Quantum Mechanics and Hanbury Brown and Twiss Effect: Measuring Star Diameters

• Thread starter mapsread
  • Start date
In summary, the first measurement of the diameter of a star other than the Sun was done using quantum mechanics. If one has two detectors, then there are distinguishable and indistinguishable interactions with photons from the star. My question is: is it supposed to be obvious on the face of it that one is distinguishable and the other not?
mapsread
Greetings,

Apparently the first measurement of the diameter of a star other than the Sun was done using quantum mechanics -- specifically, the Hanbury Brown and Twiss effect. If one has two detectors, then there are distinguishable and indistinguishable interactions with photons from the star. My question: Is it supposed to be obvious on the face of it that one is distinguishable and the other not? Or does the answer lie on some other effect deep within the apparatus/experiment?

Tech details:
Consider photons coming from the star; some from the "left" side of the star, and some from the "right" side. If two left photons hit the detectors, they are distinguishable. Similarly, if two right photons hit the detectors, they are distinguishable. However, if a left and right photon hit the detectors, they are indistinguishable: we don't know if the left photon hit the left detector and the right photon hit the right detector, or the left photon hit the right detector and the right photon hit the left detector (and, in fact, must be both at once).

Why is one distinguishable and the other not? Do people just look at this and get it, or is more information required?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Mapsread,
Can you post a link to where you read this way of explaining the HBT experiment?

I just took a quick look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanbury_Brown_and_Twiss_effect
And it explains the effect without specifically saying that the "both right" or "both left" pairs are distinguishable.

Last edited:
Hi Swamp Thing,

Thanks for your response. It is problem 70.9 from Exercises for the Feynman Lectures On Physics, The New Millennium Edition. I looked around the web, but could not find the problem in e-form (not surprisingly, it's probably copyrighted). The answer in the back refers to some paths being distinguishable and others not. It seems impossible to me to determine that from the information given in the problem.

I agree that the Wikipedia article doesn't explicitly refer to the problem as I stated it, but the last section, Quantum Interpretation, and the figure with red and green arrows may hint at it: "Consider two points a and b [...] A joint detection [occurs for the arrows that are red or green...] If the photons are indistinguishable [(presumably what is meant by "joint" in the preceding)], the two amplitudes interfere constructively to give a joint detection probability greater than that for two independent events [(the Wikipedia article makes no mention of what these independent events might be, but my other source says they're two photons from a, or two photons from b)].

I suppose I'm wondering whether to keep working through Exercises for the Feynman Lectures on Physics or toss it.

Thanks!

Related to Quantum Mechanics and Hanbury Brown and Twiss Effect: Measuring Star Diameters

1. What is Quantum Mechanics and how does it relate to the Hanbury Brown and Twiss Effect?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior and interactions of particles on a very small scale. The Hanbury Brown and Twiss Effect is a phenomenon in which the correlation of photons from a distant star can be used to measure its diameter. This effect relies on the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the concept of quantum entanglement.

2. How is the Hanbury Brown and Twiss Effect used to measure star diameters?

The Hanbury Brown and Twiss Effect involves measuring the correlation of photons from a distant star using a device called an interferometer. By analyzing the interference patterns of the photons, scientists can determine the size of the star's surface. This method is more accurate than traditional methods that rely on the intensity of light from the star.

3. What is the significance of measuring star diameters using the Hanbury Brown and Twiss Effect?

Measuring star diameters using the Hanbury Brown and Twiss Effect allows for more precise and accurate measurements, which in turn can provide valuable information about the properties and evolution of stars. This method also has implications for understanding the structure of the universe and the behavior of particles at a quantum level.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Hanbury Brown and Twiss Effect to measure star diameters?

While the Hanbury Brown and Twiss Effect is a powerful tool for measuring star diameters, it does have some limitations. It is most effective for measuring stars that are relatively close to Earth, and it may not work for stars that are too faint or too bright. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements may be affected by atmospheric conditions or other sources of interference.

5. Can the Hanbury Brown and Twiss Effect be applied to other areas of research?

Yes, the Hanbury Brown and Twiss Effect has been used in various fields of research, such as astronomy, quantum optics, and even in the study of biological systems. It has also been used to measure the size of particles in a laboratory setting. This effect has broad applications and continues to be a valuable tool in understanding the behavior of particles and systems at a quantum level.