Quantum Entanglement. Is spin conserved?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entanglement between two photons and the collapse of their superposition by measuring one of them. The question of whether spin is conserved and what direction the other photon will spin is also raised, with the answer depending on how the photons were created.
Clever Penguin
I have two photons that are entangled and exist in all possible states simultaneously. By measuring photon A, I cause the superposition to collapse, and i can see that it has a certain spin (say left). This measurement also causes photon B's superposition to collapse, but will it be spinning left or right?

Is spin conserved? If so, then should photon B be spinning right? In some articles i have read, the photons both spin in the same direction, and in others it is in opposite directions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clever Penguin said:
Is spin conserved? If so, then should photon B be spinning right? In some articles i have read, the photons both spin in the same direction, and in others it is in opposite directions.

The difference of the measured angles can be any value (of course within ##0## and ##2\pi##). The mathematical definition of entanglement doesn't limit this. Conservation of angular momentum (spin is a kind of angular momentum) just means that the entangled pair that is created has to have the same total angular momentum as that of what was used to create it.

Likes Clever Penguin
Clever Penguin said:
If so, then should photon B be spinning right? In some articles i have read, the photons both spin in the same direction, and in others it is in opposite directions.

It depends on how they are created. For example, Type I PDC usually produces pairs that have the same spin. Type II PDC usually produces pairs that have opposite spin. And there are many other techniques too, so it varies.

Likes Clever Penguin

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. This connection exists even if the particles are separated and can occur through a process called quantum entanglement.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two or more particles interact and become "entangled" with each other. This means that their properties, such as spin, become correlated and cannot be described independently. When one particle's state is measured, the state of the other particle is instantly determined, even if they are separated by large distances.

3. Can quantum entanglement be used for communication?

No, quantum entanglement cannot be used for communication. While the particles are connected, information cannot be transmitted through this entanglement. Any attempt to use this phenomenon for communication would result in a random and uncorrelated string of measurements, making it impossible to send coherent messages.

4. What is spin conservation in quantum entanglement?

Spin conservation in quantum entanglement refers to the principle that the total spin of a system remains constant even when two or more particles become entangled. This means that if one particle has an "up" spin, the other particle must have a "down" spin in order to conserve the total spin of the system.

5. How is quantum entanglement useful in quantum computing?

Quantum entanglement is a crucial element in quantum computing. By harnessing the properties of entangled particles, quantum computers can perform operations on multiple qubits simultaneously, allowing for faster and more efficient calculations. Entanglement also allows for secure communication in quantum cryptography, as any attempt to intercept the information would result in a change in the entangled particles' state, making it detectable.