not}p e^{-i p \cdot (x-y)}[/itex]

Thank you for explanation! Now I get where the signs come from :)

1. What is a quantized Dirac field?

A quantized Dirac field is a theoretical model in quantum field theory that describes the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. It is based on the Dirac equation, which was developed by British physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s.

2. How is a quantized Dirac field calculated?

The calculation of a quantized Dirac field involves solving the Dirac equation, which is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of fermions in terms of their spin, momentum, and energy. This equation is solved using mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory and Feynman diagrams.

3. What is the significance of quantized Dirac field calculations?

Quantized Dirac field calculations are important in understanding the behavior of fundamental particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. They also play a crucial role in the development of theories and models in fields such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum computing.

4. How are quantized Dirac field calculations used in experimental physics?

Quantized Dirac field calculations are used to make predictions about the behavior of particles in experiments, which can then be compared to actual experimental results. This helps to validate the theories and models used in quantum field theory and can also lead to the discovery of new particles or phenomena.

5. What are some potential applications of quantized Dirac field calculations?

Quantized Dirac field calculations have numerous potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, where they can be used to develop more efficient algorithms and to study the behavior of quantum systems. They also have applications in technologies such as transistors and lasers, where understanding the behavior of electrons is crucial.