Quantum algorithms on Graphs VS Quantum Graphs

In summary, the conversation is about a student with a background in computer science who is interested in quantum mechanics and is studying quantum information and computation for their undergraduate thesis. They have come across lecture slides about quantum graphs and are having trouble understanding the concept, specifically the use of "Sobolev spaces". They inquire about the differences between quantum graphs and traditional graphs defined by graph theory. A helpful explanation is given, but the concept is still beyond the student's current level of understanding. They request any additional resources or explanations to aid in their understanding of quantum graphs.
fedonman
Hello people,

i am an undergraduate student on computer science (so i don't have a strong background in physics) and i am very interested in quantum mechanics and its affection the way we see information. I am studying for my "thesis" (well it's not exactly thesis when you talk about undergraduate level) which is about quantum information/computation and quantum algorithms for several graph problems.

The thing is, i fell upon some lecture slide notes of Peter Kuchment about quantum graphs defining them as: "A quantum graph Γ is a metric graph equipped with a self-adjoint operator H." I must admit i find it very hard to understand his notes since it has some first encountered words like "Sobolev spaces".

My question is: What are the differences of quantum graph over the graphs we all know defined by graph theory? For example, can you say a quantum graph is Hamiltonian or traverse it? Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fedonman,

Welcome to PF.

First off, it would be useful if you can give a link to these slides since it will probably help us decipher them.

Without knowing anything else, it sounds like "quantum graph" is here meant to be some kind of quantum system system where the degrees of freedom reside on the graph and interact in a way determined by the graph connectivity. However, that's still pretty vague, so details will be useful. In this way of speaking a quantum graph is a structure built on top of an ordinary graph.

See also the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_graph which may be relevant.

Hi and thanks for the welcoming.

The notes can be found here. I have already seen the wiki page, but doesn't help much since the main reference of the article is the same notes...

OK, well I can already decipher some of the notes.

You take a graph with a length assigned to each edge. You should think of each edge as like a square well of the given length. Then at each vertex you impose some kind of boundary condition. That could be that all wavefunctions vanish at the vertex so that each edge is like an infinite square well. More generally, you can consider various boundary conditions that couple the edges entering a given vertex together. For example, you could require that the probability current [itex] \psi^\star \nabla \psi + ... [/itex] for each edge, summed over all edges, vanishes at each vertex. A quantum graph is then a metric graph with the hilbert space defined as above from the edges, with hamiltonians for each edge, and finally with boundary conditions at all the vertices.

Physics Monkey, thank you for your reply.

Obviously, you are in another level of understanding physics... I still don't understand what really a quantum graph is, although your description helps a bit. The thing is, since i am not very used to the mathematical tools and theoretical physics background, usually i need a practical example (in a sense something that can be seen, or visualised).

What i am sure now, is the structure called quantum graph, is beyond the boundaries of my essay, which studies quantum algorithms on graphs. But, i would like to learn more about it. Unfortunately, i cannot find online the books suggested in the lecture. So, if someone, knows a good online (in the sense of free) reference and/or previous knowledge background that might be needed, please point the way. Also, any other kind of explanation/description whould be more than welcomed!

thank you

Related to Quantum algorithms on Graphs VS Quantum Graphs

What is the difference between quantum algorithms on graphs and quantum graphs?

Quantum algorithms on graphs refer to the use of quantum computers to solve problems related to graphs, such as finding the shortest path or determining connectivity. On the other hand, quantum graphs are mathematical models that describe the behavior of quantum systems, such as electrons moving through a lattice structure.

Can quantum algorithms on graphs be applied to any type of graph?

Yes, quantum algorithms on graphs can be applied to any type of graph, including directed and undirected graphs, weighted and unweighted graphs, and even multigraphs. However, the efficiency and effectiveness of these algorithms may vary depending on the specific characteristics of the graph.

How do quantum algorithms on graphs compare to classical algorithms?

Quantum algorithms on graphs have the potential to outperform classical algorithms in certain cases, especially when dealing with large and complex graphs. This is because quantum computers have the ability to process and analyze multiple paths simultaneously, whereas classical computers can only handle one path at a time.

What are the potential applications of quantum algorithms on graphs?

Quantum algorithms on graphs have a wide range of potential applications, including optimizing transportation networks, analyzing social networks, and improving supply chain management. They can also be used in fields such as chemistry and biology to study molecular structures and protein interactions.

What are the limitations of quantum algorithms on graphs?

One of the main limitations of quantum algorithms on graphs is the requirement for specialized hardware, specifically quantum computers. These machines are still in the early stages of development and are not yet widely available. Additionally, the accuracy and reliability of quantum algorithms can be affected by noise and errors in the quantum system.