Quantum and solid state physics

In summary: No, the conversion factor from MeV/c to kgm/s is not 2. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the momentum and kinetic energy of an electron and a proton that are accelerated through a potential difference of 10MV. The momentum of the electron is found to be 10.5MeV/c using the relativistic formula, and the kinetic energy is 10MeV. The conversation then moves on to compare the relativistic and classical formulas for calculating momentum and kinetic energy, and the units are discussed. Finally, the conversation concludes with the acknowledgement that the conversion factor from MeV/c to kgm/s is not 2.
zacl79

Homework Statement

An electron and a proton are each accelerated through a potential difference of 10MV. find the momentum in MeV/c and the kinetic energy in MeV of each using relativistic formulae and compare with the results of using the classical formulae. Are the particles moving at relativistic speed?

Homework Equations

p=1/c*sqr((E^2)- (mc^2)^2)
p=ymc^2
p=mv
Ek=1/2mv^2

Rest energy of electron is 0.511MeV
Rest energy of proton is 938MeV

The Attempt at a Solution

i have found the momentum of the electron to be 10.5Mev/c by p=1/c sqr(((10+.511)^2)-(0.511)^2). And i believe that the kinetic energy of the electron is 10MeV.
The problem arises when i try to calculate the classical momentum and compare it to the relativistic. I think once shown how to do that i can apply it to the proton. But this question has had me going around in circles for quite some time.
I appreciate the help anyone can give me.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, the KE of the electron is 10 MeV.
How do you calculate kinetic energy and momentum in Classical Mechanics?

ehild

Ek=1/2mv^2 and p=mv, v/c=sqr(1-((mc^2)/E)^2)
i only have a problem when it asks to compare them, they have to be in the same units to compare properly don't they?

zacl79 said:
Ek=1/2mv^2 and p=mv, v/c=sqr(1-((mc^2)/E)^2)
i only have a problem when it asks to compare them, they have to be in the same units to compare properly don't they?

Yes, of course, but you can converse MeV to joules, don't you?

ehild

yes, i can convert to joules 1eV=1.6x10^-19 J, but what about momentum? obviously there is somethign that I am not quite clicking onto unit wise, how does Mev/c convert into kg.m/s?

Convert MeV to joules [kgm^2/s^2] Dividing by c [m/s] results in kgm/s.

ehild

by doing so, won't i be out out by a factor of 2, as Ek=1/2mv^2 and p=mv?

1. What is the difference between quantum physics and solid state physics?

Quantum physics is the study of the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level, while solid state physics is the study of the properties of solid materials, such as crystals and semiconductors. Quantum physics is a fundamental theory that explains the behavior of particles, while solid state physics is concerned with the collective behavior of atoms in a solid material.

2. How does quantum mechanics explain the properties of solids?

Quantum mechanics explains the properties of solids by considering the behavior of electrons within the solid. In solids, electrons are constrained to specific energy levels, which leads to unique properties such as electrical conductivity and magnetism. Quantum mechanics also explains the interactions between electrons and the lattice structure of the solid material.

3. What are some real-world applications of quantum and solid state physics?

Quantum and solid state physics have many real-world applications, including transistors and computer microchips, solar cells, LED lights, and lasers. They are also used in medical imaging technologies, such as MRI machines, and in developing new materials for various industries.

4. How does quantum tunneling work?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential barrier even if it does not have enough energy to overcome it. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously. In quantum tunneling, there is a small probability that the particle will pass through the barrier, allowing it to seemingly "tunnel" through.

5. What is the role of symmetry in solid state physics?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in solid state physics as it dictates the properties of a material. The symmetries present in the crystal lattice of a solid determine its electronic and optical properties. Symmetry also plays a role in the behavior of electrons in a solid, such as determining whether a material is a conductor, insulator, or semiconductor.